PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wes Welker: Is He Canton Bound

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsBoy12

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Hi All,

With the news that Welker is weighing his options and may not return for the upcoming season, I just wanted to pose the question whether or not he is deserving of the HOF? What do you all think? Should he make it, or would his astounding numbers be considered a product of Tom Brady and the style they ran during his time here? Even if that is the case, does he not deserve to be in for putting up said numbers anyway?

He was a tough S.O.B. but I know there will be those who will forever scorn him because of the SB and other big drops in big moments. But if at all possible to get past that and look strictly at what he produced and the plays he did make, does he deserve it?

NFL Rumor Central: Wes Welker still 'weighing my options'

i would probably say no due to the fact there are a bunch of WRs with better career numbers that would need to get in before Wes. That is not taking away from the fact that he was great for us.

I know it's salty of me to say, but I hope all the contract stuff was worth it. He'd probably still be playing and have another 1500-2000 yards if he stayed. For a guy that's facing an up hill battle that'd really help.

Still the best to play his position and that should be enough.

Well, he was a Patriot, so...

gifted_mathematics_black_and_white_balls.png

Doubtful, had SB 42 been closed out he'd prob have been MVP and it's a bit of a different story....weird because nothing he did had to change for that to happen.

I doubt it but he had about a six to seven year run that was outstanding. He should be in the Patriots HOF but I doubt fans will vote him in. He will get my vote as soon as he is eligible.

I'll say probably not, just because the slot receiver position seems to be devalued (as others have said), but I think he was definitely good enough in his prime to warrant getting in.

Doubtful, had SB 42 been closed out he'd prob have been MVP and it's a bit of a different story....weird because nothing he did had to change for that to happen.
Forgive me for noticing the irony of your statement (not a dig at you at all). But the fact that he "prob have been MVP," while he's not widely regarded as the reason NE fails to win that one is an interesting one.

It got me thinking of how much of a SB jinx Welker apparently turned out being. We lost both SB's we played with him, though he played pretty well in both, and Denver lost the one they played with him. In each case both teams went on to win championships just a few years after his departure each time. That's interesting.

• Agree
Reactions: rfh
Forgive me for noticing the irony of your statement (not a dig at you at all). But the fact that he "prob have been MVP," while he's not widely regarded as the reason NE fails to win that one is an interesting one.

It got me thinking of how much of a SB jinx Welker apparently turned out being. We lost both SB's we played with him, though he played pretty well in both, and Denver lost the one they played with him. In each case both teams went on to win championships just a few years after his departure each time. That's interesting.
Wes was one of the few to show up for Denver that day. Wish Wes could have gotten a ring with us. Hopefully he dones a red jacket one day in Foxborough.

I love Wes and he can get into Canton like everyone else by buying a ticket.

He should definitely be in the Patriots HoF, but Canton would probably be a stretch. Even if he was one of the players who helped bring it back to having a meaningful impact on offense (though it was there before him, but he seemed to be there to bring prominence to the position.

I know it's salty of me to say, but I hope all the contract stuff was worth it. He'd probably still be playing and have another 1500-2000 yards if he stayed. For a guy that's facing an up hill battle that'd really help.

Still the best to play his position and that should be enough.

He'd also have a ring

Welker averaged 112 receptions, 1243 yards, and 6 TDs during his 6 years with the Pats.

Michael Irvin averaged 82 receptions, 1286.5 yards, and 6.25 over the last 8 years of his career..
Marvin Harrison averaged 103.25 receptions, 1403 yards and 12.625 TDs from 1999 through 2006.

I think that what will work against Welker is how Great Tom Brady is. The committee will look at what Julian Edelman has done since Welker left and use that to discount Welker.

I think that Welker is a borderline HOF candidate that will probably not get in..

I doubt it but he had about a six to seven year run that was outstanding. He should be in the Patriots HOF but I doubt fans will vote him in. He will get my vote as soon as he is eligible.
I think when the time comes we will forgive him and welcome him back he definitely earned a red jacket. And the Yellow one is close that drop hurts us but his numbers in the SBs he played in will be one of his bigger reasons for Canton consideration had he won one his chances would be better. I think he falls just short of Canton.

no

On another note, I didn't realize it was possible to get "Into Canton" by buying a ticket...o_O

Welker averaged 112 receptions, 1243 yards, and 6 TDs during his 6 years with the Pats.

Michael Irvin averaged 82 receptions, 1286.5 yards, and 6.25 over the last 8 years of his career..
Marvin Harrison averaged 103.25 receptions, 1403 yards and 12.625 TDs from 1999 through 2006.

I think that what will work against Welker is how Great Tom Brady is. The committee will look at what Julian Edelman has done since Welker left and use that to discount Welker.

I think that Welker is a borderline HOF candidate that will probably not get in..
If he were a Colt and a media darling then maybe...

He was great but will come up short..

He was a true Patriot for several years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes