PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wes Welker Contract Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welker and Hoyer to the Cardinals? Itd give Hoyer Fitzgerald, Welker, and Breaston to work with. This is only if BB doesnt see Welker past 2011 and wants value. Ochocinco could take his spot and be more of a downfield threat.

Why would we want to do that deal, what do we get out of it? I'll send Hoyer and Welker to AZ but I want Fitzgerald for us.

Welker played his best when Moss was on the field. The crosss rift, not being able to double both of em left him more open. That hasnt happened since. He could stay if a discount is accepted, but he is a guy I was thinking might be traded during the draft had that been an option. FA 30 year old WRs are everywhere, best to let him play out his contract year and hope he has a monster year.....we might end up with a 3rd rd comp pick.

Welker played his best when Moss was on the field. The crosss rift, not being able to double both of em left him more open. That hasnt happened since. He could stay if a discount is accepted, but he is a guy I was thinking might be traded during the draft had that been an option. FA 30 year old WRs are everywhere, best to let him play out his contract year and hope he has a monster year.....we might end up with a 3rd rd comp pick.

Yes, because we have all that data of a healthy Welker sans Moss to base our conclusions on. :rolleyes:

I love the guy, but it's not good business to sign a WR who is 30 years old or older to a big contract. Not to mention, we already have a guy who can play the same role.

If we're gonna sign a WR to a big contract, go after a home run hitter like Santonio.

I think some people are quick to write him off just because of the role he plays, and he's not seen as a 'homerun hitter', but in my opinion, if he's on that team that lost to indy in the playoffs we win that game and the superbowl.
of course, that's just my opinion.
I'd rather win the superbowl than hit a homerun.

this isn't to say we should cut him a 5y/45m deal, nor do I think we will, but at this point in time he's still on the team, so why throw dirt on the guy -- while nobody's irreplaceable, I'd certainly rather have the than not.

let's just get to the season, then we can worry about week 1 and let the trades take care of themselves.

I think some people are quick to write him off just because of the role he plays, and he's not seen as a 'homerun hitter', but in my opinion, if he's on that team that lost to indy in the playoffs we win that game and the superbowl.
of course, that's just my opinion.
I'd rather win the superbowl than hit a homerun.

this isn't to say we should cut him a 5y/45m deal, nor do I think we will, but at this point in time he's still on the team, so why throw dirt on the guy -- while nobody's irreplaceable, I'd certainly rather have the than not.

let's just get to the season, then we can worry about week 1 and let the trades take care of themselves.

I agree, and am somewhat surprised that many are quick to replace or write him off as a business decision etc.

If any of us here thought that the Brady/Branch chemistry was important, how do you feel about Wes Welker?? He is the single-handed most important value to this offense (besides the obvious TFB) than anyone else IMO. The timing routes, the tendency to know what Tom's thinking and where he wants to go, the quick cut-offs, audibles, the blue-chip high standard that you know you're going to get with every..single..snap.

For those that are quick to replace his value to Tom Brady with Edelman, I am not so sure. While Edelman gives you the same mold of player, I really doubt that he can be a Wes Welker 'clone' just with the snap of a finger. For those that even bring up the option of replacing him with Woodhead---I think you are delusional, and I can't even see the outright comparison. For those that want to replace him with Shane Vareen?? I can't even comment on that. He hasn't even played a down here, and may offer a dump off versatility a la Woodhead--but c'mon now??

Welker is every single thing that we, as fans want here on the team, and his chemistry with Brady is second to none. I can only hope that the team offers him a fair market value deal (6-7 1/2 per), and that he remains a Patriot.

In my opinion, the offense will drop a couple of levels without that predictable 'go-to' guy that we have in Welker. When the chips are down, there isn't another guy that Tom wants to throw to--that seems obvious. Just remember how many (including myself) expected him to be PUP'ed, if he even plays at all last year. The injury happened in freaking January. His tendency to work hard all offseason, and give his 100% all should be rewarded, not questioned b/c he didn't have a typical 'WW year (120+ catches).

Key word being speculates. Definition: Form a theory or conjecture about a subject without firm evidence.

I can speculate BB is going to retire tomorrow to become a professional bull rider. Who cares about stuff people admit to making up???

Last edited:
Key word being speculates. Definition: Form a theory or conjecture about a subject without firm evidence.

I can speculate BB is going to retire tomorrow to become a professional bull rider. Who cares about stuff people admit to making up???

Be serious. Everyone knows that he wants to be on Food Network. ;)

Remember '07 when Welker showed what he could do?

It was great, we a little white guy tearing it up and at the time it was somewhat uncommon.....now you draft a 7th round QB and you have Welker 2.0.

I love Wes but if he's not willing to stay for a hometown discount.....we'll miss ya, man.

Remember '07 when Welker showed what he could do?

It was great, we a little white guy tearing it up and at the time it was somewhat uncommon.....now you draft a 7th round QB and you have Welker 2.0.

I love Wes but if he's not willing to stay for a hometown discount.....we'll miss ya, man.

With all respect Dufflebagz, what is making everyone assume that Edelman is "WW 2.0?" In a few games in 2009 he was able to play well enough to give us all hope, particularly the BAL playoff loss. But, we have no idea if his playcalls were scaled down, more limited etc--likely they were.

Even though I love Edelman, and I think he does certainly have a chance at being almost as good at certain areas, I don't understand why so many discredit exactly what Welker does--and that happens to be Brady's right hand guy. No doubt Tom has to appreciate Wes' chemistry with him.

How long will it take for Edelman to develop that same chemistry? Can it even be done? At what cost to the offense, and the 'closing Brady window' that so many continue to speak of?

I agree that Edelman MAY be able to provide MOST of what Welker does, but can we really be sure?

It sure seems as though a lot of posters are assuming :

1. That Edelman can immediately pick up where Welker left off, and that they are basically clones of each other :eek:

2. That Welker is going to try and break the bank here, instead of taking a reasonable pay increase up to 6-7 million a year. That is what I believe he is worth, maybe a little more. That is also what I believe would be a 'reasonable' and fair side for both parties involved. Can we really not afford to pay Wes an extra 4-5 million a year? And would that set the offense back a bit? FWIW--I have seen nothing at all that should lead any of us to believe that Welker will not take 'a bit' of a hometown discount. In other words, I think he'd agree to a bit less than what other teams would offer. It will be interesting to see exactly what that price range will be. I don't worry in the least about Tom Curran's article, or his opinion. That's really all that the article is--one man's opinion. And as we know, he's been wrong before on very important issues, and can be a bit of a pot-stirrer.

It sure seemed as though Edelman had a GREAT game in the BAL loss, but at the same time didn't it seem coincidental that Brady could not find anyone else open at all, and that just about everyone here blamed the lack of Welker on the offense's inefficiency?

I don't think there's any 'correct' answer here, it can be debated forever, but I do wonder if the majority of the board isn't making some interesting assumptions regarding Welker and Edelman.

Last edited:
Maybe 3 years 21 mill?

Last edited:
I was the very first person on the Welker bandwagon outside of his immediate family. I love the guy and hope he sticks around for as long as he wants, a la Troy Brown.

But something tells me that this situation isn't nearly as rosey as fans wish it were. I can see NE holding off on approaching Wes heading in the 2009/2010 season/offseason since he was coming off a serious injury. But he proved his worth and it surprised me that negotiations never got serious.

I hope I'm wrong, but I get the feeling this is his final season in NE.

2009/2010 off-season?? Umm.. That was 2 years ago..

2009/2010 off-season?? Umm.. That was 2 years ago..

Poorly written. The 2009 offseason (starting after the Balitmore loss) into the early 2010 season.

Last edited:
Maybe 3 years 21 mill?

Welker is one of the most underpaid players in the league, but I don't think any team is going to offer him that much.

Something to keep in mind, if BB decides to go with 2 TE sets the need for a slot receiver diminishes greatly. With the O-line (5), QB (1), TEs(2), and RB (1) on the field you only have room for 2 WRs, what are the chances a guy whose main use is in the slot gets a lot of playing time?

Why pay a lot of money for someone who likely won’t be on the field that much?

A 2nd? The trade probably wouldn't happen though.

BB set a standard this year.

Trade Welker no sooner than week 4 and for no less than a 2nd and 6th. Need to make a profit off of the 2nd and 7th we traded for him.

We can do what we did with deion

trade for a 2nd this year ,let him make money and then resign him in 2 yrs as he is now brady`s binky.

Something to keep in mind, if BB decides to go with 2 TE sets the need for a slot receiver diminishes greatly. With the O-line (5), QB (1), TEs(2), and RB (1) on the field you only have room for 2 WRs, what are the chances a guy whose main use is in the slot gets a lot of playing time?

Why pay a lot of money for someone who likely won’t be on the field that much?

Umm . . . you do realize that even with the 2-TE sets this year Welker was on the field for more snaps than any TE/RB/WR other than GRONK?

Umm . . . you do realize that even with the 2-TE sets this year Welker was on the field for more snaps than any TE/RB/WR other than GRONK?

Ok, but does BB do that this season if he has other options at WR? Our WR corp last year wasn't exactly stocked.

Ok, but does BB do that this season if he has other options at WR? Our WR corp last year wasn't exactly stocked.

Who are these other options? Those clamoring for Chad Johnson are way off base because NE isn't going to sign a receiver to a big contract when they won't even have the benefit of an offseason for him to learn the system.

I suppose Moss could come back, but I don't see that because - aside from all the other writing on the wall - that goes against the running/TE offense NE is developing.

You could be proposing that Edelman, Tate or Price will overtake Wes, but those seem like longshots.

So who are these other options that could come in and be the new #1 option at WR?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft