PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Well, the MVP was named, and it's a total joke: Peyton Manning, once again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who else should have gotten it? Chad I threw 19 touchdowns Pennington. Phillip I barely led my team to an 8-8 season Rivers?

I was going by the years the pats won the Super Bowl, nice try though. Let's trade defense for those years and Brady is sitting on zero rings.

What do you mean, "nice try, though"? You blamed the Colts' defense when it was Manning who stunk out the joint, and I pointed out the error of your argument.

Hey, look, I think Law just picked Manning off again. Great job, fivehead!

I think it's well deserved. They've won 10 in a row or whatever it was, with no run game and a crappy D - all down to him.

I can't stand him, but he's been one of the 'most valuable players' in the league this year, and that's what the award is all about.

Who else should have gotten it? Chad I threw 19 touchdowns Pennington. Phillip I barely led my team to an 8-8 season Rivers?

It should have been a year for a defensive player. Harrison, Ware or Porter. Or even Reed.

I can see why Manning has won it though, and I can't disagree with it.

Hey, I never said anything about 2003 or 2004. This year though, he isn't deserving. This was a name recognition award as much as any that have been given out.

If Manning threw 500 TD's you guys would still hate it, so this hate doesn't bother me, Manning never won a game in his life it's always the other team losing it or the refs or polian gave the pats the flu. It's the fact his name is Manning that he has never done anything in his career according to pats fans.

I was going by the years the pats won the Super Bowl, nice try though. Let's trade defense for those years and Brady is sitting on zero rings.

Manning has had great defenses the past few years.

Yet if you compare Brady and Manning's total career playoff win-loss and also td/int records, it isn't even close. Manning folds like a cheap tent and Brady is the standard. Brady somehow has better passing statistics even though he was throwing to tiny no-name smurfs in all 3 championships, while Manning has had an all-star cast on offense his entire career.

Why is this? Care to explain this playoff passing stat discrepancy?

Do you also think Marino was better than Montana?

Hahaha i love the hate. He didn't deserve it in '03 or '04 either right? 2nd QB with 3 MVP trophies. :cool:

Def desereved it in 03/04. Just not this year. Not to say he didn't have a good year because he did. I just think Rivers and Micheal Turner did more for their team. Rivers has a horrible D, the worst WR's in the league, and a banged up LT/Gates and still put up huge numbers. Turner gets overshadowed by Matt Ryan.

What do you mean, "nice try, though"? You blamed the Colts' defense when it was Manning who stunk out the joint, and I pointed out the error of your argument.

Hey, look, I think Law just picked Manning off again. Great job, fivehead!

Hello i said i was going by the years the pats won the super bowl. No matter how good he is brady wouldn't have made the playoffs with the colts defenses in those years.

It should have been a year for a defensive player. Harrison, Ware or Porter. Or even Reed.

I can see why Manning has won it though, and I can't disagree with it.

I agree with you, but they just don't give it to defensive players, I don't think. They should really rename it the Offensive MVP. I would have even thrown Haynesworth into that group, if he didn't getted dinged up at the end of the year.

Otherwise, I think this is the right choice. And I"ll even admit it's a deal where no one had a stellar year, so it's sort of by default. I'd even make the argument P Mannings Superbowl MVP really should have went to Dominic Rhodes that year.

Regardless, two things are true. No matter what Manning did (yes, like 500 TDs), some fans of other teams wouldn't like it or agree with him being MVP. Two, it's just a popularity vote for the most part, you don't have a scoreboard and get MVP points everytime you do something. It's still nice to have an MVP or 3 in your career, but it's not what these guys play for, or at least hopefully it's not.

So, again, in this particular year, I would argue that he is deserving, imo, and obviously of the 50 voters who gave it to him in a run away vote, they think he's deserving too.

By the way, is the same people who vote for MVP, the same group that votes for Defensive Rookie of the year?

Last edited:
Manning has had great defenses the past few years.

Yet if you compare Brady and Manning's total career playoff win-loss and also td/int records, it isn't even close. Manning folds like a cheap tent and Brady is the standard. Brady somehow has better passing statistics even though he was throwing to tiny no-name smurfs in all 3 championships, while Manning has had an all-star cast on offense his entire career.

Why is this? Care to explain this playoff passing stat discrepancy?

Do you also think Marino was better than Montana?

Name one besides the '05 defense. If pats fans can complain about the team having the flu in '06, well last year we had no freeney, mathis was coming off an injury and bob sanders got hurt in the game last year in the playoffs.

Think about where MN would be w/out AD, NO w/out Brees, the Redskins w/out Portis. There are plenty of deserving players who didn't have a half season of elevated play.

Manning is deservedly a HOFer, but his reputation is inflated, just like Favre.

Bluecoats, WHY are you ignoring my question?

Explain the huge difference between Manning and Brady's playoff passing numbers. Ignore the win-loss records since you give Brady no credit and say it was all defense.
Manning's playoff passing numbers are horrible while Brady's are great.
Manning's entire offensive cast has been all star level and yet his playoff numbers still suck.
Brady won 3 championships with a bunch of no-name offensive players who never did anything after they left the team.

PLEASE, can you explain why this is? What is your excuse for this discrepancy in playoff passing stats?

Last edited:
Def desereved it in 03/04. Just not this year. Not to say he didn't have a good year because he did. I just think Rivers and Micheal Turner did more for their team. Rivers has a horrible D, the worst WR's in the league, and a banged up LT/Gates and still put up huge numbers. Turner gets overshadowed by Matt Ryan.

You know and i know without Manning the Colts don't even sniff a 3-4 record. Our winning streak is 9 and your MVP candidate Rivers won his team 8 games with a monster offense. Ryan helped turner get the yards he get, who's helping Manning? The Colts offense has had the least possessions of anyone in the league, Manning had less time to try and score than every team in the NFL and that counts for nothing?

I knew that was coming when i posted that. Winning the SB is a team accomplishment.

And winning an MVP is an individual accomplishment? If so, let's compare Drew Brees to Peyton Manning this season. Hmmm, Drew Brees has a 1000 more yards, 7 more TDs, a better QB rating, came within 15 yards of breaking the season passing mark, and led a team that scored 100 more points than the Colts. And New Orleans' team rushing average was about 20 yards per game higher than Indy, so the points were not a product of a more potent rushing attack. And that overlooks Pennington, who played with no name weapons, led a team to one less win and the playoffs, and also has a better rating and fewer INTs.

The difference would appear to be playing with a defense that gave up 100 more points and earned an 8-8 record. And last time I checked, Manning wasn't on the field with the defense.

Manning is not carrying a no name offense. He just found a way to do less with more weapons than other QBs this year. Yeah, you're right. I guess he did earn it this year, if being the 5th best QB in the NFL means MVP. Big joke.

Last edited:
Hello i said i was going by the years the pats won the super bowl. No matter how good he is brady wouldn't have made the playoffs with the colts defenses in those years.

And, AGAIN, I pointed out to you that it was Manning, not the Colts defenses, that cost the Colts their playoff losses in those seasons. In 2004, the more egregious year, Peyton, mighty Peyton, managed just a field goal. That has nothing to do with the Colts defense.

Manning is 7-7 in the playoffs. That's not because of his defense.

Does Peter King get an assist on this? His Manning gets leg amputated, then reattached story in MMQB was pure genious. Manning should take him out for a Latt'e or at least a nice pat on the backside.

Peyton has been a regular season star because he has ALWAYS been surrounded by all star offensive talent.

And yet look at his playoff passing record, his passing stats are pathetic when he goes into the playoffs, surrounded by offensive stars at all positions.

Bluecoats, WHY are you ignoring my question?

Explain the huge difference between Manning and Brady's playoff passing numbers. Ignore the win-loss records since you give Brady no credit and say it was all defense.
Manning's playoff passing numbers are horrible while Brady's are great.
Manning's entire offensive cast has been all star level and yet his playoff numbers still suck.
Brady won 3 championships with a bunch of no-name offensive players who never did anything after they left the team.

PLEASE, can you explain why this is? What is your excuse for this discrepancy in playoff passing stats?

Don't put words in my mouth, i never said the defense did it all and Brady deserve a lot of credit. Brady had a defense that is always overlooked and the praise always went to Brady alone when his defense deserves props. Brady can be cool in the pocket when he knows he doesn't have to score every mother lovin' possession. You and I don't know how Brady would react if he had pressure to score every time because his defense was bad. You can say he'd thrive but we really don't know.

When we play the pats i hope we win but i don't pray for his downfall or diss his accomplishments, i was sick when i saw him go down this year. Sadly it would be a party on this board if Manning ever got hurt or failed. I don't get off on seeing Brady lose a game.

Last edited:
the sad part of the whole thing is the lack of self-esteem that drives a colts fan to come to a pats board to justify

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes