Welcome to PatsFans.com

Week 2 Sweet 16

Discussion in 'NFL Football Forum' started by ivanvamp, Sep 12, 2013.

1. ivanvamp

ivanvamp Rookie

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0

1. San Francisco (--) - Impressive performance against Green Bay. They are excellent in every area of the game.

2. Denver (--) - Hard to watch that 2nd half against Baltimore and not think that this team will be a very, very tough matchup. Loaded on offense.

3. Seattle (--) - Good start for the Seahawks, especially defensively.

4. New England (--) - No change for the first four teams. Pats made some uncharacteristic mistakes on unforced turnovers, and the injury bug is biting hard.

5. Houston (+3) - Nice comeback win to open the season.

6. Dallas (+6) - Got lots of turnovers and beat the Giants at home. I'm not sold on them, but everyone else above them basically lost. So up they go. I don't think they'll stay here long though.

7. Atlanta (-1) - Tough loss against New Orleans; this team is still very good.

8. Green Bay (-3) - As good as they are, they can't seem to solve San Francisco.

9. New Orleans (+6) - Terrific win against Atlanta. This Saints team is for real.

10. Indianapolis (+3) - Beat a lousy Raiders team by 4. Not super impressive, but hey, it's a win.

11. Philadelphia (N/A) - Leap into the sweet 16 after an impressive showing against the Redskins. For all the hubbub about their fast-break offense, they ran 12 fewer plays than the Patriots did.

12. Baltimore (-5) - Got rolled by Denver. Let's see if they rebound this week.

13. NY Giants (-4) - WAY too many turnovers against Dallas. I think they'll get that corrected though.

14. Cincinnati (-4) - Not a good way to start the year, losing at Chicago.

15. Kansas City (+1) - Nice win to start the year. Let's see it continue before moving them up too much.

16. Washington (-5) - Looked awful in the first half against Philly. 2nd half was a big improvement. Maybe it just took them a half to get their legs under them.
  2. l_j_r

l_j_r Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

first thought was houston doesn't deserve to be #5 (i put the comeback on a SD chokejob moreso than giving houston credit) ... i think i'd still have ATL & GB ahead of them even with the tough loses.
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  3. TriplecHamp

TriplecHamp Rookie

Ratings:
    +87 / 1 / -1

#24 Jersey

I don't know, Houston came out sleeping and it looked like they woke up more than anything. Run defense clamped down and everything else followed.
  4. borg

borg Rookie

Ratings:
    +156 / 11 / -13

Squeaking by Buffalo, scoring only 6 points in the second half, losing play makers to the injury bug.....if NE is the 4th best team right now...then the league is in trouble. I would drop them to the 8-9 range. The early cupcake schedule will make it tough to know the truth about this team.

Some stats that support what we already know:
    '13....scored 23 points vs Buffalo....6 punts
    '12....averaged 44.5 pts vs Buff...averaged 2.5 punts
    '11....averaged 40 pts vs Buff......averaged 2.5 punts

One game does not make a trend but.....
    PS...I just added Edleperson to half my fantasy starting rosters.....come on JE...this is your time to shine. Big pay checks are in your future :)
  5. Sivy

Sivy Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Just week 1, but Balt looked SOOOO bad, like bottom half of the league bad. Joe Flukeo was made famous by Bolden and that's a proven fact now. I hope they suck just as bad all year.
  6. ivanvamp

ivanvamp Rookie

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0

I hear you. But, as I said several times in the post-game discussion, the 3 Pats' turnovers which led to a -24 point differential were *all* completely UNFORCED. Totally uncharacteristic and unnecessary turnovers. None were even close to being caused by Buffalo. Just whoops! That game should have been a big blowout by the Pats - the other game stats supported that conclusion. Buffalo was VERY lucky to even be in that game.
  7. Gronkandez

Gronkandez Rookie

Ratings:
    +28 / 2 / -6

True, but on the other hand good teams don't make dumb plays like that. The same thing happened in the preseason game vs the Lions. Maybe this is who they are, a young mistake prone team.

We know they don't have a capable KO returner and they're down to one healthy RB and TE.

I'm hoping Thompkins reverts to his preseason ways tonight. He has to.
  8. borg

borg Rookie

Ratings:
    +156 / 11 / -13

No doubt the two fumbles were anomalies, but lets not get carried away about the blow out conjecture. The Pats two TDs were thanks to the defense handing them a short field...16 yds and 32 yds. Other than that, 6 punts and 3 FGs......a far cry from what we have grown accustomed too. Both teams feasted off of turnovers and only Buffalo was able to sustain a long drive for a TD(80 yds). This game was a flash back to 2001.....opportunistic scores/field position/last team with the ball wins.
    As far as the ranking goes...I just don't see the Pats keeping pace with plus offenses so I can't rank them top 5. Hope that changes when a healthy roster comes together...for the final push. I do appreciate your effort ranking 16 teams with explanations. I look at it more macro....the whole AFC blows so I drop them all several pegs.