Welcome to PatsFans.com

WEEI.com: Notes From Monday AM Camp Session

Discussion in 'Patriots 2009 Training Camp Reports and Photos' started by Christopher_Price, Aug 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Christopher_Price

Christopher_Price Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

2. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +781 / 8 / -10

Disable Jersey

"offensive lineman Sebastian Vollmer was also forced to run a lap during practice for an unknown infraction."

Herr Vollmer must learn to follow orders!

Nice recap. Seems like Kevin O'C is struggling.
  3. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +290 / 0 / -3

#75 Jersey

Just an observation. Why is Tyrone Mackenzie continually listed as missing from practice??? The guy has been done for the year via injury since May. Isn't that like reporting that Generalissimo Franco is still dead?
  4. PatsWickedPissah

Ratings:
    +781 / 8 / -10

Disable Jersey

Who knew? What an awfull way to find out!
  5. signbabybrady

signbabybrady Rookie

Ratings:
    +71 / 1 / -1

#24 Jersey

No Crable WTF he cant stay out of the tub.
  6. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +173 / 5 / -21

Two things strike me:

Ben Watson spoke, so he must have been on the field...

Pat Chung spoke, thought on this team, rookies did not speak..
  7. Pats726

Pats726 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Chris..I did not see Ohrnberger on that list...is he off PUP??? Just curious...
  8. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +816 / 44 / -47

Disable Jersey

9. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +199 / 4 / -5

Right now, I'm not 100% convinced that Walter will still be here come the trade deadline, let alone Week 17, so I'll just say "It is what it is." After all, large swaths of the non-Foxboro population expected Cassel to get cut last season.
  10. Gwedd

Gwedd PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +110 / 0 / -1

#61 Jersey

True day. It's going to be interesting to watch, though. Right now, I wouldn't dare place a wager on who will be in the QB roster, besides TB, of course.

respects,
  11. MoLewisrocks

MoLewisrocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

He's struggling in practice, ct... And BB is praising Walter. Unless the move lights a fire he's gonna take a backwards step in his progress. They didn't bring Walter in as potential trade bait, they brought him in for more experience on a roster where past the starter there were none who had ever taken significant snaps in live action or even earned a backup role (KOC's #2 status was by default last year and prior to the default injury Gutz been cut.)

And for the record, that perception on Cassel was not founded on his performance so much as media misinterpreting a comment (that the organization loved Gutz work ethic interpreted as Cassel was toast...). Remember that line of thinking began early in the off season and peaked when KOC was selected. Even though it never really made sense. If you watched camp last season it was pretty clear Cassel was the undisputed #2. People just didn't want to see that in light of what they had been conditioned to believe. Just like this year they can't see issues with KOC because they presumed he would progress and certainly not really take a step back...
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
  12. ctpatsfan77

Ratings:
    +199 / 4 / -5

I didn't say they did bring in Walter as trade bait, merely that he might end up trade bait.

In any case, there's one big question that needs to be answered before we can draw any conclusions: How big is the contract Walter signed? There's a big difference between even a one-year vet min contract and, say, a two-year contract.

Also—and I'm not directing this specifically at you—we've had BB issue rather effusive praise for Ventrone recently, and a lot of people expect him to get cut, too. [Yes, I realize the situations are not entirely analogous; that said, O'Connell does have a year in the system, so if, God forbid, BB had to have either O'Connell or Walter starting, I don't think it'd be that easy a decision.]
  13. MoLewisrocks

MoLewisrocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

Rohan lasted three years in the system... If BB had to have either KOC or Walter starting, I think he'd choose the guy who had shown him he could best handle the situation regardless of system familiarity. It's not just about knowing or grasping it conceptually, it's about being capable of executing it on the field.
  14. ctpatsfan77

Ratings:
    +199 / 4 / -5

I'm not sure invoking Rohan Davey is useful here, since it's not clear that he had a good conceptual grasp or much of an ability to perform, either.

I'd rather see Walter as the #2 if he is actually the better QB for the offense. That said, I do think that O'Connell will beat him out sooner rather than later. [I also realize that Cassel in 2006 != O'C in 2009, since Cassel had years as a backup at USC, versus O'Connell's years as a starter at SDSU.]
  15. Christopher_Price

Christopher_Price Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Watson was on the field -- we'll have a couple of quotes from him shortly.

Chung did speak briefly. They appear to have relaxed their attitude on rookies speaking. FWIW, at various times in camp, I have spoken with Chung, Edelman and Darius Butler.
  16. Box_O_Rocks

Box_O_Rocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

I see O'Con's reported struggles not so much as a sophomore slump, but a guy being asked to do more within the offense and his mechanics and defensive reading skills haven't caught up to the everything running through his head. Walter was brought in to be a veteran presence and is taking his hard earned experience and is blossoming, how fast he picks up the offense is a question for deeper into camp, but it's nice to see another Raider cast-off doing well.
  17. Box_O_Rocks

Box_O_Rocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

I seem to recall the rookies got some face time in camp, but the closer to the season they got the more they were muzzled?
  18. DaBruinz

DaBruinz Pats, B's, Sox PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +211 / 16 / -36

#50 Jersey

Did you stop to think, like Mike Reiss did and Rappaport didn't, that maybe the Pats are working him back in slowly?

Why over-react and get all bent out of shape over it?
  19. PatsWickedPissah

Ratings:
    +781 / 8 / -10

Disable Jersey

Note that other players e.g. Neal attend limited (about half) the practice sessions. I hope to see my man The Crab scuttle onto the field this afternoon. I'm going.
  20. JMarr

JMarr Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

And to think that many people around here were totally comfortable with O'Connell as Brady's backup before camp even started. :confused:

Umm, I think that sometimes things arise that make it very important who the the 2nd QB is.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.