PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We have the 2nd best secondary in the league per PFF

Status
Not open for further replies.

drewskie

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Ranking all 32 NFL teams' secondaries heading into the 2017 season | NFL Analysis | Pro Football Focus

1. Landon Collins was PFF’s number one breakout player of 2016, as well as making the PFF All-Pro first team and contending for Defensive Player of the Year. Both Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and Janoris Jenkins finished in the top 10 among cornerbacks in passer rating against in 2016 as DRC saw just a 56.0 passer rating when targeted, fourth best and Jenkins saw a 64.8, T-10th best. They combine to make up one of the best cornerback tandems in the league, while last year’s No. 10 overall draft pick Eli Apple has his best football ahead of him. In his debut season, Apple averaged 11.4 snaps in coverage per reception allowed, which was fifth best among all rookie cornerbacks last season.

2. Devin McCourty finished the 2016 tied with Denver’s Chris Harris Jr. for top coverage grade out of all cornerbacks and safeties at a 91.5. Malcolm Butler fielded an 88.5 coverage grade making the duo of McCourty and Butler the only pair of teammates to finish in the top eight in terms of coverage grade representing why both both PFF All-Pro selections. This season, the Patriots have also added Stephon Gilmore, who despite a down year last season, still saw just the 15th lowest passer rating when targeted at 70.6. CB Eric Rowe figures into the cornerback rotation as well, who finished last season with the sixth lowest passer rating when targeted (63.0). Solidifying the safety spot opposite McCourty, they re-signed safety Duron Harmon, who led all safeties in 2016 in both cover snaps per target (69.2) and cover snaps per reception allowed (86.5).

3. The core of the Legion of Boom has been around for a while, but are still one of the best units in the NFL. Despite missing some time, Kam Chancellor had the most productive season of his career, finishing with a career-high grade of 91.2, third best among safeties. His counterpart, Earl Thomas is still one of the best safeties when healthy, finishing last year with his fourth consecutive season with a grade at 84.6 or above. Richard Sherman led all cornerbacks in cover snaps per reception allowed last season, averaging 14.9 snaps in coverage per reception. Jeremy Lane, who is the favorite to open the season opposite Sherman, had the third best slot coverage snaps per target at 7.8 (min. 250 slot coverage snaps). This unit also plays the run extremely well as four players ranked among the top 10 at their position in run-stop percentage in 2016. The young rookie duo of Shaquill Griffin from UCF and Cedric Thompson from Colorado could see real benefits under the Legion of Boom’s tutelage and could excite the 12s in Seattle for years to come.

4. Chris Harris Jr. was the top graded cornerback (91.6) in 2016 and tied with New England’s Devin McCourty for top coverage grade at 91.5 while Aqib Talib was right behind him at No. 3 overall, finishing with a 90.6 overall grade. Harris Jr. continues to set the standard for slot coverage, leading the league in yards per cover snap allowed while in the slot at just 0.59. As a rookie in 2016, Justin Simmons was the only safety in the NFL without a single missed tackle and at least 200 snaps played.

EDIT: The analysis is very fair, I think you can make a case for every secondary to be number 1. PFF also recognizes that perhaps the weakest saftey tandem of these 4 is with Denver's. McCourty's PFF ranking also goes to show you that he deserves more respect amongst his peers if the NFL Top 100 rankings are of any indication, especially considering Landon Collins (deservedly so) was ranked 28th while DMac didn't even make the top 100.

Last edited:
PFF so not taking seriously. But yeah our secondary was pretty decent last season. Should be a little better this season. Looking forward to it!

Really pumped we re-signed Harmon.
Me too. I always thought he would have a good shot at staying here, due to the 3 safety packages, his progression, and what I deemed as a reasonable cost.

I remember when people thought DRC was washed up and Chris Harris overrated.

I'm still holding out hope for a Butler extension, though. If that happens, I will be ecstatic.

I can just guess what YOU being ecstatic is like...a two point rise in your blood pressure? easily the most sanguine poster on this board....besides me, of course...:rolleyes:

Glad to see McCourty getting the recognition he deserves..

Whether we are #1 or #5, does not make all that much difference to me.. as long as we have a quality, respected D backfield.

Will miss Logan Ryan though...

Glad to see McCourty getting the recognition he deserves..

Whether we are #1 or #5, does not make all that much difference to me.. as long as we have a quality, respected D backfield.

Will miss Logan Ryan though...

Ryan was the forums whipping boy last year until about week 12

This team won't miss Ryan in the least unless there is a bad rash of injuries at the position and, even then, that's dependent on the progression of either one or both of the Jones boys.

Denver being 4th is pretty crazy. I would put them no less than 3rd. Seattle frankly isn't what it use to be though still have good.

I don't like their #2 CB all that much compare to other teams and I think Kam Chanceller is overrated. He is big and can hit but honestly when ask to cover he is lacking.

I will say though i have not seen for a long long time as many stacked DB fields in the NFL as there are now.

Vikings are overlooked a lot here sadly but they are up there with us and Denver and the Giants.

Last edited:
I really don't know why anyone gives that site any credence?

I really don't know why anyone gives that site any credence?

Because they were saying nice things about the Pats.

Because they were saying nice things about the Pats.

I get that it holds some relevance for fantasy football but anyone who conflates that with real football are seriously confused.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
Back