Vinatieri to visit Green Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.

T-ShirtDynasty

Reaction score
Via KFFL
Packers | Vinatieri to visit
Tue, 14 Mar 2006 16:14:37 -0800

Adam Schefter, of the NFL Network, reports the Green Bay Packers will host free agent PK Adam Vinatieri (Patriots) Friday, March 17.

Green Bay has always worried me more than Dallas. I can't see Parcells spending big on a kicker, but Green Bay has the cap space and the need.

In a related story, the Lord Favre Soap Opera continues from last year. How much more can this guy milk the drama? Geeze.

Packers | Favre remains undecided
Tue, 14 Mar 2006 16:13:32 -0800

The NFL Network reports Green Bay Packers QB Brett Favre still remains undecided on whether or not he will return for the 2006 season.

From what I heard is that if Favre isn't happy with free agent signings he would come back. He wants to win next year, that is all he cares about. Why bend over backwards for an over the hill QB is beyond me.

Pats Fanatic said:
From what I heard is that if Favre isn't happy with free agent signings he would come back. He wants to win next year, that is all he cares about. Why bend over backwards for an over the hill QB is beyond me.

I know thats right.

If Adam V is still a free agent by now I see no reason to believe he is coming back. I mean seriously what's going on out at Foxborough? They aren't doing jack...................Trust in BB my butt. I'm starting to have my doubts.

Last edited:
Green Bay wouldn't pay Longwell the $2mil that he got from the Vikings. Living in Wi, I see more than my share of Packer's games and Longwell is a good kicker.

I can't see them over paying for AV.

MrTibbs said:
If Adam V is still a free agent by now I see no reason to believe he is coming back. I mean seriously what's going on out at Foxborough? They aren't doing jack...................Trust in BB my butt. I'm starting to have my doubts.

The Pats do the same thing every year. Patience grasshopper, patience.

Willie55 said:
The Pats do the same thing every year. Patience grasshopper, patience.

Yeah they do this every year, and 2 of the last 4 years they bombed in free agency. I dont blame people for being a little worried.

MrTibbs said:

This is ridiculous............3 Super Bowls in 4 years and you are ready to give up on the coach's ability because he will not be financially hijacked by a PLACE KICKER??

You see no reason for him to come back?? I am sure glad your crystal ball is working! If GB was willing to pay Longwell what Minnesota paid him, then he would have re-signed with GB. Why on earth would GB pay MORE for Adam than they were willing to pay for their own kicker, who is two years younger than Adam?

The lack of faith in a FIVE time Super Bowl winning coach is appalling.....:confused:

Bill's Girl said:
This is ridiculous............3 Super Bowls in 4 years and you are ready to give up on the coach's ability because he will not be financially hijacked by a PLACE KICKER??

You see no reason for him to come back?? I am sure glad your crystal ball is working! If GB was willing to pay Longwell what Minnesota paid him, then he would have re-signed with GB. Why on earth would GB pay MORE for Adam than they were willing to pay for their own kicker, who is two years younger than Adam?

The lack of faith in a FIVE time Super Bowl winning coach is appalling.....:confused:

He was probably one of those who voted in the poll: BB has a plan and we will be happy with it.

But that was 3 hours ago.:eek:

PATSNUTme said:
He was probably one of those who voted in the poll: BB has a plan and we will be happy with it.

But that was 3 hours ago.:eek:

I don't understand how BB comes out looking like Benedict Arnold in all of this? To be honest I am sick of defending him......... I'm out!

Questioning what the pats are doing or rather not doing with vinateri is logical.But i also think there is small matter of how much adam wants to come back. His statement in the florida paper a few weeks back where he basically talked about past tense that early before the FA.We all feel pissed when our team(s) dont sign the players who did so much for the team but i guess its also important to check how much he wants to be back.

Bill's Girl said:
I don't understand how BB comes out looking like Benedict Arnold in all of this? To be honest I am sick of defending him......... I'm out!

In the word of Tammy Wynette,or someone else, "stand by your man".:singing:

The Packers make no sense for Vinatieri. It's not a place kickers go to prolong their careers - which is why Longwell wanted out unless they blew him away - which they didn't. This is all about bonus money now. Indy doesn't have any left. GB has lots of cap space but likely not a ton of cash to invest in a kicker if they intend to use that cap space to rebuild. Dallas always has plenty of cash. As do we. But if Mare comes free Dallas would be all over him as a cheaper alternative. Dallas missed the playoffs because of kicking - Jones isn't going to let Tuna ignore that. Even if they sign TO they'll need a PK with Drew behind center.

I think Adam waited for the market to come to him rather than aggressively persuing it. That is primarily an agent problem. Seems he's had an agent problem for a while now. He'd have been better off with Brad Blank. :D

If GB is his only serious suitor I think he's back - unless his ego is so bruised over the non guaranteed money offer he decides it's not a tenable situation for him here any more. I have a feeling Dallas is just playing possum so as not to drive the market up until they decide if he really is available and they are serious contenders. They were the source of the Bucs as frontrunners rumor, and even Tuna's comments could be seen as an effort to blunt his market (i.e. he's not really available just looking for suitors to up the ante).

Whenever we revisit AV's situation I just see the Pats as the likely place he'll end up. The fact that BB has a standing offer already and no one has beaten it tells me that it's likely going to be the best offer. Adam is just trying to get as much as he can get at the moment and it's probably disappointing for him to find out that BB's offer is still the most lucrative for him. Honestly, I'm not sure if Adam totally wants to be back in NE. He is the only player in the Pats roster who is the highest paid in his position. There really isn't much more BB and Pioli can do except for maybe sweetening the guaranteed money portion. But if Adam's going to shop himself around the league even if you gave him more guaranteed money then you might as well wait, have him look around and then beat someone else's offer by using the signing bonus as your sweetener later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back