PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Charles Woodson expected to be released by Green Bay Packers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Charles Woodson to Be released by Packers?

Don't know, but I can't imagine there's a huge market for 36 year old DBs.

Wasn't he good like 10 years ago? Umm if we're looking at long toothed safties, maybe Ed Reed would be better?

I don't know. I'm tired of the Pats picking up other teams' aging stars and trying to squeeze a few more good years out of them, often with mixed results (which look like this - older guy comes in, looks good in camp, looks like he's going to be great, oops, injury, just can't get back to form, after teasing us for a while). Is it too much to ask that they go into the draft and get a stud that can start young and healthy here and be here for years to come? It's been a while since Rodney Harrison joined the team.

I know what you mean. Reminiscent of the John Lynch experiment a few yrs back.

Re: Charles Woodson to Be released by Packers?

Wasn't he good like 10 years ago? Umm if we're looking at long toothed safties, maybe Ed Reed would be better?
Reed would definitely be better, but also a lot more expensive.

Why do Pats fans always clamor for everyone else's cuts? Have the Pats brainwashed their fans to think that the team can only/should only sign "bargain" aging free agents? Kraft, etc., has also succeeded in shaping much of the fanbase's opinion regarding the team's own free agents - gotta sign em on the cheap to a team friendly deal or else! What good has that practice done this team since signing Harrison at 30 or 31, whatever it was? The team's free agent signings have been AVERAGE at best for the last several years. Impact free agents aren't found in Foxboro. Last season they got Lloyd, who was good, not great, and Gregory who was average, not good. That's about it, along with a bunch of flotsam and jetsam named Trevor Scott, Marquice Cole, and Daniel Fells among others.
2011 wasn't much better - Chad Johnson, Marcus Stroud? Nick MacDonald and Donald Thomas worked out, I guess - but those guys aren't going to be factors in bringing us a Super Bowl - wait, I must be a "spoiled Pats fan". 2010 was a banner crop with Alge Crumpler, Damione Lewis, and Gerad Warren. Warren contributed, but in the end - for what? A first round exit at the hand of the NYJ. 2009? Shawn Springs, Joey Galloway, Chris Baker....need I say more? 2009 was probably the team's WORST free agent period in ages. And they paid for it because they got embarrassed at home in the wild card round.
The Pats need to reexamine their FA strategy - start signing guys in their primes, not washed up veterans in their 30s looking for one last contract....
GO PATS...wait, I must be a "spoiled pats fan" because I want another Super Bowl and don't agree with the way Krafty's been signing FAs the last 5 or 6 seasons....

I know what you mean. Reminiscent of the John Lynch experiment a few yrs back.

John Lynch
Fred Taylor
Albert Haynesworth (in addition to his troubles, he was getting long in the tooth)
Donte Stallworth
Even Talib couldn't stay on the field for the entire time we had him

I'm just tired of doing things this way. Would like the Pats to change it up.

John Lynch
Fred Taylor
Albert Haynesworth (in addition to his troubles, he was getting long in the tooth)
Donte Stallworth

Why can't they do both?

Why can't they do both?

They could if they would. But I think they won't. I predict if they get Woodson, then they'll think they have a great starter and therefore don't have to do anything else at safety. Then he'll get hurt in the second game and be lost for significant time (not IR though; we'll have to keep his roster spot open of course for his promised return for the playoff run).

Wow, I sound cynical even to myself. But this is how I feel the FO has played it with aging vets.

Eh, I think I'll pass. We should be focusing on the future.

John Lynch
Fred Taylor
Donte Stallworth

Agreed. These guys all have pretty low ceilings. How about a young guy who, although he may mess up on occassion, has some upside.

now the DE equivalent of Woodson is available too... Dwight Freeney cut.

How about a young guy who, although he may mess up on occassion, has some upside.
You mean like Terrence Wheatley, Darius Butler, Brandon Merriweather, Ras-I Dowling, Tavon Wilson?

It would be great if they could get a young stud DB, but they've tried that plenty of times and it's easier said than done. They don't exactly grow on trees.

Agreed. These guys all have pretty low ceilings. How about a young guy who, although he may mess up on occassion, has some upside.

Ron Brace in the 2nd round?
Wheatley?
Chad Jackson?

The list goes on.

Best rent-a-player was Ted Washington for a 4th a massive NT who helped us win the 2003 season Lombardi.

John Lynch
Fred Taylor
Donte Stallworth

Sometimes you get a John Lynch, sometimes you get a Rodney Harrison. The key is to keep trying on all fronts.

You mean like Terrence Wheatley, Darius Butler, Brandon Merriweather, Ras-I Dowling, Tavon Wilson?

It would be great if they could get a young stud DB, but they've tried that plenty of times and it's easier said than done. They don't exactly grow on trees.

Meriweather was a 2x probowler in his first 3 starting years who had more turnovers from 2008-2010 than any other player in the league besides Troy Polamalu. He obviously had shortcomings in his freelancing techniques, but I wouldn't necessarily put him in the failed category with guys such as Wheatley and Butler either. The team thought they could improve upon him and made that choice, but he was at least serviceable.

Tavon Wilson had 4 INT's, 2 fumble recoveries, and 6 passes defended, which isn't too bad for a rookie. He certainly had some growing pains too, but we have absolutely no idea as to his upside or career yet. He played LCB andRCB in dime sets, plus safety too showing some versatility; and at 6 ft/205 lbs, he may have a decent span ahead of him. He shouldn't be on the list either.

Sometimes you get a John Lynch, sometimes you get a Rodney Harrison. The key is to keep trying on all fronts.

True -- although Rodney was 31 when he signed with the Pats -- an age where you can expect 2-4 more good years out of someone (and it turned out we got a bit more than that).

Lynch was 37. Woodson is 36.

A 37 year old Rodney was still worth having but not the dominent 2003/04 force.

Unfortunately there's no obvious Harrison type (early 30s) on the market, so I'd gladly take Reed (preferably) or Woodson if either can be had for cheap and hopefully they can both contribute on the field, bring some leadership, and help the younger secondary develop

Agree, plus Woodson or Reed would be good for the McCourty, Dennard, Dowling Wilson group to learn from.

Wilson way off and way premature with that catagory.

True -- although Rodney was 31 when he signed with the Pats -- an age where you can expect 2-4 more good years out of someone (and it turned out we got a bit more than that).

Lynch was 37. Woodson is 36.

A 37 year old Rodney was still worth having but not the dominent 2003/04 force.

Unfortunately there's no obvious Harrison type (early 30s) on the market, so I'd gladly take Reed (preferably) or Woodson if either can be had for cheap and hopefully they can both contribute on the field, bring some leadership, and help the younger secondary develop

I was just matching by position. If I'd been matching by age, I would have pointed to someone like Seau.

I was just matching by position. If I'd been matching by age, I would have pointed to someone like Seau.

Ya Seau is a better comparson. Someone who we can rely on and hopefully make it easier for the rookies / younger players to develop

They could if they would. But I think they won't. I predict if they get Woodson, then they'll think they have a great starter and therefore don't have to do anything else at safety. Then he'll get hurt in the second game and be lost for significant time (not IR though; we'll have to keep his roster spot open of course for his promised return for the playoff run).

Wow, I sound cynical even to myself. But this is how I feel the FO has played it with aging vets.

PatsDeb = PessimisticDowner ;)

They may not have to do anything at safety anyway if they address it via free agency, at least not this year, and if they do it may come via mid to low round pick or even UDFA or roster cut.

McCourty
Woodson/Reed
Gregory
Wilson (2nd rounder spent last year)
and any number of options are left for #5 camp competition

If they did spend a high draft pick on the position, I'd have a hard time seeing how he'd see many developmental reps, unless Gregory was shown the door, and I think that's more likely to happen next off-season.

The higher draft pick at safety could possibly wait until next season if a FA is chosen, especially with needs still remaining at CB, WR, OL, and DT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back