PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Video: Was the Saints "pick play" for a TD legal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony2046

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
@luuked and @DaBruinz were having a discussion of whether or not the pick play the Saints used in the 2nd quarter was legal or not.

I believe the the play was legal. A pick play involves a receiver making contact with or blocking a defensive player impeding him from his coverage. Hill (The Saints TE) made contact with Chung and pushed him back far enough to impede Butler's coverage of Hill. So Hill didn't directly impede Butler's coverage. imo.

By the way if the contact by the receiver is perceived incidental they will not call OPI. So there is some subjectivity to it as well.

What could counter that play? I believe Chung has to be more aggressive on that play and keep Hill from pushing him back. Someone suggest Butler could have lined up deeper but I think that opens up an easy inside slant route for a TD.

Anyways just my opinion. What do you think?

Here is the video of that play:

The rules state:

PROHIBITED ACTS Article 2 Prohibited Acts by both teams while the ball is in the air. Acts that are pass interference include but are not limited to:

(a) Contact by a player who is not playing the ball that restricts the opponent’s opportunity to make the catch.
(b) Playing through the back of an opponent in an attempt to make a play on the ball.
(c) Grabbing an opponent’s arm(s) in such a manner that restricts his opportunity to catch a pass.
(d) Extending an arm across the body of an opponent, thus restricting his ability to catch a pass, and regardless of whether the player committing such act is playing the ball.
(e) Cutting off the path of an opponent by making contact with him, without playing the ball.
(f) Hooking an opponent in an attempt to get to the ball in such a manner that it causes the opponent’s body to turn prior to the ball arriving.
(g) Initiating contact with an opponent by shoving or pushing off, thus creating a separation in an attempt to catch a pass. Note: If there is any question whether player contact is incidental, the ruling should be no interference.

http://static.nfl.com/static/conten...pdfs/11_Rule8_ForwardPass_BackPass_Fumble.pdf

I'll add the Patriots pick play for reference: It was within one yard of the line of scrimmage.

I'll add the NFL's video for OPI for reference: Which I thinks adds another point of emphasis that I missed. Blocking downfield.

Offensive Pass Interference | NFL Football Operations

Last edited:
Looks legal to me.

99.99% of football fans aren't even aware of this play.

When it comes to pick/rub plays and officiating, all they will hear and talk about is the play involving the Patriots offense when Brady spoke to the ref and they correctly picked up the flag on the TD to Hogan, giving the Pats a 20-3 lead.

The talking point everywhere south and west of Hartford will be that the NFL wants Brady to do well, Goodell and Kraft are BFFs, the games are fixed so the Patriots win, etc.

99.99% of football fans aren't even aware of this play.

When it comes to pick/rub plays and officiating, all they will hear and talk about is the play involving the Patriots offense when Brady spoke to the ref and they correctly picked up the flag on the TD to Hogan, giving the Pats a 20-3 lead.

The talking point everywhere south and west of Hartford will be that the NFL wants Brady to do well, Goodell and Kraft are BFFs, the games are fixed so the Patriots win, etc.

Tomorrow I'll add that play to thread. It was definitely legal.

It's all about the distance from the line

You get one yard. Outside of that, you can run a defender off, but you can't deliberately run into him.

That's past one yard

Last edited:

You get one yard. Outside of that, you can run a defender off, but you can't deliberately run into him.

That's past one yard

So you think it's PI?

Hill never interacted with Butler.

So you think it's PI?

Hill never interacted with Butler.

At the 7 second mark, it seems clear that he purposefully turned into him beyond the one yard allowed cushion (likely because he mis-timed his pivot on the rub route). If there's a shot that disputes that, I'm open to seeing it. Otherwise, it's just a matter of whether or not the officials decide to blow the whistle. It's sort of what we normally think about with PI (early contact between actual involved defender and the pass' intended recipient) in the sense of it being a very fluid level of interaction that generates the call, varying widely from one official to the next. It also seems as if the pick play gets called tighter at the beginning of every season.

Last edited:
I know they made a big deal about the Patriots pick play using Dwayne Allen to free up Chris Hogan on the TD. It looked like it was as close to a yard as you can be to accomplish the feat.
Brady was correct to argue and overturn the offensive PI flag.

I was annoyed that Romo went on and on about the Pats' "pick play" while this one was a "great play design".

They were both pick plays - the Pats' play was within a yard of the LOS, and this one was marginally legal because the receiver didn't technically impede Butler, Chung did. But he was pushed there by the receiver.

I was annoyed that Romo went on and on about the Pats' "pick play" while this one was a "great play design".

They were both pick plays - the Pats' play was within a yard of the LOS, and this one was marginally legal because the receiver didn't technically impede Butler, Chung did. But he was pushed there by the receiver.
I thought Romo was terribly annoying - would not stfu, constantly saying what he would do etc... tone it down Romo, less is more.

That's past one yard

You're right, but Chung's been playing long enough to know that he has to force the contact to draw the flag in that situation too. He was just too passive.

Picks happen all the time, many routes are designed to 'rub off' coverage to free the receiver, Welker use to run routes and use the ref to rub off coverage.:D

Here is what I see:
- Hill is still engaged with Chung 4 yards past the LOS and has made not attempt to run a route.

To me, Hill is blocking downfield and should have been called for it because he made no effort to disengage until he was 4 yards down field. Fits Rule 8, Section 5, Article 4.

Also, Hill makes contact with Butler and clearly impedes him, which to me is also OPI.. The 2nd view shows that. Rule 8, Section 5, Article 2 (e).

Tony - for whatever reason, it says you can't watch the video. I had to go to youtube.

Is anyone else having this problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back