VIDEO: "James Develin Tribute - The Engineering Meathead Fullback"

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score

Robert Alvarez

A member of the New England Patriots for six seasons, fullback James Develin doesn't often get the attention of the cameras or the stat sheet, but has become a valuable blocker for the running backs that have passed through Foxboro during his tenure.

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)

Nice video. A couple times it really shows how much Develin opens it up for Blount/others. And in some of the handful passes he caught, you really can see how it can be punishing to be in front of him trying to tackle him (Develin puts that big torso damn low to the ground).
Develin is akin to James White in that he is an easily likable guy. However, one of the keys to making the Patriots tick so well is mutli-role filling players. In the NFL every active roster spot is valuable. If you aren't a top producer in a key #1 spot (QB, WR, CB for example) then filling multiple roles is pretty important especially for a 6 year guy playing a position that 'some' feel is obsolete.

No doubt Develin is a fine bulldozer for Gill but is he filling other roles? I don't know enough about Develin;s playing time to know -- maybe he is filling other roles -- but is he on multiple ST packages? What's the confidence level on handing him the ball for the occasional 3rd and 1 plowing conversion?

Thanks Robert.

Devlin along with Shaq Mason bull dozed a lane for Lewis on his 31 yard scamper last Thursday. The guy is the perfect fullback.

Wasn't a Devlin fan when he was signed to the active roster in 2012, as I prefer my FBs to be former RBs. But he has developed a body of work here, and now seems very comfortable handling any facet of the offense, be it as a lead-blocking back, pass-catching back, in pass protection, and as an in-line TE.

I would go further and suggest that he be on the field more often, much more often, as in: taking most of Dwops Allen's snaps from him, for starters.

I would love to one day see an entire drive consist of Devlin and Gillislee and one of White/Lewis/Burkhead in the backfield, at the same time. I seriously believe that this lineup has many possibilities in the hands of a creative play-caller.

Brown University Grad makes good in the NFL.. perfect Patriot; low maintenance, tough, intelligent player who does his job.

Robert Alvarez

A member of the New England Patriots for six seasons, fullback James Develin doesn't often get the attention of the cameras or the stat sheet, but has become a valuable blocker for the running backs that have passed through Foxboro during his tenure.

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)

Sweet video. I brought up Develin playing TE in the Dwayne Allen thread BEFORE I had seen or heard of this video..
The catches he makes and first two in video especially just validate those thoughts. Awesome effort on runs/blocks too.

Not sure why he doesn't get some snaps there as a TE, especially if he motions to it out of FB spot, that could mess up some D 11 player selections

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes