PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Very Early 5 step plan for the offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

PonyExpress

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
1. Resign Asante Samuel/ sign Nate Clements.

2. Sign Adalius Thomas, cut/restructure Colvin.

3. Draft Woodley(rd 1)/Abiamiri (rd 1)/Spencer (rd 2-3), Willis (rd 1)/Waters(rd 2-4)

4. Draft Landry (rd 1)/ Griffen (rd 1-2) /Zbikowski (rd 2-3)/ Reggie Nelson (possible FS/CB combo)

5. Let Graham go. Draft another TE, like Carlson (rd 3-4), whom I've been very impressed with. Better than Fasano IMO. The offense otherwise is set, assuming Jackson, and McDaniels, develop.

Last edited:
Never too early for offseason talk, I love the draft and free agency.

I like and agree with your approach.
Moves I could see the Pats making.... pick up a veteran LB or two.
ILB - EJ Henderson - Vikings, Boss Bailey - Lions (too small but has a cool name..), London Fletcher - Bills (too old? still 5 years younger than Seau), Brandon Short - Giants, Kawika Mitchell, Chiefs
OLB - Bryan Thomas - Jets, Atwan Peek -Texans, Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila - Packers

Moves I hope they make.....

CB - obvious area of need, they have the cap room and even though he is having an off year Nate Clements would add a physical presence to the CB position. Even with a signing such as Clements a CB should still be taken high in the draft.
RB - Maybe someone like Duckett to replace Dillion.
S - Ken Halim (Seahawks), Tank Williams (again cool name..)

PonyExpress said:
1. Resign Asante Samuel/ sign Nate Clements..
I agree one of the two should be a priority, they are far and away the two best FA corners. My preference is Clements because he is more physical. It is too mutch to ask a rookie to come in and start, even with these signings I still would like them to draft a CB on day 1.

PonyExpress said:
2. Sign Adalius Thomas, cut/restructure Colvin..
Initially I was in the anti-Colvin camp but think he has been playing better although inconsistent. I see him staying with the real concern being the lack of speed at ILB, it is very evident on 3rd downs, Bruschi and Seau are getting killed. Also I think A. Thomas will be too pricey but man would he look sweet taking Willie's old spot.

PonyExpress said:
3. Draft Woodley(rd 1)/Abiamiri (rd 1)/Spencer (rd 2-3), Willis (rd 1)/Waters(rd 2-4).

I agree the pass rush needs to be improved, I had them taking Chris Ellis from V Tech in the 2nd in my last mock,
http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showpost.php?p=242790&postcount=23
PonyExpress said:
4. Draft Landry (rd 1)/ Griffen (rd 1-2) /Zbikowski (rd 2-3)/ Reggie Nelson (possible FS/CB combo).
I had Cason in my draft with the hope they sign Halim, Lewis. Reggie Nelson is interesting because if Samuel or Clements is signed I believe he could be the 3rd CB and then take over for Wilson in 2008.

PonyExpress said:
5. Let Graham go. Draft another TE, like Carlson (rd 3-4), whom I've been very impressed with. Better than Fasano IMO. The offense otherwise is set, assuming Jackson, and McDaniels, develop.
I also had them taking a WR in round 1, I am not sold on the offense at this point. Teams are playing 8,9 men in the box and we aren't able to go over the top. I see Graham leaving.

cstjohn17 said:
Never too early for offseason talk, I love the draft and free agency.

I like and agree with your approach.
Moves I could see the Pats making.... pick up a veteran LB or two.
ILB - EJ Henderson - Vikings, Boss Bailey - Lions (too small but has a cool name..), London Fletcher - Bills (too old? still 5 years younger than Seau), Brandon Short - Giants, Kawika Mitchell, Chiefs
OLB - Bryan Thomas - Jets, Atwan Peek -Texans, Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila - Packers

Moves I hope they make.....

CB - obvious area of need, they have the cap room and even though he is having an off year Nate Clements would add a physical presence to the CB position. Even with a signing such as Clements a CB should still be taken high in the draft.
RB - Maybe someone like Duckett to replace Dillion.
S - Ken Halim (Seahawks), Tank Williams (again cool name..)

I agree one of the two should be a priority, they are far and away the two best FA corners. My preference is Clements because he is more physical. It is too mutch to ask a rookie to come in and start, even with these signings I still would like them to draft a CB on day 1.

Initially I was in the anti-Colvin camp but think he has been playing better although inconsistent. I see him staying with the real concern being the lack of speed at ILB, it is very evident on 3rd downs, Bruschi and Seau are getting killed. Also I think A. Thomas will be too pricey but man would he look sweet taking Willie's old spot.

I agree the pass rush needs to be improved, I had them taking Chris Ellis from V Tech in the 2nd in my last mock,
http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showpost.php?p=242790&postcount=23

I had Cason in my draft with the hope they sign Halim, Lewis. Reggie Nelson is interesting because if Samuel or Clements is signed I believe he could be the 3rd CB and then take over for Wilson in 2008.

I also had them taking a WR in round 1, I am not sold on the offense at this point. Teams are playing 8,9 men in the box and we aren't able to go over the top. I see Graham leaving.

I tend to believe the problem with the O is coordination, not talent, especially if Maroney/Jackson/Thomas and the coordinator develop. I watched the arizona/cal matchup... Cason gave up some big plays, one called back. It may have been an aberration... he seemed like rd 2-3 quality. Adalius Thomas may not be viable due to age and price. He's never had a big time pay day and this is his cash in year, so that is a concern. Dillon's future depends on Dillon's attitude... if he is able to accept becoming the #2, situational back, then he is an asset. Otherwise the ego friction isn't worth it.

Last edited:
Also I think A. Thomas will be too pricey but man would he look sweet taking Willie's old spot.

Think about it. Losing the SB year after year is too high a price for me. we opened the checkbook for Colvin. why not for Thomas who is a younger/better version?

patpatriot said:
Think about it. Losing the SB year after year is too high a price for me.

The last time the Patriots "lost" the Super Bowl, Bill Parcells was the HC.

The Pats didn't win, but they didn't lose it, either.

patpatriot said:
Also I think A. Thomas will be too pricey but man would he look sweet taking Willie's old spot.

Think about it. Losing the SB year after year is too high a price for me. we opened the checkbook for Colvin. why not for Thomas who is a younger/better version?
Thomas is already 29, I believe. That is one of the drawbacks...

PonyExpress said:

3. Draft Woodley(rd 1)/Abiamiri (rd 1)/Spencer (rd 2-3), Willis (rd 1)/Waters(rd 2-4)

4. Draft Landry (rd 1)/ Griffen (rd 1-2) /Zbikowski (rd 2-3)/ Reggie Nelson (possible FS/CB combo)

I'd add a couple more items that I'd like to see--at least one of which might have some impact on the Pats' draft:

6. Retain at least two of the four potential WR FAs (presumably Gabriel and Caldwell, since Jackson's signed 'long-term'), and get them to play catch with Brady and/or Cassel.

7. Send Gostkowski to work with Doug Blevins (the guy who got you-know-who ready to kick in the NFL).

PonyExpress said:

I like your approach. While I like Clements, I think he's going to be expensive. I might be in the minority, but I really like Graham and I want him back even if we have to franchise him.

PonyExpress said:
I can see this if Samuel doesn't expect the world. There will be other teams over-paying Clements.

PonyExpress said:
These should be mutually exclusive. Also, why restructure Colvin? I see no problem paying our #1 pass rushing OLB that money. They could even sign Thomas for the same amount and I wouldn't have an issue with it.

PonyExpress said:

The only Abiamiri I found on scouting sites was ROB Abiamiri and he came out in the 2005 draft and was from Maryland. Who are you referring to?

Which Spencer are you referring to? Anthony from Purdue? Robert from Jamestown? Caleb from Nevada?

By Waters, should we assume you mean Anthony, the LB from Clemson who tore up his knee? It remains to be seen whether he will declare or try and get a medical year and stay in school.

PonyExpress said:

It will be interesting to see how the DBs shake out. Its unlikely, with how high LaRon is rated, that he will be there for the Pats to even sniff. Though he could fall. Stranger things have happened.

PonyExpress said:

Why let Graham go? Neither Thomas nor Watson are half the blocker that Graham is at TE. And, for as good as our line has been, they've still needed the help.

ctpatsfan77 said:
I'd add a couple more items that I'd like to see--at least one of which might have some impact on the Pats' draft:

6. Retain at least two of the four potential WR FAs (presumably Gabriel and Caldwell, since Jackson's signed 'long-term'), and get them to play catch with Brady and/or Cassel.

I think you mis-read Miguel's page. When it says 2007, it means they are FA's AFTER the 2007 season. Caldwell signed a 2 year deal and Gabriel had 2 years remaining on his deal when the Pats acquired him. Gaffney also signed a 2 year deal.

It doesn't change that the Pats need to get them signed to longer contracts. I think that those 3, paired with Jackson and another WR taken in the upcoming draft would make a very FORMIDABLE WR corps.

Last edited:
DaBruinz,
Victor Abiamiri of ND. 6'4'' 265 DE. Might not be a fit, but a solid late 1st, early 2nd rd pass rushing prospect, worthy of a look as the draft season opens.

Anthony Spencer of Purdue (DE) was the Spencer I meant.

As for Waters, I was under the impression he was rehabbing and coming out; a redshirt seems unlikely since it would be his 6th year. A 2nd day flier despite the injury might pay off (he was considered on par with P. Willis before the ACL tear)- BB isn't likely to start a rookie ILB anyway.

About Colvin... You're right, cutting him would be foolish considering his cap hit would be close to 2 million. I optimistically predicted he would be an all-pro this year, and I've been disappointed by my own unrealistic expectations. Colvin seems to have leveled off from 2005 late season form. It's possible he's reached his peak performance as a Pat and next year, considering age and injury history, could be worse, which would be significant weakness in the D in 2007. As a precaution, The WOLB pass rush could use an upgrade...

Thomas' blocking is underrated. While not as good a blocker or as athletic as Graham, I believe Thomas is good enough if called on for the O to succeed, provided it incorporates his strengths- excellent hands and savvy as an outlet against the blitz.

As for the Samuel and Adalius Thomas signings... Just two needs, a veteran solid starting cb versed in a complex system, and a that PRusher I mentioned earlier. They appear to be the two best on the market and the Pats have the available room. Samuel is more important than Thomas, because of youth and scarcity at the position. Signing him would give the Pats flexibility in the draft. Otherwise, drafting a CB appears crucial, though even a first rdr couldn't replace Samuel in year 1. A. Thomas, in retrospect, while playing at all-pro level this year, may not be worth the investemnt due to his age (29). There are probably other OLB veteran prospects, I just haven't identified quality ones yet.

PonyExpress said:
DaBruinz,
Victor Abiamiri of ND. 6'4'' 265 DE. Might not be a fit, but a solid late 1st, early 2nd rd pass rushing prospect, worthy of a look as the draft season opens.

Interesting. NFLDraftScout doesn't have him listed. I wonder why.

PonyExpress said:
Anthony Spencer of Purdue (DE) was the Spencer I meant.

That was my original inkling, but I wasn't 100% sure.

PonyExpress said:
As for Waters, I was under the impression he was rehabbing and coming out; a redshirt seems unlikely since it would be his 6th year. A 2nd day flier despite the injury might pay off (he was considered on par with P. Willis before the ACL tear)- BB isn't likely to start a rookie ILB anyway.

It will be interesting to see what happens to Waters. I agree that he is a very good prospect, but a LOT will depend on whether he can participate in the combine or any Pro-Day.

PonyExpress said:
About Colvin... You're right, cutting him would be foolish considering his cap hit would be close to 2 million. I optimistically predicted he would be an all-pro this year, and I've been disappointed by my own unrealistic expectations. Colvin seems to have leveled off from 2005 late season form. It's possible he's reached his peak performance as a Pat and next year, considering age and injury history, could be worse, which would be significant weakness in the D in 2007. As a precaution, The WOLB pass rush could use an upgrade...

Well, I think that Colvin has turned into a very well rounded WOLB. Having someone to provide a consistent threat on the outside would definitely be a plus, but its not needed.

PonyExpress said:
Thomas' blocking is underrated. While not as good a blocker or as athletic as Graham, I believe Thomas is good enough if called on for the O to succeed, provided it incorporates his strengths- excellent hands and savvy as an outlet against the blitz.

Not sure why you consider David Thomas blocking under-rated, but ok. The times I saw him out there, the DEs were running through him without much trouble. And that isn't what the Pats need out there. They need someone who can force the DE wide far enough to give Brady the time to throw. Which is what Graham gives us. Also, Thomas' lead blocking is miserable.

PonyExpress said:
As for the Samuel and Adalius Thomas signings... Just two needs, a veteran solid starting cb versed in a complex system, and a that PRusher I mentioned earlier. They appear to be the two best on the market and the Pats have the available room. Samuel is more important than Thomas, because of youth and scarcity at the position. Signing him would give the Pats flexibility in the draft. Otherwise, drafting a CB appears crucial, though even a first rdr couldn't replace Samuel in year 1. A. Thomas, in retrospect, while playing at all-pro level this year, may not be worth the investemnt due to his age (29). There are probably other OLB veteran prospects, I just haven't identified quality ones yet.

I think that Thomas would be a great pick-up. Keeping Samuel would be good, but we still need to draft a CB, imho.

I really like step #1 in the plan. Signing Samuel and signing Clements. I guess the big question that needs to be answered about Clements is whether he wants to win with less money or potentially lose with more money.

I'd still rather draft another CB in the first round than an OLB/elephant backer. I was very high on Hall of Michigan until Ginn of OSU torched him. Bennett remains my strongest CB candidate.

I like the idea of using the other 1st rounder on a safety. Landry is projected as a future All-Pro. And his brother is doing extremely well in Baltimore with less talent and speed.

Mine....

Re-Sign Asante, Graham

Sign Ken Hamlin and Lance Briggs if possible and be joyous

Draft Antoin Casone/ Marcus Mccauley/ Leon Hall if they're not available go Griffin/ Nelson/ Landry

Draft Patrick Willis and get him to put on weight (only needs 5 to 10 pounds)

Draft Steve Smith and place him as a Troy Brown do-it-all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick