PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Undrafted Free Agents - Why So Few

NormZauchin

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I just checked a website that listed only four undrafted players signed by the Patriots. This was the fewest of any NFL team. Given that the Pats have been successful in coaching up UDFAs, why is the number signed this year so low?

I just checked a website that listed only four undrafted players signed by the Patriots. This was the fewest of any NFL team. Given that the Pats have been successful in coaching up UDFAs, why is the number signed this year so low?
Because they had and used so many draft picks. I think they only had 3 or 4 free agent slots after the draft.

Because they had and used so many draft picks. I think they only had 3 or 4 free agent slots after the draft.
This, and teams are limited each year to the total amount of signing bonus money they can allocate to all signed undrafted players, and the Patriots spent the bulk of their's signing Malik.

The league changed how roster spots count. Draft picks now count against the Total Roster when they are drafted. Not when they are signed. The Patriots had 86 Players on the roster (87 including DMac) after the draft. It was pointed out to me that DMac counted because he won't be removed until June 1st. That way his Salary Bonus Amortization is split between this year and next because of the "VOID" years in his contract.

Now, the Patriots are allowed to invite some players to try-out. They've done this in the past.

The 3 confirmed Signings are : Cunningham (QB/WR), Lumpkin (TE), and Heilig (LB/S/ST).

Malcolm Butler was an invitee and not a signed UDFA so you can still find talent out there. There is also some dead weight occupying roster spots that could easily be cut to make a spot for another UDFA.

Reactions: Ian
The league changed how roster spots count. Draft picks now count against the Total Roster when they are drafted. Not when they are signed. The Patriots had 86 Players on the roster (87 including DMac) after the draft. It was pointed out to me that DMac counted because he won't be removed until June 1st. That way his Salary Bonus Amortization is split between this year and next because of the "VOID" years in his contract.

Now, the Patriots are allowed to invite some players to try-out. They've done this in the past.

The 3 confirmed Signings are : Cunningham (QB/WR), Lumpkin (TE), and Heilig (LB/S/ST).
Bingo: 87 players under contract/drafted and 90-man ROSTER LIMIT
=
only 3 roster spaces for UDFAs.

Malcolm Butler was an invitee and not a signed UDFA so you can still find talent out there. There is also some dead weight occupying roster spots that could easily be cut to make a spot for another UDFA.
A few months later he made the most impactful play in NFL history. What a story.

A few months later he made the most impactful play in NFL history. What a story.
And yet all folks want to talk about is Pete Carroll not calling for a run, completely ignoring the time left, the down and the timeout situation. They also ignore the fact that Lynch was stopped 3 of 4 times trying to get a yard in the game.

And yet all folks want to talk about is Pete Carroll not calling for a run, completely ignoring the time left, the down and the timeout situation. They also ignore the fact that Lynch was stopped 3 of 4 times trying to get a yard in the game.
First: Eff Pete Carroll. :cool:

The first down play from the 5 yard line is whistled dead at 59 seconds. That's the one that High bench-pressed the lead block and stops Lynch. If Carroll calls time out there, he can run it one more time before going to hurry up on third and throwing it to either score or stop the clock again. Worst case, they don't score with Lynch on second down and snap it on third with somewhere in the 20-30 second range. An incompletion on 3rd puts them at what, 10-19 seconds left on 4th down, with their whole goalline playbook available to them. It's two bonehead moves: not calling the time out and then throwing it. You are 100% correct.

What a great moment. Perhaps the greatest series of downs to end a Super Bowl. That's truly a chess match.

Ignore the fact that Lynch was still one of the best RBs in the league and that they'd not run outside the tackles to that point on those stops. But, hey, we can all make up excuses as to why to not be impressed with Butler's play..

For whatever reasons you see above, also remember that we have one of the laziest, most incompetent front offices in football.

For whatever reasons you see above, also remember that we have one of the laziest, most incompetent front offices in football.
Is this sarcasm or another silly take?

First: Eff Pete Carroll. :cool:

The first down play from the 5 yard line is whistled dead at 59 seconds. That's the one that High bench-pressed the lead block and stops Lynch. If Carroll calls time out there, he can run it one more time before going to hurry up on third and throwing it to either score or stop the clock again. Worst case, they don't score with Lynch on second down and snap it on third with somewhere in the 20-30 second range. An incompletion on 3rd puts them at what, 10-19 seconds left on 4th down, with their whole goalline playbook available to them. It's two bonehead moves: not calling the time out and then throwing it. You are 100% correct.

What a great moment. Perhaps the greatest series of downs to end a Super Bowl. That's truly a chess match.
If Carroll calls the time-out where you say and they score on the next play, you give the ball to Brady with 50+ seconds left (and Brady had been tearing them to shreds the whole quarter). The Pats still had at least one time-out - I know, because I was screaming at them to use it after Lynch was stopped short.
They didn't because Seattle passing on the next play would give them a TD or another play, of course, but I admit that I didn't see it.

And they ran their bread-and-butter goal-line play, which the Pats had been specifically practicing to stop.

If this game wasn't an example of the greatest coaching you'll ever see, I don't know what might be. Butler made the pick - BB is probably the only coach who wins that game.

Is this sarcasm or another silly take?

He honestly believes it. Between the swearing ridiculously and the rants, I think the drugs he's done have fried his brain.

So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back