PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Underrated Season: Dont'a Hightower

Status
Not open for further replies.
Defense is shaping up to be REALLY good. We could go all the way THIS year, it's fun thinking how much BETTER these guys are going to get

Dont'a Hightower Mid-Season Highlights 2012 - YouTube

Statistically, very similar to Chandler Jones. 60 Tackles, 4 Sacks, 2 FR, 3 PD, 6 STF, 1 TD. Not bad considering he only started 13 games, and hasn't gotten as many snaps as Chandler.

Makes a lot of plays near the line of scrimmage. One of the best LB's at shedding blocks in the entire league. Would like to see BB/Patricia unleash him as a blitzer more. He might end up being the best LB on the team, and thats saying a lot with Mayo and Spikes here.

"Makes a lot of plays near the line of scrimmage. One of the best LB's at shedding blocks in the entire league"

Seriously, this is way out there.. I'm excited about him to and he's definitely progressed as the year went on but no way is this comment close to being true..

Why underrated? I think he has gotten alot of love despite being overshadowed by the flashier jones early on.

He's going to be a stud.

And people waste their time arguing with you. Are you serious with this? Dont'a Hightower Mid-Season Highlights 2012 - YouTube

looking at that vid two things stand out to me: his speed, guy can keep up w/ WR's and TE's in the flats, thats quick

his tackling: man does not miss, very sure tackler (obviously missed tackles aren't gonna b a part of this vid)

also the bit about him being an awesome block shedder, one poster has already denied this, id like to know how true/ what level he really is, thats one of the most important things for a LB in our system to do

Defense is shaping up to be REALLY good. We could go all the way THIS year, it's fun thinking how much BETTER these guys are going to get

I honestly and truly believe that this year's draft and free agency is going to put the final pieces in place on this defense, allowing them to make an even bigger statement towards progression than we even saw this season.

Some more depth and talent in the DL trenches, and an additional player or two in the secondary and this defense can continue to keep making strides to be a top 5 defense in the NFL. I really am confident about that.

The rookies have gotten plenty of reps this year, even Wilson too, which should only help their second season emergence. Then you have the staples of the defense like Wilfork, Ninkovich, Mayo, and McCourty...there's 4 more who we are all confident in.

The thought of another few/several players potentially making an impact in the youth and speed infusion practically make me foam at the mouth for next year already.

Another player that shouldn't be overlooked (I'm leaving Talib out...although I am impressed I am not 100% confident that he'll remain here) is Gregory. His tackling technique and core fundamentals in last week's game impressed me, and I believe that he came on as the season progressed. I'm not suggesting that the position can't be improved, but I am happy that he will likely be here as a 3rd safety at worst.

I would agree that Hightower is underrated in that most Pats fans would say Chandler Jones is the Pat's Rookie of the Year hands down.

The reality is that Jones fast start provided a great first impression that has just seemed to stick with fans. Meanwhile, Hightower has been very effective in the last half of the season but maybe isn't getting his due just based on first impressions alone.

"Makes a lot of plays near the line of scrimmage. One of the best LB's at shedding blocks in the entire league"

Seriously, this is way out there.. I'm excited about him to and he's definitely progressed as the year went on but no way is this comment close to being true..

Name 5 LB's who are better at shedding blocks. I can only think of one off the top of my head, and that's Patrick Willis.

Hightower even makes Spikes and Mayo look soft when it comes to shedding blocks.

I think he might be a little bit better than Guyton, what do you guys think?

Name 5 LB's who are better at shedding blocks.
At this point Patrick Willis, Derrick Johnson, Brian Cushing, Navaro Bowman, and James Laurinaitis.

At this point Patrick Willis, Derrick Johnson, Brian Cushing, Navaro Bowman, and James Laurinaitis.

Bwahahhaa....

that's a joke right? James Laurinaitis??? He's infamous for being HORRIBLE at shedding blocks. Infact, during the scouting process when he was being drafted, he was bashed more than ANY PLAYER I'VE EVER seen, when it comes to shedding blocks.

Google Search: "James laurinaitis shedding blocks". You will see how many people make fun of him for being so bad at it. It's probably the biggest knock on his game.

Thanks for the laugh. You should probably watch more football instead of getting your information from XBox 360 Madden games.

Bwahahhaa....

that's a joke right? James Laurinaitis??? He's infamous for being HORRIBLE at shedding blocks. Infact, during the scouting process when he was being drafted, he was bashed more than ANY PLAYER I'VE EVER seen, when it comes to shedding blocks.

Google Search: "James laurinaitis shedding blocks". You will see how many people make fun of him for being so bad at it. It's probably the biggest knock on his game.

Thanks for the laugh. You should probably watch more football instead of getting your information from XBox 360 Madden games.
It pains me to agree with MrNathanDrake but Laurinaitis isn't great at shedding blocks.

It pains me to agree with MrNathanDrake but Laurinaitis isn't great at shedding blocks.

Never has been. Not remotely close.

I'm not so sure about some of the other guys on that list, either, as far as that specific skill goes, though they're all good players.

Never has been. Not remotely close.

I'm not so sure about some of the other guys on that list, either, as far as that specific skill goes, though they're all good players.
If you told someone that London Fletcher had been one of the more consistent and better performed ILB/MLB's of the past 15 years they'd laugh at you.

There's actual performance and media performance. The two are mutually exclusive.

I was just basing Laurinaitis off a vs 49ers game I watched where I thought he looked pretty good shedding blocks, but I guess that was a fluke. Not going to lie I don't watch many Rams games. I stand behind the other guys though.

However Hightower in a year or 2 I think will be better than most of those guys at shedding blocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News