PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Uncle Heatster's Two-Round Mock Draft (3/12)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Comments

3. The Bears trade away the opportunity to draft Stafford for a mere 6th round pick? This is so dumb. Kyle Orton is NOT the answer. If Stafford fell that far they would HAVE to take him. Unless they were getting offered two 1st round picks in return, they should take him. A mere 6th is not enough for the top rated QB of the draft.

4. I'm not saying I like the QBs in this draft, but I just don't see them sliding that far.

5. Why a wide receiver for the Pats that early? Do you think it's that big of a need or do you just like Robiskie that much?

3. I think Orton is probably better than Stafford. He quietly had a nice season last year. I don't think they're in the market for a 1st round QB, but you bring up an excellent point. They could probably leverage more out of Tampa. However, Chicago has one offensive tackle under 34 under contract...Williams, who was hurt all last year. I think they would be very happy to take Smith there.

5. Yes, I think it's a need. Robiskie doesn't have the upside of Nicks or DHB, but he can contribute immediately. His knowledge of his position and the game are fantastic, and he's been around football all his life, which is a plus. I think out of the box he's better than Lewis or Aiken to play the third starting WR.

PS DHB to Minnesota? I don't see it. Bernard Berrian is coming off a good year after signing a fat contract and Sidney Rice is a promising young player. They have bigger holes to fill than WR. Besides haven't they learned the folly of drafting a WR early for speed alone after the Troy Williamson bust? I'd say that the real problem in Minnesota is Tavaris Jackson pretending to be a QB... not their wide receivers!

Last edited:
PS DHB to Minnesota? I don't see it. Bernard Berrian is coming off a good year after signing a fat contract and Sidney Rice is a promising young player. They have bigger holes to fill than WR. Besides haven't they learned the folly of drafting a WR early for speed alone after the Troy Williamson bust? I'd say that the real problem in Minnesota is Tavaris Jackson pretending to be a QB... not their wide receivers!

Well, I really think what there offense needs to open things up is a deep threat at WR. Berrian and Rice are OK, but they're probably never going to a Pro Bowl without a ticket. The QB situation should be resolved for this year with the Rosenfels trade. They also drafted Booty last year, and I doubt they've given up on Jackson, for good or ill. They could also wind up with McNabb if Philly is feeling rambunctious. QB should be set, for at least this year.

Excellent job as usual, Uncle Heatster. When can we expect Rounds 3-7? ;)

I would be surprised if we made that many pics in the second round. I expect that BB will try to parlay at least one of the pics for a 2010 first rounder.

This is the 2nd mock Ive seen now with Stafford going in the late teens. I cant quite figure that one out, considering how weak QB in the NFL is these days, and how atleast 3 or 4 teams at the top of the draft would be all over that kid.

#1 overall value? Maybe not. #18? I just dont get that.

To each his own, I guess. I have Ayers as a UDFA for the Pats. I guess it doesn't matter if I had him as a 3rd rounder, he's gone on the first day.

There were two national draft shows on this morning that had Ayers going late in the first round. Apparently he's rising.

There were two national draft shows on this morning that had Ayers going late in the first round. Apparently he's rising.

I have no doubt that he'll go somewhere from #15 to #40. I just can't see his value to the Pats being that high. I think he'd be a dynamite DT for somebody like the Bears/Bucs/Colts, etc.

27 Indianapolis - Hakeem Nicks WR North Carolina

30 Tennessee - Percy Harvin WR Florida

I was thinking about Indy's draft the other day and concluded there was a really high probability that they would go WR. If these two are available it's an interesting choice.

Points for Hicks: Big Receiver, runs good routes, would fit the passing tree Indy likes, good vertical speed.

Points for Harvin: Allows Gonzalez who the Colts already know they can count on from day one to move to Harrison's slot as the #2, great change up player that they could use out of the backfield to run and catch, tough over the middle.

I'm slightly inclined to Harvin only because it's Indy. For Tenn at #30 I'd like Hicks a lot more for their system.

I was thinking about Indy's draft the other day and concluded there was a really high probability that they would go WR. If these two are available it's an interesting choice.

Points for Hicks: Big Receiver, runs good routes, would fit the passing tree Indy likes, good vertical speed.

Points for Harvin: Allows Gonzalez who the Colts already know they can count on from day one to move to Harrison's slot as the #2, great change up player that they could use out of the backfield to run and catch, tough over the middle.

I'm slightly inclined to Harvin only because it's Indy. For Tenn at #30 I'd like Hicks a lot more for their system.

I see Baltimore at #26, Indy at 27, the Giants at 29 and Tennessee at 30 as very likely landing spots for Nicks if he gets past Chicago at #18. Possibly even Miami at #25. This could be relevant for the Pats, as the Giants have 2 second round picks (#45 and 60) and could potentially be trading partners with us if they want to move up for Nicks. A big WR to replace Plaxico Burress may be their greatest need. If we don't see any real value at 23, then trading 23 and 58 for 29 and 45 may allow us to get a much better player in the mid-2nd round than would have been available 13 picks later.

Good stuff, but I kind of disagree on Coffman. How does a rookie TE stay on the roster this year? We'd have to cut one of Baker, Watson and Thomas to make room. Is that really likely to happen? I can't see it.

11 Buffalo Rey Maualuga - LB USC

12 Denver - Tyson Jackson DE LSU

13 Washington - James Laurinaitis LB Ohio St (and here comes the LB run)

14 New Orleans - Brian Cushing LB USC

15 Houston - Clay Matthews LB USC

Love the mock,great effort. My biggest fear is that someone starts a run on quality LBers, well before our pick and BB has to either trade up in or trade out of round #1.

It is very realistic to think that Denver would start the run. And even though BB has the ammo to move up, you may be right about him trading out.

Not only do these picks make sense to those teams, but they seem to fit the profile of the team's based on past drafts, needs and team philosophy.

Not specific to this draft, but Connor Barwin seems to be getting a lot of attention as a tight end. He has meet with the Pats tight end coach twice I believe and now CSB Sportsline has him listed as a tight end. I won't like the pick if he is going to be switched back to tight end and be the team's new player project.

And with that considered, do they take a tight end like Coffman?

Ayers a DT? Do you mean DE?

No way he would be an UDFA as far as the Patriot's organization is concerned. C'mon.

Ayers a DT? Do you mean DE?

No way he would be an UDFA as far as the Patriot's organization is concerned. C'mon.

If you run a 4-3 defense and you take Ayers, then you pack a few pounds on him and move him inside, otherwise he dies a useless death at DE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News