Tuesday Patriots Notebook 10/6: Cowboys Looking to Get Ground Game in Gear

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 10/6: Cowboys Looking to Get Ground Game in Gear

Ian Logue

As the Patriots get set to play the Cowboys this week, down in Dallas the media is looking at this game as an opportunity for the Cowboys to take advantage of what they believe might be a glaring weakness for New England.

Continue reading...

I hope they can

After holding the Jaguars to just 57 yards rushing in Week 3, the Patriots have otherwise given up 134 and 160 rushing yards to Pittsburgh and Buffalo, respectively. Dallas is averaging 107.8 yards per game running the football and they’re tied for 4th in rushing touchdowns with five other teams

Pitt/Buffy = mobile QBs and Patriots played contain which allows a TB to get started a little. Plus with Pitt they were daring them to run to take away the excellent deep threats.

At the end of the day, a 3-'game data point is NOT REALLY MEANINGFUL.

But for the mediots it's a good meme to build up cowpokes hopes, with Weeden-no Dez, all they really have to hope for is a run game.

I agree the 3 point sample is insufficient to draw a certain conclusion, however, it is enough to have a bit of a suspicion. IMHO this game is a good test for our Run D. Dallas has their backup QB in, are a slightly above average rushing team, and the best defense against the high powered Patriot offense is to keep the Patriot offense off the field as much as possible when the clock is ticking. Dallas will undoubtedly look to impose some of their 'running will' on the Patriots.
Given the Patriots deep uncertainty in the Secondary I assume the Patriots must lean heavily on their front 7 exclusively getting the Run D job done. The Secondary, IMHO, can't afford to be leaning toward the run with any regularity.

The Patriots' new horses in the front 7 are here. Also, Mayo has two more weeks of practice under his belt. Further, the Patriots are probably as healthy as they will be for this game. this may be a good point to see the front 7 hold the per carry average down a modest step if not better. Side note: if they do I believe the Patriots will throw a pretty good beating to Dallas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST