PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Trick plays we'd like to see

Status
Not open for further replies.

slam

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
With the beautiful unveiling of the Vereen ineligible play not to mention the double pass, what other trick plays that are out there that we'd actually like to see the Pats try in a meaningful game? Be as "deceptive" as you can be.

The ineligible play has a few variants that comes to mind if the next opponent figures out that you don't have to cover the ineligible player. You could actually throw a lateral to the ineligible player. If that ineligible player is Edelman we know he can throw the ball. You could also maybe run some kind of hook and ladder to the ineligible player if you time it so that he doesn't cross the LOS until the pass is thrown.

You could have Vereen report as ineligible AND Solder report as eligible to further mess with their minds. Then run a draw play.

Remember the play when Rex had a player lie down in the end zone during a kickoff, hoping the kicking team didn't see him? That was dumb. No one lies down on a kickoff, so that called attention to that player. However, occasionally returners ignore the upmen who try to signal "stop" to the returner. So you can design a play where the returner ignores an upman's "stop" signal and runs the ball out of the end zone, then stops and laterals the ball back to the upman going the other way. This might still be a low percentage play, but at least the fakeout part isn't so obvious as Rex's concoction.

I'd like for teams to practice lining up in the weirdest legal formation possible, just to do when it's 4th and short and you know you're going to kick it anyway and you don't care if you get a delay of game. Say it's 4th and 2 at the opponent's 5 in the first quarter. So we line up with Gronk snapping the ball to Edelman while the entire rest of the offense is off on the right sideline. We run signals, put a guy in motion, yell a bunch of nonsense. Maybe the defense jumps or burns a TO. Maybe not, we get a delay of game, and Gost hits a 27 yard field goal instead of a 22 yarder.

With the beautiful unveiling of the Vereen ineligible play not to mention the double pass, what other trick plays that are out there that we'd actually like to see the Pats try in a meaningful game? Be as "deceptive" as you can be.

The ineligible play has a few variants that comes to mind if the next opponent figures out that you don't have to cover the ineligible player. You could actually throw a lateral to the ineligible player. If that ineligible player is Edelman we know he can throw the ball. You could also maybe run some kind of hook and ladder to the ineligible player if you time it so that he doesn't cross the LOS until the pass is thrown.

You could have Vereen report as ineligible AND Solder report as eligible to further mess with their minds. Then run a draw play.

Remember the play when Rex had a player lie down in the end zone during a kickoff, hoping the kicking team didn't see him? That was dumb. No one lies down on a kickoff, so that called attention to that player. However, occasionally returners ignore the upmen who try to signal "stop" to the returner. So you can design a play where the returner ignores an upman's "stop" signal and runs the ball out of the end zone, then stops and laterals the ball back to the upman going the other way. This might still be a low percentage play, but at least the fakeout part isn't so obvious as Rex's concoction.

I'd like for teams to practice lining up in the weirdest legal formation possible, just to do when it's 4th and short and you know you're going to kick it anyway and you don't care if you get a delay of game. Say it's 4th and 2 at the opponent's 5 in the first quarter. So we line up with Gronk snapping the ball to Edelman while the entire rest of the offense is off on the right sideline. We run signals, put a guy in motion, yell a bunch of nonsense. Maybe the defense jumps or burns a TO. Maybe not, we get a delay of game, and Gost hits a 27 yard field goal instead of a 22 yarder.
The weird formation on fourth down isn't a bad idea, it costs nothing to try (over just trying to draw the defense off side with a normal formation), and maybe it works. It will probably be more successful than the lame attempts we saw last weekend.

I favor the "Fumblerooski", "Triple Reverse" and "The 2 quarterback option".. the last is a play I dreamed up last night while smoking some poppies.. it entails Brady and Garapolo both lining up in shotgun formation, and whoever does not get the ball goes out for a screen pass and after catching the pass laterals it back to the other quarter back and he throws a long pass to a tackle eligible.

It is going to be a long week.

I never saw the reason to use the term "trick" play. It's just a play. Maybe "deception" play might be a better term, but in reality, every play has some form of deception to try and get the defense off their game, or vice-versa. To me, they are just plays, with some more cunning and/or brilliant than others.

My favorite was the intentional safety against Denver back in 2005 or so. Gave up two points on 4th down in order to gain a better position to kick from, and Coach knew his defense had a better than average chance of holding Denver to 3 and out, or at least out of the end zone. Worked wicked good, that.

It call comes down to what Coach Belichick teaches: Situational Football.

Flea flicker!

Probably the most fun play to watch when it works. The Colts could be a prime target for one too based on how the Pats run all over them.

Yup. Both Carolina and Indy ran the Flea Flicker this past weekend.
Ya I saw that I would be surprised if Indy tried one this week our defense usually does good against trick plays knock on wood.

I'm not a big fan of Boston.com and their click-baiting* these days, but this was pretty funny.

http://www.boston.com/sports/footba...aI9qSSoznYREfTlmN/story.html?p1=Must_Reads_hp

One example of the Patriots other "deceptions" against the Ravens:

It wasn’t just on the offensive side of the ball that the Patriots were emptying out the ethically dubious bag of tricks. On the deciding play of the game, Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco threw a pass to Tory Smith, who, at the time of its release, was in single coverage against backup corner Logan Ryan. Little did Flacco known, however, that Duron Harmon was also, covertly, with no prior indication to the offense of his intentions, patrolling that side of the field. Harmon slid over and easily intercepted Flacco’s pass. Game over.

*Actual headline from today:
The Man With Two Penises: Are Two Heads Better Than One?

Last edited:
I would like to see the double reverse, toss back to the qb and then out to a receiver...haven't seen that one in a long time.

So basically Brady gets the ball hands it to #11 running one direction behind the line, who hands it to #80 running back across the other direction who tosses it back to #12 to hit #87 down the seam or #19 to the post

....touchdown....Patriots....(*muskets...snow flying into air etc etc.*)

Fake kneel down before the half. Alert the ref before hand though so he doesn't whistle it down. Most players half ass it so have edelman speed down the field right at the snap. Brady starts to go down and then throws a dart to a wide open Edelman. Hard to believe nobody has ever tried this as far as I know.

With the Pats' 4 man front against the Ravens, Shane Vereen was ineligible to go more than 2 yards downfield, or to be a receiver. But the rules do allow a "lineman" to be on the receiving end of a lateral. I'd love to see Vereen line up ineligible on the line, wave his hands in the air to distract the opposing team, and then move a couple of yards into the backfield and take a lateral from Brady. He could either take off running if ignored, or possibly pass the ball (a la Edelman last week). Even if it didn't work, it would add to the defensive confusion and keep teams from ignoring him as a playmaking option once he lined up ineligible.

the next evolution is easy to predict...4 man line with Edelman declared as ineligible. Brady throws a lateral to Edelman who then passes to Amendola.

Last edited:
Fake kneel down before the half. Alert the ref before hand though so he doesn't whistle it down. Most players half ass it so have edelman speed down the field right at the snap. Brady starts to go down and then throws a dart to a wide open Edelman. Hard to believe nobody has ever tried this as far as I know.
Its happened in the NFL before.

since Pagano, is getting ready for any trickery the Pats might throw at them, The Pats should trick them by pounding the ball on the ground for 250 yards

With the Pats' 4 man front against the Ravens, Shane Vereen was ineligible to go more than 2 yards downfield, or to be a receiver. But the rules do allow a "lineman" to be on the receiving end of a lateral. I'd love to see Vereen line up ineligible on the line, wave his hands in the air to distract the opposing team, and then move a couple of yards into the backfield and take a lateral from Brady. He could either take off running if ignored, or possibly pass the ball (a la Edelman last week). Even if it didn't work, it would add to the defensive confusion and keep teams from ignoring him as a playmaking option once he lined up ineligible.
That was the play fake he carried out in the Bmore game.
I am 99% certain that Plan A for this formation was that they expected the Ravens to leave Vereen uncovered, and have a man on the receiver on either side of him, creating a 3 on 2 with a lateral pass.
Instead they covered him, and left a mismatch elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes