PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tracking BB's WR whiffs

I think we all know how 2019 whiffs such a Deebo, Metcalf, and Brown are doing [gawd, was painful to watch Deebo last weekend] but how about the more recent whiffs?

Jacobi Meyers certainly looked good last night; every time he caught a pass, I died a little. How is DeAndre Hopkins doing? How about Braxton Berrios? Pickens?
Unless you do a similar exercise for every other team, what's the point?

You won't prove whether they're better or worse - heck, as it's a team game, how do you prove anything with this exercise?

Look at Moss in Oakland, then in New England..Look at Ocho in Cinci and then in New England.

People look at statistics at the end of each year and think they tell the whole story, but they don't. No Patriot WR or TE got more than a few targets per game over the last few years - if that's the case, how can any of them get any serious total yards?

I remember a few years ago where Hopkins was getting something like 33% of Watson's targets. That's insane. Tells me more about Watson than
Hopkins, by the way.

LACK OF PICKING WRs.

It's not a mystery really. We don't use enough picks on WRs.

How can you develop a guy if you don't draft him in the first place?

Free Agency is not the place to get WRs.
Key word, right there. Remember when the Pats were faltering and out of it in the Newton year (2020).
Why weren't Harry, Meyers, Asiasi, and Keene getting tons of targets?
BB has no patience for rookie growing pains, so by the time the possibly good player really gets a chance, it's almost contract time.

Unless you do a similar exercise for every other team, what's the point?

You won't prove whether they're better or worse - heck, as it's a team game, how do you prove anything with this exercise?

Look at Moss in Oakland, then in New England..Look at Ocho in Cinci and then in New England.

People look at statistics at the end of each year and think they tell the whole story, but they don't. No Patriot WR or TE got more than a few targets per game over the last few years - if that's the case, how can any of them get any serious total yards?

I remember a few years ago where Hopkins was getting something like 33% of Watson's targets. That's insane. Tells me more about Watson than
Hopkins, by the way.
Still doesn't excuse the fact that we stunk at our WR evaluations the misses are too much to list. I mean we took CB Joke-Quan Williams :rolleyes: over some really good players and Duke Dawson the year before. Our CB misses early especially in the Second Round is just as bad.

Key word, right there. Remember when the Pats were faltering and out of it in the Newton year (2020).
BB has no patience for rookie growing pains, so by the time the possibly good player really gets a chance, it's almost contract time.
False.

Meyers was getting a ton of targets. He caught 59 passes that year.

Harry, Asiasi and Keene have never done anything in this league. They aren't good.

The Patriots hardly ever draft WRs. I guess I have to say this again. When they do and the guy is not developing, is it because the coaches pull them? Or is it because they are not very good?

Players like Chad Jackson, Dobson, Taylor Price, they went to other teams... and did nothing. They weren't very good.

Meanwhile we see players like Deion Branch, Malcolm Mitchell, Jakobi Meyers, they come onto the team, and they immediately produce.

This is more of a talent thing than a development thing. We see young guys who do PRODUCE here. We see young guys who don't produce here or anywhere else.

Look at Reagor on our roster. The chances of him producing are minimal, and it's not our coaches' fault nor the fault of all the previous coaches he has played for.

Last edited:
Still doesn't excuse the fact that we stunk at our WR evaluations the misses are too much to list. I mean we took CB Joke-Quan Williams :rolleyes: over some really good players and Duke Dawson the year before. Our CB misses early especially in the Second Round is just as bad.
Every team has the same proportion of busts. We make a lot of DB picks and suceed at the league average rate, which is why we always have a strong D-Backfield.

We make very few WR picks, which is why we don't have a #1 receiver.

But league wide the hit rate is 35% for WRs.

Just think: if Douglas and Boutte turn out to be good, the hit rate will be better than the league average. That's how few WRs we draft.

Every team has the same proportion of busts. We make a lot of DB picks and suceed at the league average rate, which is why we always have a strong D-Backfield.

Just think: if Douglas and Boutte turn out to be good, the hit rate will be better than the league average. That's how few WRs we draft.
Bill doesn't value the position. That is why we don't have one.

Every team has the same proportion of busts. We make a lot of DB picks and succeed at the league average rate, which is why we always have a strong D-Backfield.
What do Talib, Revis, and Gilmore all have in common?

Given Bill's compensation level, "league average" just doesn't cut it.

He gets paid top dollar to have more answers and better solutions, yet his aggregate roster is garbage.
The notion of ascending to "league average" is a pipe dream.

Just watched an Eagles fan's analysis of Reagor, and he said, "gives me Agholor vibes". Hmmmm...

So we're going to ignore the 16-0 record and the record breaking offense?

McDaniels takes a lot of blame for being thrown off by Spagnolo. No doubt that was a choke job though by Tom and the offense.

Including the train wreck of a Right side of the OL after Neal was injured.

Still, if only two, easily doable things happened then the Pats win that game anyway, in spite of the offensive ineptitude: Pierre Woods remembering that he's a man; and Bill allowing Gostkowski to try the 47/48-yard FG.

Edelman: "[When he walked in the door, it was clear as it can be that N'Keal wasn't a 1st rounder.]"

Wow. First time I've heard/read anything like this.

The other players saw right through Kneal, Harry THAT quickly?!?

Wow.

Just watched an Eagles fan's analysis of Reagor, and he said, "gives me Agholor vibes". Hmmmm...
Jack of all trades but master of none.:(

other than meyers (who did play alot in 2020) all those other guys are busts and/or out of the league.

Bill doesn't value offense or a #1 receiver. yet the way the league is trending offense and a #1 receiver are more important than ever before. we need to invest draft capital in the WR position. but I also don't trust bill evaluating the position.

i mean the guy picked Juju over Meyers

Wow. First time I've heard/read anything like this.

The other players saw right through Kneal, Harry THAT quickly?!?

Wow.

yeah thats bad. but we also know the scouts didn't want Harry. they wanted AJ brown and Bill over-ruled them. which supposedly lead to bill having less power drafting.

i mean the guy picked Juju over Meyers
So sis a lot of other people.
JJSS is off to a terrible start, but don't forget that he doesn't have Devante Adams opposite him, and he has Mac and not Jimmy, Jimmy's made of glass, sure, but he can play when he's out there.
The Patriots O is a mess. Most of that comes from a battered and mix-and-match OL and a QB that's looking more and more like he's simply not NFL ready.

So sis a lot of other people.
JJSS is off to a terrible start, but don't forget that he doesn't have Devante Adams opposite him, and he has Mac and not Jimmy, Jimmy's made of glass, sure, but he can play when he's out there.
The Patriots O is a mess. Most of that comes from a battered and mix-and-match OL and a QB that's looking more and more like he's simply not NFL ready.

Meyers has put up numbers since he's been in the league. He put them up with Cam Newton and Mac the last two years. So it's not like some big surprise jump in production.

he will probably put up more this year as Adam's takes more coverage.

But he was still an 800 yard receiver and a go to guy on 3rd down here. And guarantee he would be better than juju on this team right now.

Juju had 900 yards last year opposite Kelce. So at his BEST he didn't even do that much better than Meyers did here. So not sure what they expected.

It was just a huge whiff. Juju was cheaper and that's what Bill values more in signing players

Meyers has put up numbers since he's been in the league. He put them up with Cam Newton and Mac the last two years. So it's not like some big surprise jump in production.

he will probably put up more this year as Adam's takes more coverage.

But he was still an 800 yard receiver and a go to guy on 3rd down here. And guarantee he would be better than juju on this team right now.

Juju had 900 yards last year opposite Kelce. So at his BEST he didn't even do that much better than Meyers did here. So not sure what they expected.

It was just a huge whiff. Juju was cheaper and that's what Bill values more in signing players
I wish they had kept Meyers, too. He was a binky. And yeah, it was about pennies on the dollar, and probably because of his mouth in supporting Mac last year.
Not a good look for BB or New England.

Wow is this thread spinning its wheels.

Looking at the draft, most of the top #1s being mentioned go in the first 15 picks. That's what the draft shows. And even then half the guys in the top 15 are busts. The AJ, Deebo and Metcalf year was an anomaly. Compare it to last year: first 6 picks sucked -- > Treylon Burks, etc.

If you're waiting for Tyreek or Antonio Brown in the 4th thru 6th, good luck.

If we want a #1 we need to draft a guy like Marvin Harrison and Malik Nabers.

This is also an unusual FA year unlike the last 4. There are good FAs supposedly coming out this year if they don't get traded.

Our best bet to nab one of them is to trade a 2nd and then negotiate with them now. Because the chances of it happening in FA are minimal given our horrendous QB.

Last edited:

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
Back