PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tony Kornheiser- "Smug Patriots"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

p8ryts

In the Starting Line-Up
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
In the Washington Post on 1/30 Kornheiser refers to the Patriots as smug. What a strange adjective to apply to this team. Does this make sense to anybody?
Kornheiser's quote follows:
"everybody likes the Steelers. They aren't easily hateable like, say, the Cowboys or the Giants or the smug Patriots."

Tony Kornheiser.....LOL

I just looked up "smug" in the dictionary and this picture was there

Attachments

• PH2005091900968.gif
    PH2005091900968.gif
    8.6 KB · Views: 22
p8ryts said:
In the Washington Post on 1/30 Kornheiser refers to the Patriots as smug. What a strange adjective to apply to this team. Does this make sense to anybody?
Kornheiser's quote follows:
"everybody likes the Steelers. They aren't easily hateable like, say, the Cowboys or the Giants or the smug Patriots."

That guy is a moron.

DefenseRules said:
That guy is a moron.

I thought he was a Patriots fan.......it must just be part of his PTI schtick. I don't think the team is smug, but when BB is happy, he doesn't smile, he smirks, maybe that is what Kornheiser is talking about?

Bill's Girl said:
I thought he was a Patriots fan.......it must just be part of his PTI schtick. I don't think the team is smug, but when BB is happy, he doesn't smile, he smirks, maybe that is what Kornheiser is talking about?

First it was, they don't have any stars, then it was they are so boring, now they are smug. Whatever. Let the media say what they want.
Smug, hmm...what part of the Patriots is smug?
Do you really think he meant BB's facial expressions? :confused:

Tony Kornheiser is not a Patriots fan, but he was one of the only guys who gave them their proper due last year. I would say he's mostly a Redskins fan, given that he writes for the Washington Post. Also, I don't know a single serious football fan who takes anything he says remotely seriously. Even his Post column now has been reduced to a paragraph where he says a few smart aleck things and nothing at all insightful.

I would classify that as Beli-dissed or Belismacked.

Rumor has it, they Kornheiser will join espn mnf team.. I think he is ok, I never thought he was anti Patriots..

PTI is the best show out there. Tony is a Redskin fan and Wilbon is a Bears fan. So he called the Pats smug, i really do not think that is something to get all wrapped around the axle about. If you think about it...the Pats as an organization and we as fans have become a bit smug over this great dynasty.

Smugness is a privilege that comes with success. It's the quiet version of c*cky. Ever seen a smug 4-12 team?

PATSNUTme said:
I would classify that as Beli-dissed or Belismacked.
Your poll indicates it was a WB, wrong borgesed, a step down from the WC I'd say.

Being hated is a compliment in the sports world. Think about teams you have hated, the yankees, lakers, canadiens. Means the Pats are good. Plus if anyone has ever watched PTI Kornheiser is very complimentary of the Pats. That line doesnt bother me.

R_T26 said:
Being hated is a compliment in the sports world. Think about teams you have hated, the yankees, lakers, canadiens. Means the Pats are good. Plus if anyone has ever watched PTI Kornheiser is very complimentary of the Pats. That line doesnt bother me.

The Pats have been successful, so perhaps Kornheiser is assuming the success has gone to their heads. Like you say, it's nothing to get irate about.

Smug? Hmm..anyway listen to McGinnist on Jim Rome today? Very gracious in defeat and complimented the two teams playing in the superbowl. Not a smug remark to heard. Almost comical what some people will make up for attention.

Kornheiser isn't that bad at all. If anything the other guy is anti-Patriots.

Terry Glenn is a cowgirl said:
Kornheiser isn't that bad at all. If anything the other guy is anti-Patriots.

Wilbon? Yup. Wilbon also writes for the Post, but many Washingtonians dislike him because of his Chicago bias. It is sort of obvious, as was his Donovan McNabb bias which I got tired of hearing right around this time last year.

oh gawd no!!!!

R_T26 said:

Please don't ever put the Pats in the same sentence with the deplorable STANKEES!!!.....

The posters here who are claiming that Kornheiser is a Redskins fan have it all wrong. He just happens to write for the Washington Post, therefore much of his day concerns the Redksins.

This guy is a New Yorker through and through. Everything out of New York takes precedence with him. Isaiah Thomas is now important because he is no longer in Indiana and has taken his screw-up a franchise act to the Knicks.

Tony was a little fish at the Times years ago and got the opportunity to be The man at the Post. He could probably go back to the Times now as the head guy, but he has established himself in DC too much.

He also happens to be the most interesting and funny talk show host in the U S of A. I'm blessed to live in Maryland and be able to hear him on WTEM whenever I'm in my car on the way to meetings between 10:00 am and 1:00 pm. Every now and then I catch PTI if I'm working out on the treadmill at 5:30.

how does he know?

DefenseRules said:
First it was, they don't have any stars, then it was they are so boring, now they are smug. Whatever. Let the media say what they want.
Smug, hmm...what part of the Patriots is smug?
Do you really think he meant BB's facial expressions? :confused:
how/when was kornheiser close enough to the patriot team to ascertain any attitude, let alone smugness, on their part? did he ever talk to any players? probably not.
now if he spoke to BB/SP he probably got responses that one could consider "smug". others call it "close-mouthed, cautious, tight-lipped". "Smug", however, gets more of a rise outa people.
who gives a $h!t about what kornheiser thinks, anyway?

ilduce06410 said:
how/when was kornheiser close enough to the patriot team to ascertain any attitude, let alone smugness, on their part? did he ever talk to any players? probably not.
now if he spoke to BB/SP he probably got responses that one could consider "smug". others call it "close-mouthed, cautious, tight-lipped". "Smug", however, gets more of a rise outa people.
who gives a $h!t about what kornheiser thinks, anyway?
Well, that's exactly it. Kornheiser was never considered a true sportswriter anyway, only a humorist who happened to write about sports. His radio show covers a pile of topics that have nothing to do with sports either...in fact, I bet today he's talking about the Academy Award nominations more than anything in the sporting world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News