PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Toby Gerhart RB

Status
Not open for further replies.
IDK. The Pats have been using an RBBC since, what, 2007? With Maroney and a bunch of old guys, basically. It hasn't been great, but they were still 8th in rushing offense in 2008. And with no real lead or feature back. So, (assuming they can get the run-blocking back to 2008 performance levels) the first question is, do the Pats really NEED a lead/feature back now? And the second question is - is this the draft to be looking for "that guy"?

So, I see Gerhart as a less injury-prone Fred Taylor with fresher legs and, in that, he'd be an upgrade on the RBBC and probably worth the last 2nd-rounder to me. Maybe that's the best the Pats are going to do in this draft, no matter who they pick. Anyway, I have as much or more confidence in Gerhart in that sort of role as I do in all the other RBs in this draft with the possible exceptions of Spiller and Ben Tate.

IDK. The Pats have been using an RBBC since, what, 2007? With Maroney and a bunch of old guys, basically. It hasn't been great, but they were still 8th in rushing offense in 2008. And with no real lead or feature back. So, (assuming they can get the run-blocking back to 2008 performance levels) the first question is, do the Pats really NEED a lead/feature back now? And the second question is - is this the draft to be looking for "that guy"?

So, I see Gerhart as a less injury-prone Fred Taylor with fresher legs and, in that, he'd be an upgrade on the RBBC and probably worth the last 2nd-rounder to me. Maybe that's the best the Pats are going to do in this draft, no matter who they pick. Anyway, I have as much or more confidence in Gerhart in that sort of role as I do in all the other RBs in this draft with the possible exceptions of Spiller and Ben Tate.

Agreed, I don't think Gerhart has the value to us justifying that high a pick, I like the RBBC idea but I think 'the guy' is Mark Ingram and hopefully we can grab him in the 2001 draft.

Agreed, I don't think Gerhart has the value to us justifying that high a pick, I like the RBBC idea but I think 'the guy' is Mark Ingram and hopefully we can grab him in the 2001 draft.

Ingram ran behind a really good O line, specifically OG Johnson. But I think if he ran a 40 today, he would come in at around 4.6. He is not a true burner like Spiller, but he is extremely tough with good balance, good vision and he rarely puts the rock on the turf.

Gerhart is exactly what this offense needs, a power RB. A power RB gives an offense a toughness and gives the O Line a chance to punish the defense a little bit. I am concerned that Gehart had 5 fumbles last season and I am concerned about the knee surgeries previously, but the bottom line is we need a big punishing runner and he is the best to come along since the Giants took Jacobs.

Ingram ran behind a really good O line, specifically OG Johnson. But I think if he ran a 40 today, he would come in at around 4.6. He is not a true burner like Spiller, but he is extremely tough with good balance, good vision and he rarely puts the rock on the turf.

Gerhart is exactly what this offense needs, a power RB. A power RB gives an offense a toughness and gives the O Line a chance to punish the defense a little bit. I am concerned that Gehart had 5 fumbles last season and I am concerned about the knee surgeries previously, but the bottom line is we need a big punishing runner and he is the best to come along since the Giants took Jacobs.

YouTube - Toby Gerhart Highlights 2009 the real Heisman

I've watched this, and I don't even see huge holes. The box is usually stacked, so he uses vision and makes a move, one thing Maroney lacks. I want him at #53 for situations like 0.58 specifically in the vid. 3rd down and 1, the box stacked, no Maroney dancing or FB dives that fail.

I'm not that concerned about their 40 times, Ingram has a very good ability to shift and change directions which I value much more than a straight 40. There have been plenty of very fast guys that have never done much in the NFL, Welker never possessed great speed but his awesome quickness (ability to rapidly accelerate and decelerate) is what allows his to make so many plays.

Check out a highlight vid of Ingram, the kid has an awesome blend of power, speed, and moves that make him an incredibly dangerous player.

While I like Gerhart I think we have bigger needs at the moment and I especially think he'd be a wasted pick if we don't get a real fullback (which the Giants use to open the door for Jacobs).

His best attribute by far is his feet. He has Jerome Bettis feet. His oline DID create huge holes for him, but RB yardage should be considered a team stat. His ten yard split is slower than what I would like. I think his feet make up for everything.

Hahaha...? Dude, everyone is saying all this crap about him being a fullback. It's funny because no one is talking about any of the other running backs as full backs except Gerhart. And Gerhart actually has the measurements and skills for a running back. Do you see anyone talking about Matthews or Tate being a fullback? No. They are big and strong like Gerhart but hes the only one. Kinda suspicious to me.

Both are A) faster than Gerhart and B) have the moves and quickness to be able to get past the second level. Dwyer could just as well be a FB but I can see him being a more successful RB than Gerhart because he's show the ability to get to the edge and beat defenders on the second level.

Seems to me that with an upright runner like Maroney or even AD, especially with one who doesn't shy away from contact, you're going to suffer some strips by the defense. But you're still going to get more compensating production out of Gerhart than Maroney because of his vision and decisiveness. And, in the RBBC, he's not going to be relied upon as heavily as AD is (fewer carries = fewer opportunities for strips).

I think if we can pick up Gerhart and ****erson (as a 3rd-down back) this draft and somehow pick up Ingram in 2011 (assuming he's as good as he seems), the Pats backfield would be pretty much set for years to come.

Not saying they should take him, just looks like a tough guy with good vision.
I think Vision is more important than outright speed.

Last edited:
I eould love to see Gerhart in a patriots uniform. Him or Jahvid.

i would say we are getting a RB with one of our 2nd round picks. Just dont know who it is. I like Tate from Auburn, but a 2nd is a little too high. Maybe Best would be a good pick...we need to get quicker at RB.

i would say we are getting a RB with one of our 2nd round picks. Just dont know who it is. I like Tate from Auburn, but a 2nd is a little too high. Maybe Best would be a good pick...we need to get quicker at RB.
This times a million!

Gotta love the reverse racism card being played here.

What, exactly, is "reverse" racism? Do whites have the patent on racism and when other groups behave that way it's called something different?

Best is looking like a very early 2nd-rounder. Tate may be mid-3rd. Either would make us quicker. Perhaps the Lions would give us a 3rd for Mroney which we could use to get Tate.

Anyway, Gerhart would at least make our backfield a bit more durable and, therefore, consistent - which may be worth more than we know. Best certainly doesn't seem like a durable guy.

Best is looking like a very early 2nd-rounder. Tate may be mid-3rd. Either would make us quicker. Perhaps the Lions would give us a 3rd for Mroney which we could use to get Tate.

Anyway, Gerhart would at least make our backfield a bit more durable and, therefore, consistent - which may be worth more than we know. Best certainly doesn't seem like a durable guy.

You do know that Gerhart missed the 2007 season with a knee injury and he know wheres a bulky brace on that knee right. I honestly dont see his career lasting too long if he continues to run the way he does.

It's a stupid term that you should actually think about before using, no race has the lock on racism so there's no need to use the term "reverse" in front of it.

Google won't help you with that, it just requires a few seconds worth of thought.

Because you seem too smart to actually google what reverse racism is, its the act of discriminating against majorities. Please just google the term next time instead of asking me, reverse racism isn't made up and im not the first person to use it. for example:
High court backs firefighters in reverse discrimination suit - CNN.com
You may not agree with the term but until its deemed socially obsolete I and many others will continue to use it.

Bill did pick Touchdown Tommy Vardell in the first round when he was in Cleveland....

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft