PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Toby Gerhart RB

Status
Not open for further replies.
A second round FB? No thanks

Considering he was a top 5 heisman candidate at RB, and won the Doak Walker award for running backs, I'd say he's a pure power back.

He really didn't play until his junior year, when he combined his last 2 yrs for over 3,000 yds rushing and 42 TD's--in a major conference.

His versatility as a lead blocker or fullback would be just another plus, particularly on the blitz pickup, and he'd likely also contribute on special teams too. At 6'1" 235 lbs, he's certainly a bruiser. More importantly, he has pretty good speed at 4.5something.

I agree he may not be the best overall choice in rd.2, but should he fall to early rd.3--he'd be an absolute steal, much like Shonn Greene was for the NYJ last year. Just another reason why we need to grab a 3rd rd pick, for those projected rd.2's who fall to early rd.3. Some are just fine with him going in rd.2, I certainly wouldn't mind the pick at all. With Welker out the likely majority of the year, we need to be able to pound the ball and take some pressure off of Brady.

Manase Tonga

Considering he was a top 5 heisman candidate at RB, and won the Doak Walker award for running backs, I'd say he's a pure power back.

He really didn't play until his junior year, when he combined his last 2 yrs for over 3,000 yds rushing and 42 TD's--in a major conference.

His versatility as a lead blocker or fullback would be just another plus, particularly on the blitz pickup, and he'd likely also contribute on special teams too. At 6'1" 235 lbs, he's certainly a bruiser. More importantly, he has pretty good speed at 4.5something.

I agree he may not be the best overall choice in rd.2, but should he fall to early rd.3--he'd be an absolute steal, much like Shonn Greene was for the NYJ last year. Just another reason why we need to grab a 3rd rd pick, for those projected rd.2's who fall to early rd.3. Some are just fine with him going in rd.2, I certainly wouldn't mind the pick at all. With Welker out the likely majority of the year, we need to be able to pound the ball and take some pressure off of Brady.

I like the analogy to Shonn Greene. I think Gerhart is deserving a 2nd round pick.

Shonn Greene
5'11 230 pounds
4.62 40 yard dash
19 bench reps

Toby Gerhart
6'1 232 pounds
4.53 40 yard dash
22 bench press
highest wonderlic score of RBs. (30).

Gerhart seems to be bigger, faster, stronger, smarter, than Shonn Greene. Yet, he's going to be just a FB because he is white. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
That's ignorant on so many levels.

Why is that? With our needs, one of the last things we need is a novelty RB aka Fullback with one of our "oh so valuable seconds". Gerhart's impact for a team will be on special teams and short yardage. Hes not an every down back! Give me Best, McKnight, or Matthews over him in the second. Best and McKnight are weapons and Matthews is an every down back.

TriplecHamp said:
Why is that? With our needs, one of the last things we need is a novelty RB aka Fullback with one of our "oh so valuable seconds". Gerhart's impact for a team will be on special teams and short yardage. Hes not an every down back! Give me Best, McKnight, or Matthews over him in the second. Best and McKnight are weapons and Matthews is an every down back.

While he could certainly play some FB and special teams (NFL Draft Scout also lists him as a potential H Back), Gerhart projects to be a primary back in the NFL. He has the speed to hit the holes, can catch the ball coming out of the backfield ( would be a killer on screen passes) and can block. He's an athlete as he was a two- sport star at Stanford where he was a member of the baseball team as well.

While he could certainly play some FB and special teams (NFL Draft Scout also lists him as a potential H Back), Gerhart projects to be a primary back in the NFL. He has the speed to hit the holes, can catch the ball coming out of the backfield ( would be a killer on screen passes) and can block. He's an athlete as he was a two- sport star at Stanford where he was a member of the baseball team as well.

Whats bolded is what I think he will excel at. I see him and Tebow as similar type athletes, the difference is one can throw the ball and one ran the ball in college. Toby Gerhart will not be a successful starting RB IMO. Every running back in the NFL and in college can hit the hole, his hands are average, he isnt a good route runner but he is a serviceable blocker. He had a great career at Stanford but that doesn't mean hes going to have a great NFL career. He had a good combine that pushed him into the second round but he isnt a great RB prospect. He holds more value as the bolded. Hes probably the 6th or 7th best RB in this class. Spiller, Matthews, Best, Hardesty, Dwyer are all better pure RB prospects than him. In the Hback/FB role hes probably 1 or 2.

Gerhart's strong combine showing pushes him up to the 2nd round in the eyes of many. On the other hand Dwyer's poor combine performance has dropped him to the 3rd or 4th round. Questions about his offensive system also push him down.

Why not buy when stock is low? I wouldn't mind Dwyer in the 4th, and a 2nd seems a bit too steep for a powerback who might be only a fullback or might be a runningback. I'll have to go look at more film on each. The main thing I look for in a RB is their footwork, vision, and change of direction skills.

With the power back types, you don't usually see the shiftiness and change of direction, so you want to see them running over people and dragging multiple defenders. But you still MUST have the quick feet and churning legs to be successful at the NFL level.

I saw those kinds of qualities in Shonn Green in the film I watched on him last year around this time. The guy looked like a stud and it appears that he's going to be the main man for the Jets for the forseeable future.

Oh and as of now, I'd take Ben Tate over Dwyer. But Tate might not last till our 4th round pick so we need some fallback options.

Whats bolded is what I think he will excel at. I see him and Tebow as similar type athletes, the difference is one can throw the ball and one ran the ball in college. Toby Gerhart will not be a successful starting RB IMO. Every running back in the NFL and in college can hit the hole, his hands are average, he isnt a good route runner but he is a serviceable blocker. He had a great career at Stanford but that doesn't mean hes going to have a great NFL career. He had a good combine that pushed him into the second round but he isnt a great RB prospect. He holds more value as the bolded. Hes probably the 6th or 7th best RB in this class. Spiller, Matthews, Best, Hardesty, Dwyer are all better pure RB prospects than him. In the Hback/FB role hes probably 1 or 2.
I disagree and I think Gerhart has plenty of quickness along with his strength to be a good running back in the nfl. I don't think he will be great, but he won't be a bust.

I disagree and I think Gerhart has plenty of quickness along with his strength to be a good running back in the nfl. I don't think he will be great, but he won't be a bust.

He still wont be a starter. His impact will come as an Hback/FB. He isnt quick at all and he doesnt have any moves. North-South and straight up and down=short career. Hback/FB=longer solid career. Brandon Jacobs produced as a starter for 2 years and now he's starting to break down. His running style and Gerharts running styles are very similar but Jacobs has better moves and he's quicker through the hole.

He still wont be a starter. His impact will come as an Hback/FB. He isnt quick at all and he doesnt have any moves. North-South and straight up and down=short career. Hback/FB=longer solid career. Brandon Jacobs produced as a starter for 2 years and now he's starting to break down. His running style and Gerharts running styles are very similar but Jacobs has better moves and he's quicker through the hole.

I don't think so. Gerhart ran a 4.53 and Jacobs a 4.56. I know that it's different on the field but Gerhart is plenty quick. If he was black i'm sure all this fullback talk wouldn't be going on.

I don't think so. Gerhart ran a 4.53 and Jacobs a 4.56. I know that it's different on the field but Gerhart is plenty quick. If he was black i'm sure all this fullback talk wouldn't be going on.

Why because Black people cant play FB? Ive seen Gerhart play and hes not quick at all and there is no way in hell he can make it to the edge against an NFL Defense, hell he could barely make it to the edge against pac10 defenses but he's very good going north south but it takes him a good 6 steps to get to his top speed.

If he was black he would probably be a mid first round pick. Yout might want to check the the highlight reel champ. He can run outside and has moves. He faced the hardest competition out of the top 5 ranked rbs based on rushing defense rankings.

If he was black he would probably be a mid first round pick. Yout might want to check the the highlight reel champ. He can run outside and has moves. He faced the hardest competition out of the top 5 ranked rbs based on rushing defense rankings.

Haha so this is all just a racial issue, are you seriously trying to tell me that the Pac10 has better defenses than the ACC, SEC, Ill give you the WAC but Matthews is a much better RB than Gerhart talent difference be damned. Go back and look at what those defenses did against other conferences. BYU put up 44 against Oregon State, Arizona lost 33-0, the pac10 was pretty garbage last year! Gerhart isnt a mid first round pick or a first round pick at all because he isnt that good of a prospect. He gets so much love here because he was productive, went to stanford and he's high character. Hes not a great running back. Tim Tebow is also like Gerhart but he was even more productive but it doesnt mean he should be a 1st round pick, College production doesnt mean NFL production. Gotta love the reverse racism card being played here.

Haha, exactly. Still not better than Matthews but he's white and people for some reason think that he must be a full back then.

And there is no racism here. I am judging him as a football player but it seems that because he's white many people are not judging him like a ball player.

Last edited:
If he was black i'm sure all this fullback talk wouldn't be going on.
You keep blatting about race like this was 1963. It won't matter. NFL coaches aren't affected by a man's skin pigment as you appear to be.

And there is no racism here. Bull****. I am judging him as a football player but it seems that because he's white many people are not judging him like a ball player.
No one is talking race except you. No one said because he is white he has to be a FB.

Well, here's a comparator: Jonathan Dwyer, RB, Georgia Tech.

Both are physical north-south runners who have had disappointing/unsurprising 4.5 40 times. Both produced in college.

Who will have the better career, and at what position?

You keep blatting about race like this was 1963. It won't matter. NFL coaches aren't affected by a man's skin pigment as you appear to be.

Hahaha...? Dude, everyone is saying all this crap about him being a fullback. It's funny because no one is talking about any of the other running backs as full backs except Gerhart. And Gerhart actually has the measurements and skills for a running back. Do you see anyone talking about Matthews or Tate being a fullback? No. They are big and strong like Gerhart but hes the only one. Kinda suspicious to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back