PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Titans defeat Colts, 20-17

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ryan
Everyone calls dungy a good coach and he probably is a good coach but what has he added to the colts since he has been there.iam not knocking him , just a serious question, past 4-5 yrs his defenses have been bad and i doubt he has had an effect on the offense.Sure he may be a better coach than mora but its hard to see the value so far honestly..We can blame on salary cap for defense but they could still sign decent free agents and make this defense respectable....what do you think ?

I think he should have been fired two seasons ago. I hated the hire and still do. He does nothing for me.

The Colts organization is content on him being a good man outside the NFL. 12-13 regular seasons wins is a-okay. Who cares if they lose in the first round? We won 13 games!

LOL. If its sour grapes its towards my coach. Not the Titans. They played well both games and deserved the win.

Yes they were down 3. If they dont convert, it's first and 10 on the Titans 1 yard line with 3 minutes to go. I'd much rather burn our timeouts and hope they punt.

Well, it would have a gutsy call, and maybe the right call, since it's hard to imagine Manning not being able to coax a yard. The ESPN Gamecast says the distance was two yards, though. Perhaps that seemed the breaking point?

Well, it would have a gutsy call, and maybe the right call, since it's hard to imagine Manning not being able to coax a yard. The ESPN Gamecast says the distance was two yards, though. Perhaps that seemed the breaking point?

TV folks had it on the 1... could have been a yard extra.

What would BB have done? I dont think he kicks the FG.

I think he should have been fired two seasons ago. I hated the hire and still do. He does nothing for me.

The Colts organization is content on him being a good man outside the NFL. 12-13 regular seasons wins is a-okay. Who cares if they lose in the first round? We won 13 games!
on the other hand. if the colts win the SB i dont know how much credit dungy should get , although he will get a lot because of his 'good man reputation' just my thoughts...
honestly i thought the colts D should be better regardless of all the salary cap issues after dungy being there for 5 yrs..they shouldve gambled in the draft and moved up and grabbed a Dlineman instead of addai who has been a great addition but running backs can be found much easily in the league..compromise a bit on offense and get a good Dlineman

they shouldve thrown the ball in the endzone on 3rd down if they were not going to go for it on the 4th down...critical play manning should be throwing to wayne/harrison i think....

they shouldve thrown the ball in the endzone on 3rd down if they were not going to go for it on the 4th down...critical play manning should be throwing to wayne/harrison i think....

From the boxscore it looked like a broken play. Was Addai the outlet or last option on that play? Perhaps the receivers were being covered? Again, I didn't see it, so excuse my ignorance. It sounds like a really interesting series of events to discuss, though.

N/M: Ryan just answered my question.

Last edited:

They did throw on 3rd down. Touchdown to Utech but a PI call brought it back. Next play was also a pass play but with nobody open, he pitched it to Addai.

Let's see...Pats face the 9-1 Bears and kick a 52 yd clutch FG that makes the difference

Colts play the Titans and MISS a 52 yd FG at the end of the half. Those points were the difference.

Did anybody see Peyton being his typical crybaby self after the Titans were going nuts after the winning FG.

The kid had just made the play of his career, and Peyton is sitting there with "the face" on yelling at the referees and making the flag-throwing motion for excessive celebration.

THAT, Ryan- is why your QB is a LOSER. And always will be. When you guys actually win a meaningful game, maybe his legacy changes, but only then.

Now we'll soon see if a tight feeling in the collar is a Manning family trait.
Eli has the ball down 3 points against the Cows with over three minutes to go.
Let's see what he does.

for anyone saw the game...i heard on ESPN that dungy took a time out before the 60 yard kick when tenn was punting ..tenn was playing for overtime when the timeout was taken , they took the chance and won it....the espnews guys are blaming dungy....is this how it played out ?? quite idiotic in my opinion

for anyone saw the game...i heard on ESPN that dungy took a time out before the 60 yard kick when tenn was punting ..tenn was playing for overtime when the timeout was taken , they took the chance and won it....the espnews guys are blaming dungy....is this how it played out ?? quite idiotic in my opinion

I heard an alternative opinion, praising Fisher for forcing/fooling Dungy into calling the timeout, planning on sending the FG unit out there anyway, but wanting to run down the clock as much as possible...I have no clue how plausible this is.

This is what the Gamebook says... it depends on whether Tenn sent the punt team out after their timeout, they didn't have another TO so if they did send the punt team out no way it was a fake.
2-11-IND 42 :)15) 10-V.Young spiked the ball to stop the clock.
Timeout #2 by IND at 00:15.
3-11-IND 42 :)15) 10-V.Young pass incomplete to 45-A.Hall.
Timeout #3 by TEN at 00:12.
Timeout #3 by IND at 00:12.
4-11-IND 42 :)12) (Field Goal formation) 2-R.Bironas 60 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-58-K.Amato, Holder-15-C.Hentrich.​

This is what the Gamebook says... it depends on whether Tenn sent the punt team out after their timeout, they didn't have another TO so if they did send the punt team out no way it was a fake.
2-11-IND 42 :)15) 10-V.Young spiked the ball to stop the clock.
Timeout #2 by IND at 00:15.
3-11-IND 42 :)15) 10-V.Young pass incomplete to 45-A.Hall.
Timeout #3 by TEN at 00:12.
Timeout #3 by IND at 00:12.
4-11-IND 42 :)12) (Field Goal formation) 2-R.Bironas 60 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-58-K.Amato, Holder-15-C.Hentrich.​

Thank you for this...that changes things a bit.

The NBC highlights said TEN sent out the punt team, and Fisher changed his mind when Dungy called timeout.

I don't understand the Dungy timeout, unless he had the wrong personnel on the field after the Tenn timeout. Maybe Fisher did fake Dungy out. This will certainly make NFL Replay the week so we'll get to see the full sequence then if we don't before then.

Last edited:
Excerpt:

By all rights, it probably shouldn’t have. Bironas’ kick came after a series of timeouts called by Titans’ coach Jeff Fisher and Indianapolis coach Tony Dungy. Fisher had planned to kick the ball with 12 seconds left in the game, but thought better of it and decided to punt.

But when Dungy used the Colts’ final timeout of the half with Tennessee’s punt team on the field, Fisher changed his mind and sent the field goal unit back in the game. Had Bironas missed the kick, Indianapolis would have had the ball at midfield but with time for just one play.

“I called the timeout because we were trying to get [the defense] situated and that’s probably my fault. We should have had time to just match up and I didn’t want to have 12 men on the field and give [Tennessee] five more yards [with a penalty],†the Colts coach said afterward.

“They made a 60-yard field goal and we take our hats off to them. But we put ourselves in that position where a field goal beats you and it did.â€

Dungy said that he wasn’t sure if Fisher was actually going to kick the ball or if the Titans were going to attempt some type of trick play.

“I thought they might have some type of fake on, because it didn’t make sense to punt the ball to us. I thought they might try to take one more shot and try to make it, but you don’t know,†he said. “Again, we had many opportunities before that to get to the point where we are not losing with a field goal.â€

Fisher explained his decision to go ahead and try the field goal by saying that he didn’t want to give the Colts the ball with time left on the clock and a timeout with work with.

“The timeout was the issue,†he said. “If we don’t make the kick, there are seven seconds left and they’ve got a timeout. [Quarterback Peyton Manning] completes a pass of 15 yards, they are taking a shot at the field goal. I am not going to do that.

“I sent the punt team out there. He called a timeout. It’s an easy decision. You can take that chance where there is no timeouts left. So, it was a great hold and a great kick.â€

... and another Dungyism:

“We just have to be sharper,†Dungy said as his team prepares for a second straight AFC South road game this week at Jacksonville.

Excerpt:

By all rights, it probably shouldn’t have. Bironas’ kick came after a series of timeouts called by Titans’ coach Jeff Fisher and Indianapolis coach Tony Dungy. Fisher had planned to kick the ball with 12 seconds left in the game, but thought better of it and decided to punt.

But when Dungy used the Colts’ final timeout of the half with Tennessee’s punt team on the field, Fisher changed his mind and sent the field goal unit back in the game. Had Bironas missed the kick, Indianapolis would have had the ball at midfield but with time for just one play.

“I called the timeout because we were trying to get [the defense] situated and that’s probably my fault. We should have had time to just match up and I didn’t want to have 12 men on the field and give [Tennessee] five more yards [with a penalty],†the Colts coach said afterward.

“They made a 60-yard field goal and we take our hats off to them. But we put ourselves in that position where a field goal beats you and it did.â€

Dungy said that he wasn’t sure if Fisher was actually going to kick the ball or if the Titans were going to attempt some type of trick play.

“I thought they might have some type of fake on, because it didn’t make sense to punt the ball to us. I thought they might try to take one more shot and try to make it, but you don’t know,†he said. “Again, we had many opportunities before that to get to the point where we are not losing with a field goal.â€

Fisher explained his decision to go ahead and try the field goal by saying that he didn’t want to give the Colts the ball with time left on the clock and a timeout with work with.

“The timeout was the issue,†he said. “If we don’t make the kick, there are seven seconds left and they’ve got a timeout. [Quarterback Peyton Manning] completes a pass of 15 yards, they are taking a shot at the field goal. I am not going to do that.

“I sent the punt team out there. He called a timeout. It’s an easy decision. You can take that chance where there is no timeouts left. So, it was a great hold and a great kick.â€

... and another Dungyism:

“We just have to be sharper,†Dungy said as his team prepares for a second straight AFC South road game this week at Jacksonville.
cant really understand dungy here ....people talk about the cliche "putting your team in a position to win"...dungy basically gave titans a chance to win...and fisher's line "It’s an easy decision" makes dungy look simply bad..as if its an obvious thing anyone should know.....sure there were other plays which cost the colts the game but you dont think of those at the end of the game which is tied ...
...also props to fisher..he coached his team to the last second ..lot of teams forget about timeouts and all that stuff...ask herman edwards

here is the staple manning comment on officiating when losing

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=261203010
The Titans, allowing the most yards in the NFL, forced Indianapolis to settle for a tying field goal after facing first-and-goal at the Tennessee 1 late in the fourth quarter. They stopped Joseph Addai for a 1-yard loss, then Manning tossed an apparent TD to Ben Utecht, only to see the tight end flagged for pass interference. That backed up the Colts to the 12, and Manning overthrew Reggie Wayne.

Asked about the penalty, Manning asked the reporter to tell him what happened.

"Can you get fined by the officials for saying something like that? ... I didn't see it. Obviously a shame was what that was. (We) still had a chance to score after that and didn't do it," Manning said.

BTW Vince Young is the real deal. It takes a lot of guts for a rookie QB to lead his team to a come from behind victory like this against a team like the Colts. Yeah it took a 60 yard figgie to seal the deal. But this is one of the great wins of his young career. The Titans will be good as soon as next year so long as Vince continues to progress and the Titans surround him with the proper support.
This may be true, but Rothlesberger gave teams fits until they had collected some game tape on him. The challenge for Young is to continue to develop his skills and knowledge of the game, like a certain youngster did after 2001.

"NASHVILLE, Tenn. (Dec. 3, 2006) -- Peyton Manning completed an 18-yard pass to Ben Utecht, putting him over 3,000 yards passing for a ninth consecutive season and tying him with Dan Marino for the second-longest streak in NFL history. "

Notice a pattern here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes