PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thumbs up button

eagle eye

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I've seen this in use on other sites. Its a thumbs up/I agree/great post type/thanks thing where people can just do that instead of quoting a post and saying they agree. The twelve characters thing is an effort to stop these type of posts I think but a thumbs up button would be far better imo. I am aware that quoting posts puts a lot more pressure on the server and I think this would make for less quoting.

Just a suggestion to try and be helpful.

Bad move. It turns the board into a self-indulgent wank fest where people's objective turns from making quality posts into simply getting the thumbs up.

And once you implement such a system, it's tough to get rid of it over the objections of users.

I was mod on a board where we implemented a reputation system. Big regret.

I've seen this in use on other sites. Its a thumbs up/I agree/great post type/thanks thing where people can just do that instead of quoting a post and saying they agree. The twelve characters thing is an effort to stop these type of posts I think but a thumbs up button would be far better imo. I am aware that quoting posts puts a lot more pressure on the server and I think this would make for less quoting.

Just a suggestion to try and be helpful.

This actually has been under review for a while, and I have another one in mind that I think may work better :cool:

Didn't we actually have the system on this board for a while? IIRC we had it and then it got pulled.

As much as I like it and often respond to peoples' posts by writing "+1!", I have issues with it myself. On a certain board I used to frequent but shall remain nameless ;) it turned into a high school popularity contest; people would automatically put a "+1" on any post one of their buddies made, so that some members had ridiculously high totals.

Also people had a tendency to put a "-1" solely because they didn't agree with what the person said, regardless of whether it truly added to the discussion, which is what the rating is really supposed to measure.

We already have enough back-and-forth about "homers" and "gloom-and-doomers" on the board, the karma thing would probably just make it worse.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Back