PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Three- and four-tight end sets in passing game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tunescribe

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone has seen any passing formations so far in training camp using three or four tight ends. Imagine a version of the spread with Graham, Thomas, Mills and Watson on the field. Why not? With four highly capable receivers at this position, what exotic combinations might BB have in mind? Also, is Mills lining up at tight end most of the time or is he in the backfield as well? It's because of this bunch that I'm not as worried about wide receiver depth.

My "why not" is that it would keep the most athletic receivers we have (Branch, Caldwell, Jackson) standing on the sidelines.

BelichickFan said:
My "why not" is that it would keep the most athletic receivers we have (Branch, Caldwell, Jackson) standing on the sidelines.

It would mess with the minds of opposing defenders. And also might be the ticket for certain down-and-distance scenarios (red zone?). All our tight ends are pretty athletic for that matter; Graham and Watson not only are big and strong, they can get downfield in a hurry.

Last edited:
Tunescribe said:
I'm wondering if anyone has seen any passing formations so far in training camp using three or four tight ends. Imagine a version of the spread with Graham, Thomas, Mills and Watson on the field. Why not? With four highly capable receivers at this position, what exotic combinations might BB have in mind? Also, is Mills lining up at tight end most of the time or is he in the backfield as well? It's because of this bunch that I'm not as worried about wide receiver depth.
Goal line offense:

Graham on the left
Vrabel on the right
Watson split wide
Thomas in motion
Mills in the backfield

whoo hoo

spacecrime said:
Goal line offense:

Graham on the left
Vrabel on the right
Watson split wide
Thomas in motion
Mills in the backfield

whoo hoo

Yeah, and the defense is so freaked, Brady walks in on a quarterback draw. :rocker:

Tunescribe said:
It would mess with the minds of opposing defenders. And also might be the ticket for certain down-and-distance scenarios. All our tight ends are pretty athletic for that matter; Graham and Watson not only are big and strong, they can get downfield in a hurry.
I would have no problem with it on occasion and in certain situations but I wouldn't want to see it in many situations, especially 3rd and long which is when we usually have 3 and 4 receivers.

Tunescribe said:

No, Graham and Mills are PUP.

I did see Maroney in the backfield and Corey split out way wide on 2 occassions.If I were a DC that would give me a migraine.

jczxohn1 said:
No, Graham and Mills are PUP.

I did see Maroney in the backfield and Corey split out way wide on 2 occassions.If I were a DC that would give me a migraine.

That's right, Graham and Mills are out for the time being. Thanks for the reminder.

spacecrime said:
Goal line offense:

Graham on the left
Vrabel on the right
Watson split wide
Thomas in motion
Mills in the backfield

whoo hoo

Since the goalline is most likely going to be a running play, I'd much rather have a Pass, or !gasp! Seymour or !gasp!!gasp! Klecko back there for lead blocking.

spacecrime said:
Goal line offense:

Graham on the left
Vrabel on the right
Watson split wide
Thomas in motion
Mills in the backfield

whoo hoo

I agree with Tunescribe that a QB sneak would be a likely conclusion for such a lineup. . . . either that or a pass to Vrabel. [How do you think the JEST LBs feel about letting him get open twice last year?]

BTW--don't you mean this? :woohoo: :)

Last edited:
spacecrime said:
Goal line offense:

Graham on the left
Vrabel on the right
Watson split wide
Thomas in motion
Mills in the backfield

whoo hoo
Perhaps in a "they know your going to pass and so do you" situation, but I'd be partial to having Dillon in there ready to block or power drill his way in the end zone. I like Mills more for the middle of the field where there is more manuever room.

Box_O_Rocks said:
Perhaps in a "they know your going to pass and so do you" situation, but I'd be partial to having Dillon in there ready to block or power drill his way in the end zone. I like Mills more for the middle of the field where there is more manuever room.

The intriguing question remains how they plan to use these four tight ends -- interchangeably, in combinations, etc. All four have excellent receiving skills. Graham is a superior blocker, Watson is getting there. The blocking capabilities of Mills and Thomas are yet to be realized, but the early word was that Mills is projected as more "H-back" than true tight end. I can't wait to see how this all plays out, especially considering how tight end is the league's new so-called "in vogue" position. I hope BB has some innovative schemes planned for these guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 3 & 4 TE sets have me excited.

You could start out lined up in a tight set and then go to spread formations. Can you imagine a defense with all those LB's on the field trying to defend against the spread offense.

I'm also curious about the WR screen play we like so much. Instead of Branch or Brown trying to juke the CB, our TE's could just OBLITERATE them.

There are a lot of interesting possibilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes