PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thoughts on Cowboys vs. Bills and the Patriots matchup with Dallas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Thoughts on Cowboys v Bills and the Patriots matchup with Dallas

They weren't going to quit on him anyway. Just one game. More importantly, their shoddy play was validated because there were no consequences to it. A loss would have been just that. The played like crap and got away with it. They got off scott free. I hope they are 1/3 as sloppy as they were tonight on Sunday.

You may be right but I think with TO and no Glen quitting was on the table. And it sounds like the analysts all though so too, only now all is forgiven and he is a warrior who can make any number of mistakes and still pull a rabbit out of his ass as long as they hang in there with him. But judging from Wade's almost giddy relief it may well be stuff doesn't get corrected or humble pie served in Dallas this week.

Either way we better score early and often and late and not let up until we can kneel. The same things that make him bad dangerous make him good dangerous on any given Sunday.

You should try following football sometime. "Devon Heston" is embarrassing. Your team is good for the NFC. They'll lose next week. By a LOT. And it has nothing to do with that pathetic performance they put on tonight. It's because the Patriots are better. That's a W for N.E.

Honestly-I know-I'm just GLAD we somehow beat BUF tonight b/c we don't match up well with you guys. I'm happy with 5-1.

we don't match up well with you guys. I'm happy with 5-1.

I agree. I think this is going to be a lopsided NE victory. I just can’t imagine how The Boys will be able to stop our passing attack. Kyle Brady was inked for games like this. That Dallas pass rush will do nothing but make it easier for #12's weapons to get open. He is going to pick them apart with ease (IMO).

On the flip side, Romo is tailor made for a cerebral d# like the Pats. He stares his receivers down right up until he releases the ball. Asante lives to jump telegraphed passes like the ones Romo chucks.

I agree. I think this is going to be a lopsided NE victory. I just can’t imagine how The Boys will be able to stop our passing attack. Kyle Brady was inked for games like this. That Dallas pass rush will do nothing but make it easier for #12's weapons to get open. He is going to pick them apart with ease (IMO).

On the flip side, Romo is tailor made for a cerebral d# like the Pats. He stares his receivers down right up until he releases the ball. Asante lives to jump telegraphed passes like the ones Romo chucks.

Last year-Romo played very well against Cover 2 D's(Carolina, Indy, and Tampa). Honestly-I don't know how he blew early against Buf's Cover 2(and the Skins play a Cover 3, which is a concern to boot). Maybe the hostile Buf crowd? I dunno-but no excuses, nonetheless.

Dallas' run game has thrived due to teams having to protect against the pass. I seriously doubt that they top 100 total rushing yards (excluding non-intentional QB scrambles) against a NE defense that can stop the run better with their front 6 than most can with their front 7.

Rodney being back is also a huge plus in this game as NE can play with 3 safeties without much dropoff in run D.

Having just played the Browns is also a plus because they are similar style teams. Both have excellent, bruising RBs (although Lewis went out early, NE still had to prepare for him) and both passing offenses revolve around a star WR with top flight TEs. Even the OL's have some similarities. Really, the biggest difference is the fact that Romo is much more mobile than Anderson because both have that "gun slinger" mentality. The pseudo extra week of preperation is also a plus for the Pats.

Where the Boys do have a major advantage is that NE is much better a stopping precision passing offenses than they are "draw it in the sand" styles. For some reason, if a play breaks down the coverage seems to get worse. I expect Dallas to get their biggest plays in this mega-frustrating way; NE clearly shutting down the play but Romo buys enough time for someone to come free 20-30 yards down field.

With regard to NE's offensive matchup, I honestly expect NE to have their way with Dallas. The only thing that gives me any pause whatsoever is their pass rush, but NE has shut down all comers this year. I expect Dallas to get a sack or two, but NE to win the pasing LOS handily on most plays. I also think that NE will be able to run on Dallas unless Dallas eschews pass D for an extra man in the box, which I don't expect them to do.

Not totally offiicial, but what I am predicting right now is something along the lines of a 45-24 NE victory.

One thing that the Patriots have a huge advantage with in this matchup is the deep passing game. Roy Williams and Ken Hamlin are very mediocre when it comes to defending the deep ball. Throw in Moss, Stallworth, and Watson and that's a recipe for some big plays.

I agree, expect a lot of max protect to let those guys get downfield. Maybe we'll see that 3 TE + Moss offense that Moss caught the bomb out of in NY.

iam quite sure wade phillips knows this. He brought so much pressure on brady last yr when he was with the chargers to protect his secondary and he will do the same this week.

I bet in watching the film, that will give WP pause to bring to much pressure, to often....... TB will carve them up so long as our OL holds (and there is no reason to beleive they won't).

TB lives for moment like that.

Dallas' run game has thrived due to teams having to protect against the pass. I seriously doubt that they top 100 total rushing yards (excluding non-intentional QB scrambles) against a NE defense that can stop the run better with their front 6 than most can with their front 7.

Rodney being back is also a huge plus in this game as NE can play with 3 safeties without much dropoff in run D.

Having just played the Browns is also a plus because they are similar style teams. Both have excellent, bruising RBs (although Lewis went out early, NE still had to prepare for him) and both passing offenses revolve around a star WR with top flight TEs. Even the OL's have some similarities. Really, the biggest difference is the fact that Romo is much more mobile than Anderson because both have that "gun slinger" mentality. The pseudo extra week of preperation is also a plus for the Pats.

Where the Boys do have a major advantage is that NE is much better a stopping precision passing offenses than they are "draw it in the sand" styles. For some reason, if a play breaks down the coverage seems to get worse. I expect Dallas to get their biggest plays in this mega-frustrating way; NE clearly shutting down the play but Romo buys enough time for someone to come free 20-30 yards down field.

With regard to NE's offensive matchup, I honestly expect NE to have their way with Dallas. The only thing that gives me any pause whatsoever is their pass rush, but NE has shut down all comers this year. I expect Dallas to get a sack or two, but NE to win the pasing LOS handily on most plays. I also think that NE will be able to run on Dallas unless Dallas eschews pass D for an extra man in the box, which I don't expect them to do.

Not totally offiicial, but what I am predicting right now is something along the lines of a 45-24 NE victory.

I think that assessment in dead on, especially how we can struggle with the draw it in the sand offenses. Hopefully AD and Vrabel back on the outside and a little fatigue on the other side helps to mitigate that, and we capitalize on at least 2-3 turnovers in the process.

Dallas plays very tough and is very hard to beat at home..Even in the lean years of the early decade they were hard to knock off at Texas Stadium

Despite what mistakes you saw tonight, Dallas and its 12th man,the fans will be very fired up and its going to take a near perfect game plan to beat these guys.

If you expect Romo to toss 5 more Ints. no way its going to happen,He will be prepared and ready,He had a rare bad night off from what he has done earlier this season and unless his OL has major problems in containment,he should keep our secondary very busy on sunday afternoon.

Romo will get picked off at least 2-3 times and we'll make him cough it up.
Our defense is going to mutilate their offense on EVERY play.

We have alot to prove and we'll give a peek to Indy as to what punishment they can look forward to.

We will swarm!

say it with me.......contain contain contain.
warren, green, colvin and vrabl will be single-minded toward keeping romo in a collaping pocket. success in this area will dramatically limit his downfield options.

let's also remember that this is romo's 2nd season (sophmore slump) and even tom terrific wasn't immune from the hardships a 2nd year star QB to be can face.

that being said, if we continue to protect the ball like we have up to this point, the game won't even be close. if romo coughs it up like he did in buffalo it will get downright ugly real quick.

say it with me.......contain contain contain.
warren, green, colvin and vrabl will be single-minded toward keeping romo in a collaping pocket. success in this area will dramatically limit his downfield options.

let's also remember that this is romo's 2nd season (sophmore slump) and even tom terrific wasn't immune from the hardships a 2nd year star QB to be can face.

that being said, if we continue to protect the ball like we have up to this point, the game won't even be close. if romo coughs it up like he did in buffalo it will get downright ugly real quick.

That certainly is what they did against the Eagles in 2004. Good call.

What surprised me is how difficult it was for Dallas to move the ball on the worst defense in the league in Buffalo. Forget the picks, Barber and Jones couldn't run the ball and TO was pretty much taken out of the game by Jabari Greer (!).

Cowboys defense did look good, but Buffalo's offense isn't very good either.

2) Their secondary can be exploited especially by Wes Welker and Ben Watson. I'd say Moss but they'll probably shift half their secondary over to take him away. If not he's having a big game. Some screan passes to Faulk might rack up some yards as well.

I'm not so sure they will rotate coverage strictly over Moss. Henry is out and Newman, who is one of the most underrated players, but is fresh off an injured foot.

I think they are going to have to play a lot of cover two/three to protect their corners which should free up Welker and Watson working the middle. They don't have a corner who can cover either of them and Hamlin and Williams can't come close either.

We should be able to pick them apart which will make Bum Jr bring the blitz.

Which will lead to screens to Faulk, if he's healthy enough to play. He was awesome against the Chargers last year which is basically the same defense. Morris should be able to pick up the slack here.

I think we'll go 4 wide (with Watson being one of the wide outs) single back early and often to spread them out.

I'm not so sure they will rotate coverage strictly over Moss. Henry is out and Newman, who is one of the most underrated players, but is fresh off an injured foot.

I think they are going to have to play a lot of cover two/three to protect their corners which should free up Welker and Watson working the middle. They don't have a corner who can cover either of them and Hamlin and Williams can't come close either.

We should be able to pick them apart which will make Bum Jr bring the blitz.

Which will lead to screens to Faulk, if he's healthy enough to play. He was awesome against the Chargers last year which is basically the same defense. Morris should be able to pick up the slack here.

I think we'll go 4 wide (with Watson being one of the wide outs) single back early and often to spread them out.

Yup, these are all things I'm thinking about. Also, if the short-medium passing game to Watson & Welker works as I think it will this could cause the Cowboys to start shifting coverages which could open up the sidelines for Moss and Stallworth. We'll see but right now I'm thinking of all kinds of ways the Patriots could attack that defense.

I expect similar, however we have a pretty good record against gun slinging QBs. We manhandled the Packers and knocked Favre out before the half. Vince Young completed some big passes against us last year but for the most part he was a non-factor. Byron Leftwich is a bit unorthodox and he struggled both times we played the Jags in '05 and '06. We've shut down Philip Rivers two times in less than a calendar year.

I expect similar, however we have a pretty good record against gun slinging QBs. We manhandled the Packers and knocked Favre out before the half. Vince Young completed some big passes against us last year but for the most part he was a non-factor. Byron Leftwich is a bit unorthodox and he struggled both times we played the Jags in '05 and '06. We've shut down Philip Rivers two times in less than a calendar year.

I don't see Leftwich or Rivers as a comparable. I look more at the games against Carolina, but the Packer example is fine too.

wade phillips is a douche bag

I didn't realize what a low release Romo has. We have a lot of length (upper bodies, no crude jokes here :D) on our Front Seven - I expect us to try to make him throw from the pocket and go for batted balls even more than usual - I think we'll get several next week.

Dallas plays very tough and is very hard to beat at home..Even in the lean years of the early decade they were hard to knock off at Texas Stadium

Despite what mistakes you saw tonight, Dallas and its 12th man,the fans will be very fired up and its going to take a near perfect game plan to beat these guys.

If you expect Romo to toss 5 more Ints. no way its going to happen,He will be prepared and ready,He had a rare bad night off from what he has done earlier this season and unless his OL has major problems in containment,he should keep our secondary very busy on sunday afternoon.

Now what? The return of Tom Casale to the PatsFans message board?

Actually, I expect Romo to throw 6 interceptions against the Patriots.

Do you guys remember all the worry in the preseason about the DB's? No worries, Harrison is back and Asante here. The DBs are doing great and as a result of the front 7 or because they are holding their own, this is what the secondary is doing.

4th in interceptions with 8 (That would include the LBs obviously)
3rd lowest-longest pass given up of 36 yards
one of four teams not to have given up a pass of over 40 yards
6- passing TDs given up, 1, 1, 1, 12, 14 and 21 yards.

They have not given up the big one yet. Romo could be looking around all day for TO. :rocker:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST