PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

theScore - Report: Bears trade Jon Bostic to Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cadet released. Had not contributed to a position with good depth.

Could you imagine being in the bears locker room that day. The guy that gets the players to come see the coach, the one they all never want to see, walks up, hey coach wants to see you. All the other bears players avert their eyes...watch him make the long walk down to the coaches office.

They talk quietly among themselves. Comments about its a business, sucks for him, glad its not me are quietly made.

He comes back with this huge smile...Traded to the Pats!!

A line forms at the coaches office......

If any one gets released to make room it oughtta be Fletcher

The Patriots cut Travaris Cadet to make room for Jon Bostic.

edit: I'm really starting to hate that new Twitter function... The above quote was taken from a Jeff Howe tweet.

The more I look at this guys numbers the happier I become. At first I thought he was just a backup on CHI. But no, heavy rotation, with many tackles. Got much of his learning curve done in AAAA NFL over in CHI. He is going to excel here once BB limits his exposure and uses his strengths.

He led the bears in tackles a couple of years ago. We will see how it works out

Imagine how he must feel, going from the worst team right now in the NFL to the best.
A three decade reversal of fortune, from 1985 to 2015, although Bostic wasn't even born till long after that day of infamy.

I'm sure all these points have already been made, but I want to consolidate them into one mega-point here. Basically, over the past day I've been trying to think up all the ways that a guy on his rookie contract can become devalued by the team that drafted him, that don't necessarily come back to him being a ****ty player. Here's what I've come up with:

• Injury. Either he's hurt right now, or he's been hurt a bunch in the past and you don't trust him to stay on the field/his growth has been stymied, or both.
  • New front office. The GM that drafted him is no longer there, so he feels no need to prove he was right to draft him. GMs are typically more aggressive at parting with the last guy's mistakes than their own.
  • New coaches/scheme. New coach comes in and applies a new scheme. If all of the existing talent on the roster was drafted to play a different scheme, then chances are pretty good you'll be left with some poor system fits. With the Bears moving to a 3-4, Jared Allen and Bostic were two of the main examples of this, so it's no coincidence they were traded.
  • Character concerns. Kinda self-explanatory. Maybe he needs a chance of scenery, which is why some other team can be tempted into trading for him.
  • Poor coaching, dysfunctional organization. If you go and look at these types of reclamation projects, when it works it's usually a player coming from a crap situation to a good one. The reason why is often because the coaches in previous organization either poorly developed him or just didn't know how to use him. As a result, the organization may conclude that he's bad, when in reality he just needs to play for a coach who knows how to use him. Examples: Akeem Ayers is a prime example, Aqib Talib a lesser example since he was pretty good in TB too.
I'm sure there are more, but those are the 5 that jumped out to me. On the basis of any of these, you could argue that there's potential value in picking up the player in question, since these factors will drive down his price, but not necessarily his productivity on your team. If 2 or 3 apply, that's a situation that's very conducive to finding great bargains.

In Bostic's case, 4 of the 5 apply. He's injured, the Bears have a new GM and a new coach running a new defensive scheme that Bostic's a poor fit for, and their overall coaching and organizational competence have been in the toilet for the entirety of Bostic's time in Chicago. Character concerns are the only thing that don't apply to him from this list.

I have no idea if he'll be good, haven't watched enough of the Bears to even venture a guess. I still find it a bit puzzling that the Pats traded for a LB, but if I try hard enough I can construct reasoning that makes sense to me, and even if I couldn't Belichick's more than earned the benefit of the doubt a hundred times over. But independently of all that, as a potentially undervalued asset he checks almost all of the boxes.

Good question, and probably not the no-brainer decision that some might think for BB.
  • One could argue Watson because of the addition of another LB in Bostic, but he is young and still probably has upside.
  • Hooman would save some money and he has clearly slipped to the #4 TE, but the #3 TE Mike Williams isn't really a conventional TE at over 300 lbs, he is almost like another OL.
  • I'm sure many are chomping at the bit to release Fletcher (and given his production so far that may make the most sense), but he has better size than the other corners.
    • The Patriots were able to somehow figure out how to get good production from a big CB in Browner last year. That is a credit to the Patriot coaches, because he has completely crashed and burned in New Orleans, where they evidently haven't figured out how to use him.

I hope my analysis of who might get cut was useful to the board.....as something everyone can rule out from ever happening. :D

It didn't even occur to me that Cadet was a candidate to get cut.

Where is Ninkovich going?
Ninkovich is a FA after 2016 and will be a free agent..

I think that Bostic is more likely a comparison to Bruschi (size/weight/ability) than to Ninkovich or Vrabel.

Mayo was a bad contract. People here said he was one of the top middle linebackers in the game. Since his contract, he's spent 2 years injured and now is basically a backup. A lot of money to pay for a guy who only plays half the snaps this season and hasn't played the last two.
And I don't think its about scheme -- if he was better, Bill would figure out a way to get all 3 linebackers in there -- 3-3-5, 3-4-5, 4-3-5. Only reason we're using 4-2-5 for half the snaps is because Mayo isn't playing up to his expectation.

Umm.. They are using the 4-2-5 because they don't have the big body in the middle to eat up two linemen on a regular basis to free Ninkovich and Jones to get in on the pass rush. They are also relying more on their linebackers to put the pass rush on and less zone schemes.

There is no such thing as a 3-4-5 or a 4-3-5 since that would be 12 players. There is a 3-4-4 or 4-3-4. Which are your base defenses. The Patriots have been in the Nickel defense more often than not because they've been ahead of the opposing team so much that it's forced them to abandon the run early.

Mayo isn't as good a pass defender as Collins and not as good a Pass Rusher as Hightower. That's why he's not been on the field in the Nickel formations.

A three decade reversal of fortune, from 1985 to 2015, although Bostic wasn't even born till long after that day of infamy.
Except the Pats weren't the worst team in football in '85.

Jon Bostic fast to fit Patriots mold (10/11/15 update)
http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/.../2015/10/jon_bostic_fast_to_fit_patriots_mold

Bostic’s father, John Bostic, a defensive back for the Lions from 1985-87, preached a lot of the latter intangibles.

“Professionalism first,” Bostic said. “That’s something that (my father) takes pride on: doing the right thing; being where you’re supposed to be when you’re supposed to be there. All those things play a factor.”

“(I have) a lot of respect for the coaches on this staff,” he said of the Patriots. “Even when you’re in other organizations, other coaches talk about these coaches.”

:)

Well, this looks prescient with Hightower possibly missing a few games.

Well, this looks prescient with Hightower possibly missing a few games.

If Hi misses some time, talk about being as good of a situation as possible.

Mayo, Bostic and Freeny play more. Thats not awful.

Pats have a 4 DT rotation and can play E more on the edge if necessary if they need to emphasize run D.

I hope my analysis of who might get cut was useful to the board.....as something everyone can rule out from ever happening. :D

It didn't even occur to me that Cadet was a candidate to get cut.

And yet, how many of these guys are Patriots today?

At what?

The team uses him very differently now than 2012.
Because the team now knows that he can never, ever play a meaningful snap with the regular defense.
I'd rather see TFW's spot go to somebody with potential or with past production, neither of which TFW possesses, even in the slightest.

I'd also rather have Dekota Watson than Freeney.

Because the team now knows that he can never, ever play a meaningful snap with the regular defense.
I'd rather see TFW's spot go to somebody with potential or with past production, neither of which TFW possesses, even in the slightest.

I'd also rather have Dekota Watson than Freeney.
I'd like to see them swap out TW for a cover DB.

I think Freeny is pretty good. Don't have a strong enough opinion on Watson. He seemed OK in preseason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back