PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Unfinished Story of Why Tom Brady is Better Than Peyton Manning...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoLewisrocks

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I posted a link to this article on the NFL Top 100 thread, but I thought it deserved a thread of it's own. Cumulative stats are vastly over rated by those assessing performance in this league for a variety of reasons. Everything from surrounding talent to longevity can skew those while failing to provide what really matters - consistent and most significantly ultimate success. This is a pretty good indicator of why it is Tom has won more percentage wise, and it's not just the system. It's his performance within whatever system we employ. He often wins you games and seldom costs you a game. While some of his so called peers routinely cost teams games, particularly at the most inopportune times.

The Unfinished Story of Why Tom Brady is Better than Peyton Manning - Pats Pulpit

methinks that Brady and Manning are just about equal--and that both are better than Favre in terms of effectiveness, but less interesting quarterbacks than Favre.

Speaking in these terms, I do think Manning has an edge over Brady when it comes to qb pizzaz. for what that's worth.

methinks that Brady and Manning are just about equal--and that both are better than Favre in terms of effectiveness, but less interesting quarterbacks than Favre.

Speaking in these terms, I do think Manning has an edge over Brady when it comes to qb pizzaz. for what that's worth.
What makes Favre so interesting? He is an old man and that's interesting to me.

If by "interesting" you are talking about interesting like watching a possible train wreck, then I agree. You watch to see what kind of decision he makes to cost his team a game. If you mean that you find his extreme narcissism interesting then I think you're crazy. I'd rather watch intelligent QB play from Brady or Manning than the impulsive and often self-destructive play of an "It's All About ME" guy.

I think the weather and dome influence haven't been mentioned enough in the discussion. Not only are the dome home games a factor, but the road games in the division are in warmer climates like Jacksonville, Tennessee, and Houston. They usually also play a few teams that play in domes, giving them at least 75% of their schedule in good/perfect weather conditions.

I posted a link to this article on the NFL Top 100 thread, but I thought it deserved a thread of it's own. Cumulative stats are vastly over rated by those assessing performance in this league for a variety of reasons. Everything from surrounding talent to longevity can skew those while failing to provide what really matters - consistent and most significantly ultimate success. This is a pretty good indicator of why it is Tom has won more percentage wise, and it's not just the system. It's his performance within whatever system we employ. He often wins you games and seldom costs you a game. While some of his so called peers routinely cost teams games, particularly at the most inopportune times.

The Unfinished Story of Why Tom Brady is Better than Peyton Manning - Pats Pulpit

So part of the evidence that cumulative statistics suck are the highly misleading cumulative statistics from "2007-week 4 2010". Funny that on the one hand you say ultimate success is what makes Brady better, but he failed ultimate success in 05, 06, 07, 09. Yet we want to use statistics from that one amazing record breaking season of 07 in a skew of the last few years to prove Brady's numbers are better? On the same token that you can say Manning has always had top-level talent at WR, you can say that Manning has NEVER had the 2007 Randy Moss. Look at 2008 and what Cassel did with Moss, Welker and McDaniels.

Brady won with great defenses in 01, 03 and 04. Brady lost in 02, 05, 06, 07 and 09. Manning has rarely had a great defense. This nonsense that "only SB victories" determine the better player needs to stop. Manning is a great QB and there is just no way to definitively prove just which one is better.

Wins are highly dependent on many outside factors including surrounding team and coaching. Individual statistics are dependent on these same outside factors but to a much smaller degree. I'll take Brady but I'd take Manning in a heartbeat if Brady was unavailable. I don't need one to be better than the other either, I can acknowledge that they both are simply amazing.

I think the weather and dome influence haven't been mentioned enough in the discussion. Not only are the dome home games a factor, but the road games in the division are in warmer climates like Jacksonville, Tennessee, and Houston. They usually also play a few teams that play in domes, giving them at least 75% of their schedule in good/perfect weather conditions.

On the same token if you adjust for the statistical increase in domes you have to adjust for the statistical decrease in outside games late in the year for a QB (and team) that is conditioned to play inside. Brady absolutely has an advantage in the elements because he plays in NE.

If by "interesting" you are talking about interesting like watching a possible train wreck, then I agree. You watch to see what kind of decision he makes to cost his team a game. If you mean that you find his extreme narcissism interesting then I think you're crazy. I'd rather watch intelligent QB play from Brady or Manning than the impulsive and often self-destructive play of an "It's All About ME" guy.

No sir, YOU are crazy! Favre is just a gun-slinger out there having fun!!:bricks:

On the same token if you adjust for the statistical increase in domes you have to adjust for the statistical decrease in outside games late in the year for a QB (and team) that is conditioned to play inside. Brady absolutely has an advantage in the elements because he plays in NE.

I'd agree with that, and I do think it gives Brady an advantage, but not statistically. And so much of the Manning over Brady discussion revolves around statistics.

If we look at Manning from 1999 to 2001 (excluding his trial-by-fire rookie season), his completion percentage was 62.4%. I chose this period simply because he was in the AFC East, with road games to Buffalo, NE, and New York. Once moving to the nicer AFC South, his completion percentage rose to 66.8%. Part of that was his maturation as a passer, no doubt. But conditions also play a part, and that shows even in the past few years with Manning at his peak.

2009 was a great season for the Colts, but overlooked was the fact that 10 games were in domes, with 4 additional games in cities with traditional good-weather. The only games in traditional cold-weather cities were Baltimore in week 11 (45 degrees, mild wind, sunny) which was a tight 17-15 win, and the last game they didn't bother with against the Bills.

2008 was Manning's recovery year so hard to say much. But the only cold-weather game he played this season was against the 4-12 Browns, a 10-6 win where he threw for 125 yards and 2 INTs vs. 0 TDs.

In 2007, they dominated a 5-11 Ravens team in the cold. The rest were warm-weather/dome games. The only other game that kind of fit bad weather would be Carolina in late October, a big win where Manning completed only 46% of his passes.

A lot has also been made of Manning rebounding from some disastrous playoff statistics. But it's also worth noting that this has happened when the Colts have won enough to secure home-field advantage, or play in warmer weather. Since 2006, Manning has gone 6-3 in the play-offs. No surprise that only 2 of those games were on the road, and only 1 was in cold weather (Baltimore).

So the conditions do have some impact on the statistical edges Manning has currently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes