PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Senior Bowl Thread

If we could add Ford and Donald, that would be the best thing possible for our secondary. Keep Talib and when Mayo comes back we're looking pretty good on defense. Bring Wilfork back at a reduced salary.

We need PLAY makers

A. Donald reminds me a lot of the short DT from Cincinnati we had a couple years ago (his name escapes me, he retired due to concussions IIRC). I hope Donald drops due to height. We could certainly use him in sub-packages like the former Pat.

For the record, Mike Wright was 6'4".

A. Donald reminds me a lot of the short DT from Cincinnati we had a couple years ago (his name escapes me, he retired due to concussions IIRC). I hope Donald drops due to height. We could certainly use him in sub-packages like the former Pat.

More like John Randle 6-1, Warren Sapp 6-2 range. At that height you better be able to get low and keep your feet. Of course both are hall of farmers and he is just a draft prospect at this point.

I hope he drops because of his height as well, I'd be fully prepared to take him in the first.

That said, there's no reason to limit him to sub-packages, though he'd certainly be very useful there, he's quite good against the run.

I remember saying "someone make a ******* play" so many times this season. Especially on defense, very few if any play makers on our defense.

It was the lack of speed that bothered me, particularly on those frustrating third and longs we consistently gave up. Hopefully Collins fixes some of that but I want at least one more body that can close down a WR on a screen or a scrambling QB.

Myron Pryor?

Edit: never mind, answer seems to be Mike Wright.

It was the lack of speed that bothered me, particularly on those frustrating third and longs we consistently gave up. Hopefully Collins fixes some of that but I want at least one more body that can close down a WR on a screen or a scrambling QB.

Belichick has always wanted big bodies on defense and has passed on smaller, faster, and often better players to meet that criteria. And nothing demonstrated that any more than passing on LaVonte David in the 2nd did. By all accounts he really liked him as a player but when the time came he took Tavon Wilson (?). Even though they needed help at safety i didn't understand why Belichick would pass on a player with those skills, and I still think they should have taken him and they could have used him in a variety of ways.

I'm hoping they go offense early in this draft but if they don't I want them to draft more speed, unless it's Wilfork's eventual replacement, i can live with a space eater there, unless they commit to 4-3, then they can go for guys who can get to the QB inside.

Tavon Wilson was an awful pick, like you said they passed on a really good LB and if even if they didn't pick him Kendell Reyes went one pick later. They have not added any talent in years on the D-line years and he would have filled a huge void this year.

Belichick has always wanted big bodies on defense and has passed on smaller, faster, and often better players to meet that criteria. And nothing demonstrated that any more than passing on LaVonte David in the 2nd did. By all accounts he really liked him as a player but when the time came he took Tavon Wilson (?). Even though they needed help at safety i didn't understand why Belichick would pass on a player with those skills, and I still think they should have taken him and they could have used him in a variety of ways.

I'm hoping they go offense early in this draft but if they don't I want them to draft more speed, unless it's Wilfork's eventual replacement, i can live with a space eater there, unless they commit to 4-3, then they can go for guys who can get to the QB inside.

I appreciate that which is why I discount someone like Shazier for the Patriots but have latched on to the 258lb Marcus Smith. I haven't seen this confirmed anywhere but I do keep seeing suggestions that the Pats would have drafted Bobby Wagner that year if the Seahawks hadn't snatched him up. Wagner is 241lb so a little bigger than David.

I appreciate that which is why I discount someone like Shazier for the Patriots but have latched on to the 258lb Marcus Smith. I haven't seen this confirmed anywhere but I do keep seeing suggestions that the Pats would have drafted Bobby Wagner that year if the Seahawks hadn't snatched him up. Wagner is 241lb so a little bigger than David.

Where do you see the "cutoff"? Do you think BB would go for Dee Ford (6'2" 243#) or Christian Jones (6'3" 234#) if he liked them enough?

Where do you see the "cutoff"? Do you think BB would go for Dee Ford (6'2" 243#) or Christian Jones (6'3" 234#) if he liked them enough?

I personally work on 240 as the cut off. Bo Ruud was the only LB that BB has drafted that was less than that. I would say though that 250+ seems optimum for BB. With regards to Jones, I don't think he'd be a consideration because of that size except perhaps as a late round pick but this is BB so who knows.

I personally work on 240 as the cut off. Bo Ruud was the only LB that BB has drafted that was less than that. I would say though that 250+ seems optimum for BB. With regards to Jones, I don't think he'd be a consideration because of that size except perhaps as a late round pick but this is BB so who knows.

That still leaves a lot of room. Jamie Collins is 6'3" 250#, but very different in his build from tanks that BB has drafted in the past.

I agree with you on Marcus Smith. And Jeremiah Attaochu is interesting. But Kyle Van Noy, Dee Ford, Carl Bradford and Demarcus Lawrence are all interesting.

That still leaves a lot of room. Jamie Collins is 6'3" 250#, but very different in his build from tanks that BB has drafted in the past.

I agree with you on Marcus Smith. And Jeremiah Attaochu is interesting. But Kyle Van Noy, Dee Ford, Carl Bradford and Demarcus Lawrence are all interesting.

What are your thoughts on Christian Jones from FLorida State?

What are your thoughts on Christian Jones from FLorida State?

eh.

This team has so many holes and is so predictable and unable to throw down field that it's downright discouraging. I used to look forward to the draft with the idea that they needed "one or two holes filled", but I think it's larger than that.

Look at Kam Chancellor, huge safety, blazing speed, supposedly the hardest working best character guy they've ever had at Vtech or close to it. He goes in the 5th round! Meanwhile we're drafting JAGs in the 2nd and 3rd. Something is amiss.

eh.

This team has so many holes and is so predictable and unable to throw down field that it's downright discouraging. I used to look forward to the draft with the idea that they needed "one or two holes filled", but I think it's larger than that.

Look at Kam Chancellor, huge safety, blazing speed, supposedly the hardest working best character guy they've ever had at Vtech or close to it. He goes in the 5th round! Meanwhile we're drafting JAGs in the 2nd and 3rd. Something is amiss.

The only thing amiss is the full picture. The Seahawks have had their busts too and we've had our late round successes. And 4.62 is not blazing speed.

The only thing amiss is the full picture. The Seahawks have had their busts too and we've had our late round successes. And 4.62 is not blazing speed.

He's linebacker sized. Didn't they get Sherman in the 5th or so?

Not sure where they got all their guys, but they must have done some pretty great drafting. Carroll has pioneered the "huge CB"...I remember him trying to do it here with Tebucky Jones actually. Didn't work with him.

Just seems like every 3rd down is a 5 yard pass play attempt, if it doesn't work, they punt. Can't throw downfield worth a darn. Very sad. Very poor on 3rd down defense too.

I liked Telvin Smith, too small to be a linebacker but could be a strong safety, Looked like an excellent tackler goes close to 220 and 6'2' +

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back