The Rockies are the Anti-Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lloyd_Christmas

I can delete my own crap!
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
A not-so-flattering take on the "Eff-you" mentality:

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/10/16/the-debriefing-the-rockies-are-the-anti-patriots/

"Currently, there are two fascinating teams in sports.

One is the New England Patriots, an angry group of individuals that's systematically destroying everyone on their schedule. They go into contests with the goal of humiliating their not-nearly-as-blessed opponents, and they revel in the fact that this frustrates the hell out of you. They are great, they know it, and they're going to remind you of it every chance they get. They don't like you.

The other captivating team is the Colorado Rockies, who are playing with, to quote the lovely Annie Savoy, "joy and verve and poetry." Just as the Patriots do, the Rockies play to win ... but not because it proves anything to anyone, but because they like each other, because it's fun, and because they appreciate the extraordinary circumstances in which they find themselves. They are uninterested in, and unable to, explain their own success. They're having too much fun for that.

And they exist in sports right now as a perfect antidote to the Patriots."

Apparently we are no longer a team, but a group of individuals. Being hated and relishing in it wasn't enough I guess.

Last edited:
Seems to me the Pats are having a lot of fun.

What an idiotic comparison.

Yes, the Pats need more verve. And poetry. Ugh.

Hmm, that writer got 50% of the Pats right and 50% way off. The pats are angry individuals? Really? Isn't Randy Moss now considered a great teammate/person who hasn't said or done a single negative thing? They are calling him a leader. Isn't this the same guy who used to be the bad guy in the NFL?

Angry? Last time I checked we were one of the only teams that don't trash talk, are always humble, hardworking, and say nothing but great things about other teams.

The right: We are destroying everyone on our schedule and we are enjoying it. And yes, unlike the Rockies, we are simply better than any other NFL team in everyway. Our success can be easily explained. We are simply better and smarter than anyone else.

I guess people today would rather the little guys win without reason than the most talented, hardworking, smartest team winning because of their work ethic/ability. Don't we live in a democracy where capitalism is golden...

Last edited:
We do have 'Gravitas' though... can be get some love for the 'Gravitas' ???

My translation of that article:

Baseball is for pansies, Football is for men.

The Rockies are the 2001 Patriots. And there's nothing wrong with that.

The Patriots are the 1992 Olympic Basketball "Dream Team" from the US. And there's nothing wrong with that either.

http://www.usabasketball.com/history/moly_1992.html
The Rockies streak of winning is absolutely incredible...I really think in some ways a larger story in baseball...not only coming from nowhere being in 4th place in early Sept, but winning so many straight games.. The Dream team really did not have opponents at all...the Patriots DO...even though they are winning easily..better competition this year in teh NFL despite what is happening...a nice comparison though....can NOT think of another team like the Patriots this year though..steamrolling through everyone..

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News