PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Patriots vs Packers POST Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Poor game planning in my opinion. 30th ranked rush defense, no attempt to seriously establish the run. Our passing offense needs the threat of the run to sell play action, and they didn't do it today. So the pass rushers could pin their ears back and their defense looked better than it really is.

Not surprised we didn't pull it off, but margin for error was going to be thin regardless. Still think we're in the driver's seat.

They did try to establish the run. They started Bolden and Vereen...wait, whut?

Just showed the end of half td on post game, McCourty blew that. Bit outside when at best the right side (his view) ran the same post as Nelson. Said it was a bad safety play at the time, now it was nationally exposed.

Revis had outside leverage. Why was he looking outside?

Still, WTF was Mcdummy doing with all the inside vereen runs? Did he think he was out thinking the defense? Blount ran well, gray ran well on his one attempt. Wtf. This is the McDaniels that scares me this time of year. The obvious, personnel dictated call is abandoned for the "tricky" play. It has been his undoing late in the year in successful teams, and all year in his failings.

Winning the game is not as important as teaching a rookie not to show up late to practice.

Excluding final possession for GB and kneel down for Pats: 8 possessions each.

2.625 points per possession for Pats (would've been 3 per if Ghost hits)
3.25 points per possession for Packers (would've been 3.6 if they don't miss a FG)

Pats average 2.7 PPP and Green Bay averages 2.87. Green Bay gives up 1.92 points per possession, and we give up 1.74.

Sorry, but the offenses of both sides performed about as expected. It was the number of times they had the ball that dictated the outcome.

We put up 34 points against what was supposed to be the best D in the league last week and today we manage 21. If it isn't the O crapping the bed then it was our OC doing it.

Tom Brady: ‘You live for moments like this and you come up short’

We are right there with you brady...just short
I think as he said, having the ball at the 20 with a 1st down and not scoring a TD is the most haunting and frustrating part of this game.

Mccourty has to be better at getting to nelson and taking him down there...what a huge play it was
He bit outside on that. Maybe the post from the other side, I think they mentioned a wheel to the same side. In any case, like I mentioned in the game thread, terrible situational football.

Last edited:
I think as he said, having the ball at the 20 with a 1st down and not scoring a TD is the most haunting and frustrating part of this game.

even if the pats scored...GB was going to get the ball back with 2 min left..they would have went right down the field

We put up 34 points against what was supposed to be the best D in the league last week and today we manage 21. If it isn't the O crapping the bed then it was our OC doing it.

We were on the road also. We got behind a bunch unlike the in the lions game. The games were completely different

even if the pats scored...GB was going to get the ball back with 2 min left..they would have went right down the field

Green Bay would have only needed a FG to win or possibly tie the game if we got the 2-pt conversion. The defense wasn't gonna hold any better

Sure , but you wouldve liked to see that. Or better clock managment to try short passes instead of homerun throws.

I thought our secondary was actually pretty good. They played GB really tight on most if not all of the completions outside of one or two early in the game. Rogers just had 6+ seconds to throw, b/c of a combination of pass rushing difficulties and his great escapability. Further on the passes he did complete, he layed the ball in basically pinpoint zones. There is nothing any secondary can do (even Revis) against perfect routes/perfect throws.

The Dline was instructed to keep their gaps after he ran all over them early, but then there was no pass rush so its a catch 22.

Anyway, we've had that problem all year. Our fat DE's are too slow to contain fast qbs, so we have to give up a lb to spy on them. But then there is no pass rush, so eventually receivers get open. This strat might work against the Geno Smith's of the world, but not against one of the NFL's most deadly throwers.

Its a fundamental weakness of the Patriots line at the end of the day. It's no coincidence C Jones got a lot of sacks here. They were coverage sacks.
Lack of holding/hands to the face helped GB incredibly. Still, a good team overcomes.

Last week at home, this week on the road.

Winning the game is not as important as teaching a rookie not to show up late to practice.
Yes, that's definitely why they lost, not enough Gray, the straight from the practice squad to the hall of fame kid!

The offense was given 8 non-kneeldown possessions to work with. So exactly how many points do you believe they should have gotten with those? For extra credit, compare and contrast with their per-possession points year to date.

nothing to panic about. got be on the road by a superbowl caliber team by 5 points.

Another reason I didn't love the long TD-that-almost-was pass to Gronk. There were over 3 minutes left on the clock at that point. Why not chip away and chew up some clock? Didn't seem like great playcalling in that situation.

McDaniels refusal to run directly at a smaller athletic defense was dumbfounding. Should have pounded that defense with Blount or Gray instead of falling right into what that defense does best. 30th rank run defense and instead we tried to use a short passing game as our running game. Forcing a square peg into a round hole especially when our interior line couldn't hold up in pass protection. I thought we were past this.

Aaron was unreal, so I can't really blame our defense. He made some throws our defenders just had no chance. McCourty should have been there on that TD pass to end the first half, but it was just a great play by them.

Rodgers ability to scramble really made our defense play tentative in there rush scheme. But to give him that much time to throw, it's going to be a completion anyways. Tough to defend.

I'll blame this loss on our offense. Didn't hold up their end. McD in a big game got stubborn. We've seen it before.
This!

Forcing Vereen into the play book, up the middle? @!## I ranted about this after the KC loss. To his credit, he seemed to realize he can't outsmart his personnel in the fourth. Gray was one for six? Blount ran very well from my shoddy whisky addled memory. Vereen...no.

But that's Mcdummy's thing! We always swing Shane out for a pass, in just going to tell him to carry it between the guards (nevermind the GB d is much improved against the run lately)! What? I didn't trick them? I guess I'll call a play for a gimpy Edelman...

Seriously. For the brunt of the offense Edes takes, shut his ass down if he can't walk. This may have happened if IR-DOBSON didn't come up lame the first chance he got. #/^!

Frustrating game. Easily could have been much different with any one play going a tad different (gronk ez). In any case, a close, hard fought, competitive game. I think it would be an excellent rematch in February.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back