PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Official Pats at Ravens Post Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Offensive lineman normally wouldn't get a late hit or unnecessary roughness?

That particular play (that action, those circumstance) is not usually called, even with regular officials. The retaliation is called far more often.

Either way, you're making the mistake of assuming that I'm excusing the referees. I'm not. If you've paid attention to my posts, you'd know that I've been dumping on them from jump street.

I'm not making that mistake at all. I'm pointing out that your argument is ridiculously flawed. You're essentially saying "The officials were horrible. They had game changing calls. BUT..... they weren't the reason the Patriots lost. The Patriots lost because the Ravens moved the ball and scored, and we can't consider that the reason that the Ravens were moving the ball was often specifically because of those game changing blown calls by the officials."

Sorry, but that's just nonsense.

However, it doesn't change the fact that the team that executed better down the stretch won the game. That's a fact that's simply undeniable. The Patriots could have overcome the bad calls. They've done it before. Instead, the offense stalled on their last possession and the defense couldn't overcome the phantom McCourty penalty and still let Baltimore drive down the field. As I noted in the other thread, Wilfork echoed my sentiments after the game while still noting the officials.

The Ravens didn't really execute better down the stretch, though. That's the point. The Patriots often did their job. The officials blew the calls. That allowed the Ravens multiple additional opportunities.

And this "overcome" thing is garbage. You aren't expected to "overcome" game changing mistakes late in games. That's why we call them "game changing".

Last edited:
I'm just gonna drop this here.

Yea, this was the play where the assclown Collinsworth first said something like, "looks like Oher might have got away with a hold there." Then when they showed the isolation replay, he said "well it was close to being holding, but he let go just in time." :rolleyes2: :rofl:

That was more like a theatre of the bizarre than a actual football game.

Having read some posts, it feels like reading last weeks board again (or any loss last year)!

Yes losing is ****, and the refs awfulness (that is a word) is also ****, but it was only the 3rd game of the season! We could still go 14-2!

That was all night. No wonder CJones was quiet. On T. Smith's 2nd TD catch, Kyle Love made a beeline to the ref to petition for some kind of call.

I watched Jones on nearly every play and he was getting manhandled, either by Oher or by a double team. Didn't see any blatant holds on Jones, although I could be wrong. Oher is just a top-tier OT and Jones will get [much] better the more he plays and bulks up a bit. Just based on the sack that was negated, I still like how he can get to the QB. Nincovich is the achilles heal right now IMO--he's just not good enough to fill the role they need him to.

I watched Jones on nearly every play and he was getting manhandled, either by Oher or by a double team. Didn't see any blatant holds on Jones, although I could be wrong. Oher is just a top-tier OT and Jones will get [much] better the more he plays and bulks up a bit. Just based on the sack that was negated, I still like how he can get to the QB. Nincovich is the achilles heal right now IMO--he's just not good enough to fill the role they need him to.

Greetings,
I had a feeling before the season began that Cunningham would be the starting LDE by the time the season ends. I think Ninkovich is a Linebacker that is best used to go after QB's on occasion, not taking on lineman on every play.

Celticboy04

In hindsight McCourty should have just let him score.

No kidding. Situational awareness anyone? Let they guy catch it in stride for any easy TD rather than risking a PI in that situation. Bozo play that gave them the game on a silver platter. Better get Dennard up to speed fast, or start Sterling Moore instead. McCourtey needs to be moved to safety and backup CB until he can get his head on right.

That particular play (that action, those circumstance) is not usually called, even with regular officials. The retaliation is called far more often.

That makes it a good call (or no-call in this instance) how? It was still a late hit that should have went against Mankins for unnecessary roughness. Whether or not it would have happened with the regular officials is irrelevant. It's just one example of how the bad calls went both ways.

I'm not making that mistake at all. I'm pointing out that your argument is ridiculously flawed. You're essentially saying "The officials were horrible. They had game changing calls. BUT..... they weren't the reason the Patriots lost. The Patriots lost because the Ravens moved the ball and scored, and we can't consider that the reason that the Ravens were moving the ball was often specifically because of those game changing blown calls by the officials."

Sorry, but that's just nonsense.

The only call that I would really consider "game changing" that I could think of is the Edelman PI call in the first half that should have went against the Ravens instead of for them. He was tackled before the ball even got there. Other than that, all of the other bad calls that I can think of ended up with the Ravens putting themselves in a position that the Patriots ultimately could have stopped had our corners actually played NFL caliber football.

The Ravens didn't really execute better down the stretch, though. That's the point. The Patriots often did their job. The officials blew the calls. That allowed the Ravens multiple additional opportunities.

Sure they did. Consider the last drive for the Patriot offense.

1. Pass incomplete short right to Ridley.

2. Brady pass complete short right to Welker for 11 yards.

3. Ridley run for 1 yard.

4. Brady pass incomplete short left to Lloyd.

5. Brady pass short right intended for Welker, intercepted by Webb, penalty on Webb for illegal contact.

6. Ridley run for 3 yards. Penalty on Baltimore bench for Unsportsmanlike conduct. <-- Ticky tack.

7. Ridley run for 1 yard.

8. Brady sacked for -7 yards.

9. Brady pass incomplete to Gronk.

10. Mesko punt.

Translation: Our offense was placed on the field having driven at will at times throughout the game with the chance to stomp on their throats and the Ravens out-executed us in spite of one call that seemed ticky tack at best and one call that was right. On their final drive, the call is bad and goes against McCourty. The Patriots defense still has a chance to execute and pull out the win and McCourty commits a horrible pass interference penalty.

Having read some posts, it feels like reading last weeks board again (or any loss last year)!

Yes losing is ****, and the refs awfulness (that is a word) is also ****, but it was only the 3rd game of the season! We could still go 14-2!
Or the year before or the year before that etc. But i have to disagree with you in regard to the reffs. The reffs had a major impact on this game, the defense was on the field far to long then they should have been. This is the first time i've EVER blamed a loss on the reffs but thats the way i see it.

Last edited:
`
That makes it a good call (or no-call in this instance) how? It was still a late hit that should have went against Mankins for unnecessary roughness. Whether or not it would have happened with the regular officials is irrelevant. It's just one example of how the bad calls went both ways.

The call was fine. Your argument is not.

The only call that I would really consider "game changing" that I could think of is the Edelman PI call in the first half that should have went against the Ravens instead of for them. He was tackled before the ball even got there. Other than that, all of the other bad calls that I can think of ended up with the Ravens putting themselves in a position that the Patriots ultimately could have stopped had our corners actually played NFL caliber football.

See, this is the kind of garbage I expect out of lesser posters. To say that the Mayo PI call wasn't a game changer is just ridiculous, for example. If you can't even acknwledge that 3rd down PI miscalls change games, there's no need to continue with this, because such an argument is so fatally flawed.

Last edited:
Pats are not going 14-2. That ship has sailed. Looking at the schedule this team has to face some Good quarterbacks who can throw the ball. Manning, Schaub and Alex Smith. Denver is not a great team but Manning can still hurt the pats secondary, 49ers and Texans are solid teams all around.

Not to mention they have to play the seahawks and the jets a couple of times. There is simply no gimme games for this team anymore. I thought they would finish 12-4 but I am thinking that 10-6 is a real possibility.

See, this is the kind of garbage I expect out of lesser posters. To say that the Mayo PI call wasn't a game changer is just ridiculous, for example. If you can't even acknwledge that 3rd down PI miscalls change games, there's no need to continue with this, because such an argument is so fatally flawed.

I just consider it to a lesser degree. I stressed the Edelman PI call because it directly took points off the board. The Mayo PI call was still bad, but the defense still had a chance to stand tall and make the bad officiating an afterthought and could not do it. Again, Wilfork echoed the same sentiments.

This is still a very good team that's very likely going to make the POs, and they'll probably make some noise once in. They just lost two games of the type that you expect to win 50% of the time. It sucks, but they played two good teams and lost because of some hard luck and poor execution. If this trend carries into next game win or lose it's time to start worrying about this team.

Thought was worth reading.

Another defensive dud for Patriots - BostonHerald.com

BALTIMORE — With the game on the line last night, the Patriots [team stats] weren’t a bend-but-don’t-break defense. They were a no-stop defense.

Quarterback Joe Flacco threw for 382 yards with three touchdown passes. Running back Ray Rice ran for more than 100 yards. The Pats surrendered 503 yards of total offense.

You don’t win games allowing five scores in the last seven drives, which is exactly what the Patriots defense did last night.Should there be any surprise Baltimore hit a last-second field goal?

The way the defense played, you just knew the Pats were dead after giving up the ball with 1:55 to play. They may have had the lead, but there no way it was secure given how the defense was playing.
Eight plays later, game over.

Raven's LB Brendon Ayanbadejo with the super secret code:

A8wFW.png

I said it last week, now I am vindicated, Brady is now one of the biggest chokers in the game. Yes, yes, I know, the homers will point to games where he has come up with a drive late in the game when they are behind. The Dallas game last year for example. The real problem is that when they are already down, there's nothing to lose. And he can function. But I have never seen a quarterback fail as consistently as Brady when he has the slim lead late and just needs one solid drive to ice it.

Think back about how badly he crumbles in these big moments. Against the colts on the famous 4 and 2. Against the colts in 10 he couldn't engineer a drive to close it out, James sanders saved him with a pick though. Against the giants last year in both the regular season and the super bowl his drives sputtered giving the ball back to Eli with just enough time left. Against the colts in the 06 championship game he needed just one more first down and couldn't get it. Against the ravens last year in the title game he could not ice it, instead he threw incomplete to Hernandez which gave flacco time for that final drive that ended with a missed kick.

Then you have tonight, all Brady needed was one or two first downs. But he could not muster it. It is a definite pattern. And it has been a pattern since the acl injury. He sees phantom rushers and ducks under for no reason, or ducks under before the rusher gets there where a calmer qb who can actually operate under pressure would have side stepped. The worst part is that if that play happens during the middle of a game, Brady side steps the rush like a champ and throws a strike downfield. But when he has to protect a lead, he flounders. He's too worried about messing up a lead that is pre existing.

don't know what you're smoking but TB isn't the issue here. it's the crap play calling from McDaniels that is the issueI.

I don't know what the solution is except to start taking the ball out of his hands late and get a better running game. Or, you just have to try and throw non stop early and build a big lead when there is less pressure and he feels more comfortable to operate.

I don't know what you're smoking but TB isn't the issue here it's the crap play calling from McDaniels that is the issue

Pats are not going 14-2. That ship has sailed. Looking at the schedule this team has to face some Good quarterbacks who can throw the ball. Manning, Schaub and Alex Smith. Denver is not a great team but Manning can still hurt the pats secondary, 49ers and Texans are solid teams all around.

Not to mention they have to play the seahawks and the jets a couple of times. There is simply no gimme games for this team anymore. I thought they would finish 12-4 but I am thinking that 10-6 is a real possibility.

11-5 is my guess this year

I see no chance that the team beats both SF and HOU since both teams are overall much better than Baltimore

Could this team have an unmentionable 5-3 or 4-4 record at Gillette this year?

I never thought it was possible,but this schedule says otherwise

I'm just gonna drop this here.

51636_2438284691943_1046568774_o.jpg

LOL at Collinsworth saying "Oher almost held Ninkovich there"

Meaning, of course,

"that is a blatant hold but if I complain too much or Goodell will start sending electric shocks through the seat of the chair I am sitting on"

I just consider it to a lesser degree. I stressed the Edelman PI call because it directly took points off the board. The Mayo PI call was still bad, but the defense still had a chance to stand tall and make the bad officiating an afterthought and could not do it. Again, Wilfork echoed the same sentiments.

Unless something happens on the very last play of a game, there is always a "chance" to overcome. Your argument is just a lousy one. When you stop a team, you've stopped a team. When a bad call then requires that you do it again, you are not at fault for failing to do so. You'd already done it. You've still got to try to make the stop, but saying that's not on the officials makes no sense.

I said the same thing in that Chargers game a couple years back, too, so this is not about the Patriots.

Not even counting the other blown calls, just go count the yardage and points that came on, and after, the botched defensive calls against the Patriots. Here's an obvious one:

78 yards and 7 points off the Mayo PI call

That's the difference in the game, right there, and that's not even bringing in the call on spikes, or some of the other phantom calls on the defense, and it's not bringing in things like the holding call on Gronkowski, either.

Last edited:
Im always behind the patriots 100% win or lose but they can use some help in that backfield i wish they still had antwain spann i think he would of been good help for the team last night he's quick and i seen him in action a couple of times and i know right now they can use him mccourty does a good job but that mistake last night caused us to lose another game coach bill keep doing a good job you win some you lose some but its far from over yet i dont know if antwain spann has a agent or not but we could use him

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes