PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Official Patriots vs Jets POST Game Thread

I don't particularly care if the team wins every game 13-10. What was concerning was the lack of synchronicity on offense without Gronkowski, Amendola and Vereen suiting up. Inject those three back into the line up and that will alleviate many issues. That said, the rookies in Thompkins, Dobson and Boyce need to show they belong in the NFL. None of the three have shown that through week 2.

We'll get a far better idea of where the D is at in weeks 4,5 and 6.

Believe me, i dont care if we win in a shutout or an ugly game anyday of the week. i just think we can do better, alot better. but hell, i'll sign a 5-2 win on every game if it brings us the lombradi.

About boyce, did he get any significant reps? i didnt see him yesterday on the field except one snap.

About our rookies in general, i think dobson can be a great WR. we saw that he can get the separation really well, they couldnt cover him. the problem with him is the drops and miscomunication. if we look at our last WR core except moss we did miss that kind of WR that can make the separation down field and strech it out.

gopats.:rocker:

congrats on the win.

brady showed himself in all his glory by putting balls right in his wr's hands left & right all night long in very tough conditions (2nd half).

nice play call on the early td as well ... you completely caught the jets D with their pants down on it.

both teams had wr's dropping balls left & right ... you guys definitely need your other pass catchers besides Edelman to get back ... i have to say that i am amazed to see Dobson getting praise from some of you ... i thought he was horrible :eek: ... Edelman had a very solid performance ... with several clutch 3rd down receptions to keep the chains moving.

this game was there for the taking ... unfortunately for me Geno showed his rookie-ness late in the game with a couple bad picks ... thought he played reasonably well though for most of the game though, considering it was only his 2nd start. the pick (i believe in 2nd quarter) when we were in fg range just can't happen though ... it took a fairly certain 3 points off the board ... which in the end was the difference in the game.

pats D made the plays they had to when it mattered.

congrats again.

I think it's really funny that most people one here wanted more of a 2001-2004 Pats game and now they have it they still complain. For the first time in many many years I'm actually very comfortable with our D. It's September and the Rookies need time. I was as frustrated as anyone else with yesterdays game but we have to think positive. I'd rather grind out the results in the regular season and make them a mentally TOUGH team than cruising through the regular season looking like the AFC SB favourtie and then losing to the ******* Jests @ Foxborough.

The only thing I really am mad about is that lowball offer to Emmanuel Sanders. I mean letting go of Welker was debatable and in hindsight not a good choice but it was something we could understand. Amendola plays tough and showed that he is a great Welker replacement. But the Steelers were cash strapped. The FO could just front load that money and Brady would have another target besides Edelman, until Gronk, Vereen and Amendola returns.

As long as we win and we look like we're going to take the division I'm happy to watch the rookie receivers earn their experience. I mean we all know what Gronk,Amendola and Vereen offer to this team. The experience they now make could be the difference in the play offs.

Actually, yeah, I'd argue that watching the play in slow motion gives you a better idea than being there and seeing it "in real time".

It was a bang bang play. Even the GIF that was posted distorts things as it doesn't show when Mangold started his dive.

Please.

If you actually SAW the play, you would understand that it was at the very tail end of a very long and winding interception return. Talib was slowed down, turning, fully gassed and was out of bounds when Mangold (who is no rookie) launched himself at the knees.

Sorry, Demo, but the only player who would argue that was a "bang bang play" would be a player who cannot grasp the speed of the game (I'll be a good boy and not mention your idol's name! ;) )

I think it's really funny that most people one here wanted more of a 2001-2004 Pats game and now they have it they still complain. For the first time in many many years I'm actually very comfortable with our D. It's September and the Rookies need time. I was as frustrated as anyone else with yesterdays game but we have to think positive. I'd rather grind out the results in the regular season and make them a mentally TOUGH team than cruising through the regular season looking like the AFC SB favourtie and then losing to the ******* Jests @ Foxborough.

The only thing I really am mad about is that lowball offer to Emmanuel Sanders. I mean letting go of Welker was debatable and in hindsight not a good choice but it was something we could understand. Amendola plays tough and showed that he is a great Welker replacement. But the Steelers were cash strapped. The FO could just front load that money and Brady would have another target besides Edelman, until Gronk, Vereen and Amendola returns.

As long as we win and we look like we're going to take the division I'm happy to watch the rookie receivers earn their experience. I mean we all know what Gronk,Amendola and Vereen offer to this team. The experience they now make could be the difference in the play offs.

+1.

What struck me was this was the anti-Pats D of the past few years.

The secondary was excellent and a real strength. However, VW was disturbingly dominated last night. And Spikes was sub par also. The Jets OL manhandled the D Line in the running game. A lot of productive runs straight up the middle.

Arrington is showing that he truly deserved that new 4 year contract. Dennard and Talib are the best CB combo we've had in years.

Last edited:
Wait, what. People are actually trying to say that mangold hit on talib was not dirty?

This hit..

ku-xlarge.gif

Come on, that was dirty.

He clearly launched into the air with helmet first to hit the knee IN THE FRONT; not the back of the leg and at the time he launched Talib was still inbounds. (so I guess I can give Demos that).

but in actuality THAT IS MUCH WORSE the leg wouldn't have given at all if he took the hit on the front and he would have a broken patella, miniscus tears, acl the whole works. thank god he rotated around (amazing agility that) AND jumped up so he didnt have an anchor point (to make him take the whole brunt) when he saw the dirty hit coming.

What also makes it worse (intent wise) is that Mangold had another guy just to his right and behind (even closer to sideline) - so he KNEW THAT THERE WAS NO WHERE FOR TALIB TO GO. and he goes for the dive.

Only one thing to say.....
P.O.S., payback is a M-Fer.

be interesting to see what the DL does in the meadowlands. (does he play ST?).

I expected this game to be close but a playoff team shouldn't have more punts then first downs. Obviously there's going to be frustrating games on the offense like this game, but it's better to get it out of the way now then the second half of the season when teams are really tough. Hopefully, as soon as Gronk comes back the offense can have some sync I really do believe Gronk can be that much of a difference maker

The protection was decent against an underrated Jets pass rush, but the Patriots have no weapons. They'll have to suffer through rookie "mistakes" but hell, if that rookie "mistake" means you can't even catch a ball, then that player has no place on the field. And that's exactly what will happen.

Once Gronkowski returns next week or in week 4, these rookies may as well be weekly inactives. It's obvious that Tom Brady doesn't want to put up with them and is only doing so because he has to. Give him Gronk? He'll throw to Gronk 30 times a game. Amendola returns? 2 man show. Vereen? He'll be locking in on 3 guys all game, and when a defense figures that out he'll crumble just like he has these past few years because there is no other receiving option on this team.

That is my honest assessment after seeing last night's performance. People say the offense will be better when Gronk, Amendola and Vereen return. You bet they will be, but that's because the rookies will be finding themselves on the bench or on the street. It really was a waste drafting them.

It was a late hit but I do not believe Mangold's original intent was to go after Talib's knees or ankles. His original trajectory appears to show him aiming for the waist or even the chest area if Talib had kept running and Talib made a nice spin move to avoid the hit.

ku-xlarge.gif

Last edited:
They could very well be the worst "competitive " game I have ever seen. replay after replay Pats guys running the wrong routes and tons of dropped passes. More punts than first downs. So far this receiving core makes the 2006 team look like superstars. I like Edelman but he is in no way a number one option. He should be a 3rd option and is being used as a first option.

Defense had a big game but is because they are good or the fact the the jets are that bad offensively? Smith was throwing some awful passes.

Thank god the pats were playing the jets because if they were playing 98% of the other teams in the NFL they would have lost badly.

Thank god the pats were playing the jets because if they were playing 98% of the other teams in the NFL they would have lost badly.

What's the 3/5 of another team you think wouldn't have beaten the Pats badly?

Re: Doing Whats Best for the Team

This is why you never, ever see me in game threads.

What's the 3/5 of another team you think wouldn't have beaten the Pats badly?

Jags and Raiders. Pats are lucky they played the Bills and Jets first and did not start with the Falcons/Bengals/Saints as their first three games.

It was a late hit but I do not believe Mangold's original intent was to go after Talib's knees or ankles. His original trajectory appears to show him aiming for the waist or even the chest area if Talib had kept running and Talib made a nice spin move to avoid the hit.

ku-xlarge.gif

I agree here. As much as I don't like Mangold he was looking to make the tackle. The play wasn't over when he started his motion and Talib already showed once on the play that he might not be going out of bounds.

I would hate to see a player as important as Talib hurt. But, in the end he needs to go down or out of bounds right away. His jumping and twisting away from the tackle could have caused an inujury to himself regardless of where he was on the field.

I was not a big fan when the Jets benefitted from a late hit at the end of their game in the first week and I am not a big fan of this call (even though it was in our favor). I think it could actually put players in a more dangerous situation as they try to jump out at the last second after fighting for yardage near the side line.

the play was over.......the GAME was over......mangold had an opportunity to go for the knees and gain nothing except hopefully to hurt the opponent.....was he trying to strip the ball? nope.....

don't blame it mangolds actions on talib.......that's just stupid

I agree here. As much as I don't like Mangold he was looking to make the tackle. The play wasn't over when he started his motion and Talib already showed once on the play that he might not be going out of bounds.

I would hate to see a player as important as Talib hurt. But, in the end he needs to go down or out of bounds right away. His jumping and twisting away from the tackle could have caused an inujury to himself regardless of where he was on the field.

I was not a big fan when the Jets benefitted from a late hit at the end of their game in the first week and I am not a big fan of this call (even though it was in our favor). I think it could actually put players in a more dangerous situation as they try to jump out at the last second after fighting for yardage near the side line.

A win is a win, we are 2-0 despite missing a number of our top weapons and Brady still getting in sync with his new recievers. We are fortunate to have had such an easy first couple of weeks and like all great teams we've taken advantage of it. We may get away with this offensive personnel next week, but Gronk and/or DA need to be back in 2 weeks for Atlanta or we're really in big trouble then.

Credit to the defense but I'm still not sold on them finally taking the next step or just benefitting from playing some bad QB's. Saw alot of opportunities for the Jets and Bills they just did not convert on. And still haven't seen how we hold up when Dennard and/or Talib has to sit. Until then though I'll gladly take the results and hope for the best.

Allen had a much better game this week after an iffy start in my book. Until the last 2 punts, he was terrific then maybe his leg just wore out on the last 2. Dunno wtf Cole was thinking on the one where the Jets forgot to get a returner back (happened twice or thrice LOL). Made me miss Z alot less this week.

Like I said in the other thread, the whole sitting on the ball and settling for a 35+ yard FG at the end of halves/games has GOT to end. It is a horrible conservative scared strategy. Play to win, not to not lose. Hopefully another failure knocks some sense into BB about it finally.

I hope TB keeps his patience, we all knew and I'm sure he knew it wouldn't be pretty early on. But I did see our guys getting open out there they just need to get on the same page.

the play was over.......the GAME was over......mangold had an opportunity to go for the knees and gain nothing except hopefully to hurt the opponent.....was he trying to strip the ball? nope.....

don't blame it mangolds actions on talib.......that's just stupid

The video is right there and you are ignoring it. IcyPatriot explains it very well.

The game was over when the interception was made. I agree. Both players need to realize that

I said earlier that I am happy that the defense won a game for the Patriots. Want to know the last time the Patriots won a game scoring fewer than 20 points? December 20, 2009, when they beat the Bills 17-10. They were 0-7 in their last seven games scoring fewer than 20 points.

I very much want this team to develop a shut-down defense. The first two games they've held their opponents to 24 points (7 of the Bills' points came on a fumble return for a TD), 604 yds (302 avg), 30 first downs, and they've forced six turnovers.

That's pretty sweet. However, they've played two bad offensive teams with rookie quarterbacks. So let's see if they can put up a good defensive performance against someone like Atlanta before we get too excited.

Still, overall, I'm happy with how the defense has played.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back