PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Neutral Zone Infraction

Status
Not open for further replies.

SB39

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Sure would be nice if the referees ever actually called this correctly. Manning yells "Omaha" all game long which means "snap the ball on my next call." However, he will change it up once in a whilte and yell "Omaha.... HUT" and not a single Bronco moves. This often gets opponents to jump.

However, here's the rub. If the defense jumps into the neutral zone, the offensive lineman is not suppose to deliberately react to draw the penalty. But that's what the Broncos do; i.e. that's Denver's strategy.

Anyways, I hope the Pats don't fall for it. Coach 'em up, Bill..!!

Sure would be nice if the referees ever actually called this correctly. Manning yells "Omaha" all game long which means "snap the ball on my next call." However, he will change it up once in a whilte and yell "Omaha.... HUT" and not a single Bronco moves. This often gets opponents to jump.

However, here's the rub. If the defense jumps into the neutral zone, the offensive lineman is not suppose to deliberately react to draw the penalty. But that's what the Broncos do; i.e. that's Denver's strategy.

once upon a time if the defensive play got back befoe the snap it wasn't an infraction. i don't know when the rule changed, but i liked it better before. BB will have them prepared for omaha i'm sure

That and GTFB!!!

Section 19
Neutral Zone, Start of Neutral Zone, and Encroaching
NEUTRAL ZONE
The Neutral Zone is the space between the forward and backward points of the ball (planes). It starts when the ball is ready for play. (See neutral zone infraction, 7-4-4)
ENCROACHING
A player is Encroaching(7-4-3) on the neutral zone when any part of his body is in it and contact occurs prior to the snap. The official must blow his whistle immediately

Rule 7, Section 3, Article 3: Encroachment.
It is Encroachment if a defensive player enters the neutral zone and contacts an offensive player or the ball prior to the snap, or if he interferes with the ball during the snap. The play is dead immediately. Penalty: For Encroachment: Loss of five yards from the line of scrimmage. The foul is enforced prior to thesnap.

Rule 7, Section 3, Article 4
Neutral Zone Infraction:
It is a Neutral Zone Infraction when:
(a) a defender moves beyond the neutral zone prior to the snap and is parallel to or beyond an offensive lineman, with an unabated path to the quarterback or kicker, even though no contact is made by a blocker; officials are to blow theirwhistles immediately; or
(b) a defender enters the neutral zone prior to the snap, causing the offensive player(s) in close proximity (including a quarterback who is under center) to react (move) immediately to protect himself (themselves) against
impending contact; officials are to blow their whistles immediately. If there is no immediate reaction by the offensive player(s) in close proximity, and the defensive player returns to a legal position prior to the snap without contacting an opponent, there is no foul. .

So it seems that if the defender is in the neutral zone , causing an OL to move (7, 3, a), it's a penalty. The rule stipulates 'to protect themselves', but it's an easy argument for an OL to say that the DL movement caused them to react to the movement to 'protect' themselves, I'm sure.

Our guys will have to be on their game this weekend, and watch out for this. It killed the Chargers.

If someone jumps (like a polamalu style jump over the o-line) and hit manning. Would that just be offsides or could that be a personal foul?

Just offsides. Happened in the CAR SF game. Not even an auto first down. So why not do it everytime on third or fourth down on the goal line. Eventually you may jump it right

Just offsides. Happened in the CAR SF game. Not even an auto first down. So why not do it everytime on third or fourth down on the goal line. Eventually you may jump it right

This was gonna be my next question.

I think that BB has a strategy in which he would ask the whole line to jump and shift to draw a false start penalty but I wouldn't mind seeing a few hits on manning. lol.

"omaha, omaha" POW!!!!!

Keep launching defenders over that line and eventually the QB will have to leave the game, its a funny image.

If the offensive line doesn't move at all and they're not touched by the defender, as long as he gets back to his side of the LOS it's not a penalty. Offensive lines have just been taught to move when a defender gets into the neutral zone to get the free five yards.

It happens throughout the league, its not just the Broncos. Mankins has done it a few times this year himself.

I logged that game yesterday and there were five neutral zone penalties on San Diego. By comparison, the Patriots only had two neutral zone infractions and one offside call all season.

His cadence is exhausting. Had to turn the volume down. Can't imagine having to listen to it from a few yards away. :rolleyes:

Seems to me, if one of the DL isnt gonna rush that particular play, ie drop into coverage, they could plan to flinch on omaha 1, perfectly legal like, not go into the neutral zone, and get the OL to jump.

Plus I'm sure if DEN noticed SD guessing on the snap in recent film or last time they played, they probably installed it this week as a counter measure. They are a young aggressive D after all. Good coaching there IMO. Age and deception over youth and all...

once upon a time if the defensive play got back befoe the snap it wasn't an infraction. i don't know when the rule changed, but i liked it better before. BB will have them prepared for omaha i'm sure
That's still the rule, unless the offensive line makes a move. If the defense being in the neutral zone causes a false start, it is a penalty against the defense. My beef is with the fact that the false start is supposed to be an accidental reaction to a defensive player's movement, not a deliberate strategy and deliberate reaction.

So it seems that if the defender is in the neutral zone , causing an OL to move (7, 3, a), it's a penalty. The rule stipulates 'to protect themselves', but it's an easy argument for an OL to say that the DL movement caused them to react to the movement to 'protect' themselves, I'm sure.

Our guys will have to be on their game this weekend, and watch out for this. It killed the Chargers.
Ya I'm glad it happened so much because it did bring attention to it.

And I tell ya this, I sure wouldn't be surprised if Bill mentions to the refs what I said about how the offensive reaction is supposed to be immediate.

In the Carolina game, the defensive player barely grazed Newton. Sure, Newton acted like he had just been hit by a freight train but the ref wasn't buying it.

Manning only runs this trick from shotgun formation. I believe all 5 of the infractions were from the gun. So ya, if the Pats hit him, I gotta think that's (rightfully) a personal foul.

It happens throughout the league, its not just the Broncos. Mankins has done it a few times this year himself.
True, but the Patriots have been called for a false start a couple times this year when the defender was in the neutral zone - which is the proper call. And I know I've seen other instances where they correctly called the offense.

Plus I'm sure if DEN noticed SD guessing on the snap in recent film or last time they played, they probably installed it this week as a counter measure.
No they have been doing it all year. It just worked extremely well yesterday against an over-pumped (and over-matched) SD defense.

No they have been doing it all year. It just worked extremely well yesterday against an over-pumped (and over-matched) SD defense.

I guess I was giving SD too much credit there then... :)

This was gonna be my next question.

I think that BB has a strategy in which he would ask the whole line to jump and shift to draw a false start penalty but I wouldn't mind seeing a few hits on manning. lol.

"omaha, omaha" POW!!!!!

Ninkovich and chandler should yell Nebraska back!!! I am telling you it would be hilarious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST