PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The IR With Right Of Return

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Presuming no changes, would you consider using the designation on Chris Jones? on Stork?

For me it would have to be someone you considered key to winning a championship, something like a top 15 player. So neither of these guys would make it.

Nope, neither is important enough, if they are going to use the designation it should be for a major player. I really think the designation needs to be expanded to 4-5 players but i would save it for Gronk or Collins or Solder etc.......

I disagree.

With regard to a top player, I think that they would carried on the roster in any case. So, for me, I wouldn't use it on a top player.

I fully agree with the other comments.

The only time I'd consider using it on someone mediocre would be if it were the end of the period and it would be going to waste.

I didn't like Belichick's selection with the TE Schiancoe the first year it came out. I thought that was a waste.

I disagree.

With regard to a top player, I think that they would carried on the roster in any case. So, for me, I wouldn't use it on a top player.

I'd at least wait for the first 5-6 weeks to see what my choices were.

In Belichick's case, you never know---he may agree with you.

Some good points. Beyond this, I think the NFL is hurting the game with its IR rules. Fans want to see the highest level of competition. If a player is healthy enough to play, he should be able to play.

I'd at least wait for the first 5-6 weeks to see what my choices were.

In Belichick's case, you never know---he may agree with you.

There are two issues: how long to wait and the value of the player.

I don't expect Belichick to wait 5-6 weeks to use the designation. If it isn't needed for a major player, I could see waiting until after Game 1 or 2. At that point, the transaction frenzy would be over, and we would have a better idea of what the team looked like. In this scenario, I would carry Chris Jones on the 53, and put him on the IR list after Game 1 or even Game 2. Yes, we could always wait. That would depend on the need to use the roster spot for someone else.

With regard to quality of player, we have no idea what Belichick thinks on this issue. He has used it on one of each.

The IR-DtR should be used as soon as you have a player out for an extended time who you want to keep when you need the roster spot for someone else.

There's no benefit to saving it. You can always just keep a key player on the roster if he's hurt, he just costs a roster spot.

If Siliga or Jones will be out half the year and we need the spot, use it. If, say, Dobson re-injures himself and is also out then we just keep him and lose the roster spot. There's this weird perception that it has to be saved - if you save it for a top 15 player you may waste it by never using it.

The IR-DtR should be used as soon as you have a player out for an extended time who you want to keep when you need the roster spot for someone else.

There's no benefit to saving it. You can always just keep a key player on the roster if he's hurt, he just costs a roster spot.

If Siliga or Jones will be out half the year and we need the spot, use it. If, say, Dobson re-injures himself and is also out then we just keep him and lose the roster spot. There's this weird perception that it has to be saved - if you save it for a top 15 player you may waste it by never using it.

Keeping a roster spot is not free. If you keep a roster spot for a key player who cannot play and needs to be replaced, you need to cut another player. Depending on the situation, IR-Dtr may be the better move. The probability if very high of having am more important player injured and missing significant time. We shall see, but I would be more than mildly surprised to see BB use the designation on either of these guys.

With regard to quality of player, we have no idea what Belichick thinks on this issue. He has used it on one of each.

That's why it's a bit difficult to try and predict how it may be used. It's also debatable that Belichick himself may have been trying different methods, since it was a brand new rule.

I think that there's a lot of sense to what you and BelichickFan say just as well, so I think that people are going to see it differently, depending on personal opinion---coaches included.

If it were up to me--I would wait for several games (4-5) to see what my options were, and how to manage the injury situation with more significant players.

Keeping a roster spot is not free. If you keep a roster spot for a key player who cannot play and needs to be replaced, you need to cut another player.
Which is why I said "as soon as you have a player out for an extended time who you want to keep when you need the roster spot for someone else".

OTOH you want to save it for a Top 15 player fully realizing you may never use it. Craziness.

Again, as soon as you have this scenario :

- Player out an extended time
- Don't want to cut (or IR) the player
- Need the roster spot.

Then you use it. End of story.

Presuming no changes, would you consider using the designation on Chris Jones? on Stork?
I will go with neither. If they are not ready for the start of the season and it looks like they will be longer than 4 games into the season to play I would put them on season ending IR. Neither of them are the type of player at this point that I would foresee playing pivotal roles on the team. I would prefer to save that IR for a playmaker like last season with Vereen.

Some good points. Beyond this, I think the NFL is hurting the game with its IR rules. Fans want to see the highest level of competition. If a player is healthy enough to play, he should be able to play.

I agree completely, the IR rules have never made sense, this is one area where baseball has it right.

I will go with neither. If they are not ready for the start of the season and it looks like they will be longer than 4 games into the season to play I would put them on season ending IR. Neither of them are the type of player at this point that I would foresee playing pivotal roles on the team. I would prefer to save that IR for a playmaker like last season with Vereen.
So you would declare, say, Siliga out for the year just in case someone like Vereen happens to get hurt when you could keep Vereen on the roster and have them both available for the playoffs ?

So you would declare, say, Siliga out for the year just in case someone like Vereen happens to get hurt when you could keep Vereen on the roster and have them both available for the playoffs ?
Well Siliga was not part of the question. I consider him to more valuable because he is the only/primary backup to Wilfork as a NT. I would not use the exception on a bottom of the roster player I saw that in 2012 with Shiancoe.

Well Siliga was not part of the question. I consider him to more valuable because he is the only/primary backup to Wilfork as a NT. I would not use the exception on a bottom of the roster player I saw that in 2012 with Shiancoe.
As long as it's someone you don't care if he returns that's fine. Jones I would want for the playoffs. Stork I would be find IRing and revisiting again next year.

As long as it's someone you don't care if he returns that's fine. Jones I would want for the playoffs. Stork I would be find IRing and revisiting again next year.
I like Chris Jones but I think that his role is going to be significant reduced with Kelly and Easley. I also am a fan of Worthy I think he could be an exceptional player with the right coaching.

I think it all depends on the situation and how close the cutdown to 53 is. If the spot is really needed use it. If there's some flexibility in not using it yet then save it.

I think it's two weeks too soon to make that decision, all depends on Stork/Jones/Siligna's availability

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News