PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Following teams should be selling the farm for Jimmy

Status
Not open for further replies.
there is so much delusion in this thread

like crazy. i'll actually be surprised if anyone offers a 1 and it sure as hell won't be top 3

1.5 quarters isnt enough. it was a rough break for him to get knocked out so quick

like crazy. i'll actually be surprised if anyone offers a 1 and it sure as hell won't be top 3

1.5 quarters isnt enough. it was a rough break for him to get knocked out so quick

Two things here:

(1) Anyone here who's deluded shares their delusion with the analysts, pretty much all of whom think the price for Garoppolo should/will be at least a first.

(2) You're assuming 31 rational actors. Sometimes they're smart enough to get the hint (see: Cassel, Matt, who is a special case that doesn't apply next year, and may not even if the Pats keep and franchise JG in 2018), but not nearly always.

Romo and JAG will make the market for QBs exciting for a lot of teams in 2017.

As for where they might trade him if they choose to i have no idea but i don't look to do it if I don't find enough value there.

Per Walter Football's mock draft, Deshone Kizer, Deshaun Watson, and Brad Kaaya are predicted to be top five picks. Who would you rather have, Garroppolo or one of those three? I'd have a lot more confidence in Garroppolo. It's not like he was a nobody coming out of college, he was a second round pick. You only have 5 quarters of film on him plus pre season games, but those three won't have any NFL experience to watch and first round picks bust all the time. I'd be shocked if we can't get a first rounder for him and probably more.

Two things here:

(1) Anyone here who's deluded shares their delusion with the analysts, pretty much all of whom think the price for Garoppolo should/will be at least a first.

(2) You're assuming 31 rational actors. Sometimes they're smart enough to get the hint (see: Cassel, Matt, who is a special case that doesn't apply next year, and may not even if the Pats keep and franchise JG in 2018), but not nearly always.
banking on other teams being irrational isnt a strategy, just because some repeats an opinion doesnt make it true.

Per Walter Football's mock draft, Deshone Kizer, Deshaun Watson, and Brad Kaaya are predicted to be top five picks. Who would you rather have, Garroppolo or one of those three? I'd have a lot more confidence in Garroppolo. It's not like he was a nobody coming out of college, he was a second round pick. You only have 5 quarters of film on him plus pre season games, but those three won't have any NFL experience to watch and first round picks bust all the time. I'd be shocked if we can't get a first rounder for him and probably more.
a mock draft isnt based in reality, especially not in october and I dont think anyone is going to say that they will give up a top five pick after 5 quarters in the NFL

Did any of you guys hear that mongoloid Andy hart a few weeks ago filling in for Kirk and Callahan? Said "now I'd be surprised if they got the 2nd rounder back they put in for him". Lol guy thinks his value dropped significantly because he didn't play the buffalo game. I can't imagine a guy who covers professional football for a living who is less aware of the current landscape of the league he covers.

At some point the Patriots need to invest into a new QB. I'd say Brady has 2-3 good years left.
how much more could they invest in a QB than they already have?

Trade anything for him
Bears - Cutler will be gone
Niners - the cupboard is bear
Jags - Bortles stinks
Arizona - Palmer is done, they have the defense and need a QB

Should trade for him, but probably won't
Browns - Kessler has potential and they will have the #1 pick
Dolphins - Tannenhill is a dumb QB
Bills - Tyrod is average at best
Giants - Eli is old and looks bad

Wildcards
Chiefs - Reid wants to win, A Smith is solid, but he knows that if he wants to win a SB he needs to upgrade
Chargers - If they falter in the second half, why not trade Rivers rebuild with a young QB (you have the o-line and some weapons on offense)
its pretty delusional to think that teams have seen enough to think Jimmy is better than Eli, Alex Smith or even Tyrod Taylor

They could always franchise him but at 20 million that will be a difficult move to pull off.

In that case, you would tag Jimmy for 2018 and trade him to another team at that point, like they did with Matt Cassel. You won't be able to fetch as much as you would, if you were to trade him this upcoming offseason - but at the very least, you can still break-even...maybe even get a 1st rounder.

The Bears are the perfect match:

-Jimmy G played HS and college football in Illinois
-Based off twitter, the fans want him
-He wouldn't be short on weapons if Jeffery re-signs (Jeffery, White, Meredith, Miller, Howard)
-The Bears look like they will finish with a top 3-5 pick
-http://sportsmockery.com/2016/09/ryan-pace-obsessed-finding-right-qb-bears/2/

Does that sound like a GM that wants to deal with/gamble on a rookie QB?

We'll have the leverage. You want Jimmy G? Give us your top 3 pick to select the best RB prospect in a decade or our best pass rusher since Tippett. Otherwise no deal.

The way the Bears are heading this season, this is the kinda scenario that makes too much sense.

I'm not convinced Brady is going to play beyond another 4 years (at his current level)...but that's still long enough to make another Super Bowl run...perhaps even 2!

Garoppolo is by far, the best quarterback we've drafted since taking Brady in 2001. It won't be easy finding an heir apparent, but fleecing two 1st round draft picks from a team desperate for a QB, might mean that Brady ends his career with a BANG (and retire as a Patriot) Which is what the homers seem to wany anyways :p

Did any of you guys hear that mongoloid Andy hart a few weeks ago filling in for Kirk and Callahan? Said "now I'd be surprised if they got the 2nd rounder back they put in for him". Lol guy thinks his value dropped significantly because he didn't play the buffalo game. I can't imagine a guy who covers professional football for a living who is less aware of the current landscape of the league he covers.

I've seen that sentiment before, but that implies that Garoppolo chose not to play.

a mock draft isnt based in reality, especially not in october and I dont think anyone is going to say that they will give up a top five pick after 5 quarters in the NFL

You don't understand the point. There will be quarterbacks taken early in the first round. You won't have any NFL quarters or preseason play to evaluate them from. How much confidence could a team have in them versus Garroppolo especially when so many early first round quarterbacks bust? With Garroppolo, you have a former second round pick, a guy who has spent three years learning behind Brady as the Patriots number one backup, and guy you have actually seen play in the NFL and play well while running a complicated offense. In my mind, that's a better gamble than whatever quarterbacks end up being drafted in the first round.

Maybe Garoppolo plays week 17 if the 1 seed is locked up.

Hopefully he pulls a Matt Flynn and throws for 6 TDs. Jimmy already carved up the Dolhins in week 2.

Hello, 1st round pick. :cool:

Jimmy g becomes especially attractive to what ever team mcdaniels goes to.

You don't understand the point. There will be quarterbacks taken early in the first round. You won't have any NFL quarters or preseason play to evaluate them from. How much confidence could a team have in them versus Garroppolo especially when so many early first round quarterbacks bust? With Garroppolo, you have a former second round pick, a guy who has spent three years learning behind Brady as the Patriots number one backup, and guy you have actually seen play in the NFL and play well while running a complicated offense. In my mind, that's a better gamble than whatever quarterbacks end up being drafted in the first round.
have we really seen an NFL make this decision or anything like it? Because while you seem to think teams will be all for it I just dont think they will have the kind of interest you expect, plus the fact that teams tend to value team control of a player

Then you keep him. They asked Micheal Lombardi WEEI about how Belichick would view his value and he said the Bradford trade would be Belichick's baseline, Which means a first plus or he stays in NE.

Couple of weeks heard a pundit listing the top 5 quarterbacks in the NFL under 25 years old, Jimmy came in at #4...

Watched Notre Dame and Miami yesterday and not all that impressed with the "NFL skills" of Kizer and Kaaya... they might be good college QB's, but do not see a very high skill level for the NFL..

Then you keep him. They asked Micheal Lombardi WEEI about how Belichick would view his value and he said the Bradford trade would be Belichick's baseline, Which means a first plus or he stays in NE.

The same Mike Lombardi who predicted that the Pats would get a boatload of picks for Cassel.

Cassel trade talk opens with high 1st-rounder

Lombardi was wrong about Cassel's value then so I have very little confidence in his ability to be now correct about Jimmy G's 2018 trade value.

I think it makes sense that BB will indeed find the crazy GM out there. Not that I am necessarily expecting a huge haul - but looking around at all the bad decisions on bad teams by bad talent evaluators, it's not a stretch to believe a good return for JG is possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST