PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Colts big FA splash

Status
Not open for further replies.
The use of never - obviously for effect, to get the point across.

Every once in a while they will, but it is rare. It will probably become even more rare after the Corey Simon situation.

Who are you on the Indystar board?

Well their QB saved them $8M by restructuring but it all went to Freeney's Franchise Tag. Bottom line, they only have a few million right now, they're . . . stuck. Too bad we let them get the one win.

This is what frosts my ***** the most..Horse face has his ring...

Money spent doesn't = superbowls won. In an ideal world Money spent = Production. In a utopia Production is > Money spent.

The latter is where the Patriots excel and that is the reason why we win/contend year in and year out!

That's the best post you've ever made, yes I'm shocked, and it is the reason why NE, Indy, Pitt, Denver and to a lesser degree SD, Tenn, and Balt have been so dominant the past decade. They have a great core of stars that they will pay for but they don't over pay to keep the marginal stars. They draft exceeding well, and they spend their money wisely.

I don't think Vinitieri made that big of a difference on the field to win you the SB. Once you factor in kickoffs SG was as good as AV. However from a physiological view I believe Indy needed AV because VanderJerk was the white Elephant in the room. The shot of Dungy saying "money" when he hit the kick against Denver talked volumes about how that changed the Indy Psyche. AV was more valuable to Indy than NE so he was a wise release here to free up money for other positions, he was a wise signing for Indy to give them the edge they needed.

I think Thomas is a wise signing even for the money he's getting. He is going to bring a dynamic to this team that has been missing since Willie left and he'll actually be able to do a few things Willie couldn't. Indy is going to sign Freeney to a similar deal, it may be for more years since he's younger but the $/year will be similar.

Dollar for Dollar I'll take Thomas over Freeney any day of the week.

Enjoy your SB, ask Pitt how tough it is to repeat.

Okay, I've been listening to Colts fans and Colts supporters tell me for years that Peyton Manning's contract will not interfere with them signing players.

Did I really say that Manning's contract will not interfere with the Colts signing free agents?? I do not think so. Anyone who has followed free agency knows that the Colts hardly ever sign free agents (Simon and Adam being the only two names that most fans can remember).

21 of the 22 SB starters for the Colts were drafted or developed (Saturday) by the Colts.

I have been saying for years that Peyton Manning's contract will not prevent the Colts from winning the Super Bowl. Which is important?? Winning a Super Bowl or signing free agents??

21 of the 22 SB starters for the Colts were drafted or developed (Saturday) by the Colts.

Are you not considering McFarland a starter?

Even 20/22 is excellent and I've agreed with 95% of your comments on the Colts.

Are you not considering McFarland a starter?

Even 20/22 is excellent and I've agreed with 95% of your comments on the Colts.

I was considered McFarland as a starter.

Jeff Saturday was not drafted by the Colts. IIRC, he was claimed by the Colts during his record year. There is someobody else on the Colts who was claimed on waivers early in his rookie year.

In 2004 the Colts did not sign any other team's team free agents.
In 2005 the Colts signed Corey Simon after the free agency period ended in July.
In 2006 the Colts signed Adam.

In 3 years that is a total of two free agents. If anyone was thinking that the Colts would go on a free-agency spree in 2007, then they have not been paying attention to their modus operandi.

The Colts will be just fine. The Pats look like they're taking a big plunge this year in the FA market. Dying to see final terms of his deal... here this morning I have seen 6 yr., 60M, but I have also seen (also here) 7.5M/yr. Maybe he just didn't have bonuses in there. Who knows.

Well, I know it's a cap inflated year. I know the math tells me spend now, next year it's worse. I was pretty sure the franchise tag on A. Samuel would happen... I was a little surprised the Adalius THomas thing seems to be happening. Was ready in theory but to watch it really unfolding is a little bit of Patsfans vertigo for me.

I dunno, I kinda liked being the crusty Walter Mathau team of the league rather than just another Donald Trump. Eh, there's still room for clever frugality as always. But <sniff> I miss the old days of explaining why NOT to go free agent crazy.

(By the way... anybody on our roster that's NOT gonna want a piece of that bigger pie? Don't get too attached.)

(On the bright side, we can now keep Colvin 'til he's dead. Presto, chango, his 7.5M hit next year is a bargain!)

PFnV

The Colts never sign free agents and never will. The Colts build through the draft and then keep their players once developed. This is what Super Bowl champion teams do.

Congratulations, like Dan Snyder you have no Lombardi trophy but have turned into proud March NFL champions. :rocker:

What does the march championship ring look like?

The Colts never SIGN Free Agents? What was Dan Klecko? A free agent signing. What was Adam Vinatieri? A free agent signing. Montae Reagor was a free agent signing. Corey Simon? Yep. Another free agent signing.

That the Colts just build through the draft is BS.

Last edited:
Thomas is a quality, elite player signing. This is not Dan Snyder throwing huge dollars at a 35 year old veteran past his prime.

Thomas is at the peak of his career. A Dan Snyder would have given Branch a huge deal, wait he did with Randle El, and not been able to sign a Thomas.

Colts fans, Jets fans, etc. are just spewing this nonsense because they know we are going to be favourites again. With the free agent signings and our bounty of draft picks, we are going to be set going forward, not just next year but the next 5 years.

We have a great window of opportunity with this team and we need to take advantage.

Personal favourite for the draft- Anthony Gonzalez from The Ohio Staet University, this guy was born to be a Pat and play with Tommy.

That's the best post you've ever made, yes I'm shocked, and it is the reason why NE, Indy, Pitt, Denver and to a lesser degree SD, Tenn, and Balt have been so dominant the past decade. They have a great core of stars that they will pay for but they don't over pay to keep the marginal stars. They draft exceeding well, and they spend their money wisely.

That wasn't his post he copied and pasted my sig and tried to use against me.

And while McFarland wasn't an FA he cost them a 2nd round pick so that's almost worse than an FA, although it did help win them a SB so it was worth it.

In 2004 the Colts did not sign any other team's team free agents.
In 2005 the Colts signed Corey Simon after the free agency period ended in July.
In 2006 the Colts signed Adam.

In 3 years that is a total of two free agents. If anyone was thinking that the Colts would go on a free-agency spree in 2007, then they have not been paying attention to their modus operandi.

Dan Klecko? Dexter Reid? Rocky Boiman? Bo Schobel? Brandon Stokely?

The Colts DO sign free agents. But they tend to be role players. It is rare that they sign a Corey Simon or a big name.

No, I didn't figure the Colts to go on a free agency spree in 2007 because they have such little cap space. As they have had each of the past few years.

The Colts draft well and pay big to retain their offensive players.

They draft some key defenders then patch with whatever JAGS they can. Let's face it, their system is as valid as ours since they're competitive every year.

This year more so.

To gloat because we're players in free agency and all they did was win a Super Bowl is kind of silly, isn't it?:rolleyes:

I like our moves, but we're only this year's Redskins until we prove it on the field.

Dan Klecko? Dexter Reid? Rocky Boiman? Bo Schobel? Brandon Stokely?

The Colts DO sign free agents. But they tend to be role players. It is rare that they sign a Corey Simon or a big name.

No, I didn't figure the Colts to go on a free agency spree in 2007 because they have such little cap space. As they have had each of the past few years.

Those first 4 guys they got for 75 cents, an Ozzie Smith rookie card and a half eaten box of Cracker Jacks. Stokley's first deal with the Colts was hardly a blip on the radar. The Colts target the guys on their team that they want to keep, they resign them and wait until the dust settles from free agency and pick up a cut of role players at the end.

spacecrime said:
Okay, I've been listening to Colts fans and Colts supporters tell me for years that Peyton Manning's contract will not interfere with them signing players.
Did I really say that Manning's contract will not interfere with the Colts signing free agents?? I do not think so.
Right back atcha, buddy: Did I really say that Manning's contract wouild interfere with the Colts signing free agents?? I do not think so. If you read carefully, I said signing players. The point was that manning's contract is preventing them from signing their own players, let alone free agents.

You and Yankeee/Colt are just wrong when you say they don't sign FAs. The Colts sign a lot of free agents. They took a few from the Pats: Reid, Vinatieri, Klecko. They just don't sign big Free Agents. And the reason is that they have no money because ...

Hey, they won a Superbowl and good for them.

Maybe their philosophy was to constantly hover on the brink of cap hell, forced to scramble every year, figuring that this was the best way to win a superbowl. But I doubt it. I think they won because of Manning finally coming through and not choking in the playoffs, and more importantly the Colts defense showing up in the three games it meant the most.

The Colts win last year is sort of like the patriots win in 2001. Everything came together at the right time. Maybe they were lucky, maybe we were lucky in 2001, but luck is where opportunity meets preparation (or something like that). They are the world Champions, and they deserve to be.

The future?

We did not mortgage our future to win in 2001, but I think the Colts pulled off a Ravens-type superbowl, and the collapse has already started. If you are correct, the Colts should win a couple more. If I am right, this is the only superbowl that the colts will see in the manning era.

Time will tell.

Dan Klecko? Dexter Reid?
They were claimed on waivers.

Rocky Boiman? Bo Schobel? Brandon Stokely?
They were signed as free agents in 2003 before Manning's contract.

I agree.

That wasn't his post he copied and pasted my sig and tried to use against me.

Shame on me I should have known he'd never make sense.

You and Yankeee/Colt are just wrong when you say they don't sign FAs.

I never said that they do not sign FAs.I said that they have signed very few.

The Colts sign a lot of free agents. They took a few from the Pats: Reid, Vinatieri, Klecko.

I do not consider claiming a player on waivers after rosters cuts the same as signing a free agent in the early days of free agency. I am not saying that you do. I am saying that I do not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News