PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Best Mobile Blocking Offense Ever For Belichick/Patriots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

IcyPatriot

Wall of Fame
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
This post is premature...in that we ned to see how the draft goes.

HOWEVER:

- judging by our OL who will be playing a few years together.

- 2 great TE's capable of Pass, Run and Downfield Blocking.

- A great year, 2005 for our screen pass...and it kept getting better.

- A dangerous combination of a mobile unit led by an immobile QB.
What I mean is...many running QB's would be very tempted with
this OL/TE's...but Brady will use this to his advantage and stay put.

- 2 Young blocking capable WR's from the draft could finish this off.
While I am refering to Avant...there are others who fit this scenario.

Now I am not talking about the 3 TE set LOL....I am just refering to opening up the playbook a bit to add increased downfield blocking/Picks. Picks are not legal under NFL rules but picks set up after the catch...we have a few players who may like doing that.

Anyways....I think Belichick has assembled a power/larger version of Denver's O-Line that has more tools at it's disposal....THOUGHTS?

We,ve really only lost one guy off our offense although, Givens was pretty important in it.
But than again I always thought Watson and Graham were under utilized last year.
This could be their chance to step up.
Hopefully Dillon will be fully recovered from whatever it was that was ailing him.
So, I was never really concerned with our offense. I agree that it can get better this year.
Now, our defense is a bit different.

363839 said:
We,ve really only lost one guy off our offense although, Givens was pretty important in it.
But than again I always thought Watson and Graham were under utilized last year.
This could be their chance to step up.
Hopefully Dillon will be fully recovered from whatever it was that was ailing him.
So, I was never really concerned with our offense. I agree that it can get better this year.
Now, our defense is a bit different.

Our defense is a bit different? Mcginest is the only hole to fill. Anything else??

Last edited:
skri65 said:
Our defense is a bit different? Mcginest is the only hole to fill. Anything else??
Well, yeah.
First, Willy is going to be very difficult to replace. It's just not going to be easy replacing a guy with the savvy of Willy.
Second, While some are very optomistic about his progress, Rodneys return is still a question mark. as is the corners. I mean, it seems everybody was injured. None of us really know the extent of these injuries, either.
I guess I could say the same for some of the players on O like Dillon and Koppen.
Don't get me wrong. I still feel the Pats will be competitive.

Before the start of last year I was salivating over the combo of Watson and Graham blocking in the red zone for Dillon, and opening up some other options. This combined with our WR corps, led me to think we would have scored more than we did. However, due to a variety of injuries this did not pan out. My hope is this year that injuries take a back seat to see how potent these combinations can be.

With a few more additions, and some freedom from injury, this team can be an offensive powerhouse. The stabilization, youth and experience of our offensive line can only lead to good things.

You forget the late 70's Patriots that had an OL featuring John Hannah, Leon Gray, Bill Lenkaitis, Pete Brock, Sam Adams and Shelby Jordan.

They had TE like Russ Francis and Don Hasselbeck (and, not to be outdone by Vrabel, LB Steve Zabel would be used as a TE at times). They had a sturdy FB in Don Calhoun and a big, athletic FB/RB in Sam Cunningham.

That was one of the greatest power offenses ever, IMO, not just the Pats. All the OL and TE/FB were athletic and mobile. They put up huge rushing numbers (I believe they still hold the single-season team rushing mark).

If those Patriot teams had decent managment and kept Chuck Fairbanks around they had a chance to be great.

NE39 said:
You forget the late 70's Patriots that had an OL featuring John Hannah, Leon Gray, Bill Lenkaitis, Pete Brock, Sam Adams and Shelby Jordan.

They had TE like Russ Francis and Don Hasselbeck (and, not to be outdone by Vrabel, LB Steve Zabel would be used as a TE at times). They had a sturdy FB in Don Calhoun and a big, athletic FB/RB in Sam Cunningham.

That was one of the greatest power offenses ever, IMO, not just the Pats. All the OL and TE/FB were athletic and mobile. They put up huge rushing numbers (I believe they still hold the single-season team rushing mark).

If those Patriot teams had decent managment and kept Chuck Fairbanks around they had a chance to be great.

I posted a comment that I thouhgt this current line, Ligth, Mankins, Koppen, Neal gorin with the possible addition of Britt at ORT would outrank that '70s line.

It was great in its day but don't forget that the biggest guy was a Hawg Hannah at 265#. Today most of the line would be too small to get onto reserve posiitons. The rules were different then; they really had to be able to block and not use the controlled hold that is legal today, but still I think they'd be outmanned by the standars of today's 300# Defensive lines...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News