PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 2017 Mock Draft Thread

Up early and can't sleep, so I'm going to give one of these a shot.

Just because, as a Patriots fan, we never get to really dream (and scout) about potentially having a lower half (top 15) draft pick, along with multiple seconds (or 3rd's.) Im going to go with a mock where we propose a trade for Jimmy.
I would love nothing more then getting a top 4 pick and using it to draft Johathan Allen, but I'm going to use a proposed cleaved trade because in all honesty, with them having the number 1 pick, and getting Myles Garett, and also having two second round picks, (and also multiple later round picks, this year and next) it puts them in a great position to turn the team around for years to come despite giving up a 1st and 2nd. Do I think it happens, I'm not holding my breath, but just day dreaming since we rarely get to do that as fans of this team.

With the 12th pick Rd.1 (from Browns) : Derek Barnett, DE, Tennessee

I doubt he falls to 12th, and I'm not sure if there's another player in this range id find worthy of the pick (besides Ruben Foster) so if he's not there, a trade down to later in the 1st and another 2nd would be a great option.

With the 32nd pick Rd.1 (our pick) : Jared Davis LB Florida

Like I mentioned I love Ruben Foster (LB Alabama) , and I also really like Zach Cunningham, (LB, Vanderbilt) but I also really like Jared Davis and think he would be great on this team. What ever he currently lack, I think Bill could make up for in a year or two with his stellar LB coaching. Having him for 5 years makes it worth the pick.

With the 52 pick Rd.2 (from Browns) : Jourdan Lewis, CB, Michigan

Im am absolutely in love with Lewis. He is my current binkey. I think come draft time, this pick would put him right in line with where he is going to be drafted. I have never seen a player in college besides Revis who plays such sticky coverage. He does it without much grabbing either. Losing Ryan in FA could be covered up with Rowe being on the roster, and I think lewis could instantly become a great slot corner, giving him the time to gain some weight over the year, and thus giving Cyrus Jones time to get ready for a departure of Rowe the falling year.

With the 64th pick Rd.2 : Im having a hard time slotting in just which player id take here. However Im hoping a good DT falls to this point, and Id really like a better pass rushing DT. So...
Carlos Watkins, DT, Clemson

Not completely sold on the pick, but it makes sense. Adding Barnett and Watkins, along with the current talent we have would be amazing to watch.

Ps. If Budda Baker somehow fell this far, Id pull the trigger in a heartbeat. I even like him with the 52nd pick I mocked, but I think CB need outweighs Safety at the moment, and i just love lewis that much.

With the 96th pick Rd.3 : Eddie Jackson, S Alabama

I think Jackson is a tremendous player at safety. He would be a great steal here and with the added picks we received earlier, I'm willing to take chances with some of these later picks. If he falls this far, Id pull the trigger real quick.He's to versatile of a player, and comes from Alabama. Whats not to like? Also a good replacement for Duron Harmon.

With the Rd.3 Comp (From Cleaved for the Collins trade) : Jake Butt, TE Michigan

Weather we resign Bennett or not, I think we need to take a tight end in this draft. Butt is arguably the top TE in this class, but the poor guy tore his ACL in the bowl game (so late in the season, so he will probably miss most of next season.) That along with the deep TE class, this could push him into this draft territory. Giving him a year to heal, and letting him sit behind Gronk and Bennett (hopefully) could be a great way to start his career, along with having solid depth for years to come.

Rd.4 pick (from Seattle) : Joe Mixon, RB Arkansas

I know, I know. Mixon comes with a lot of baggage, and whichever team that decides (if any) to take a shot on him will be certain to come under fire. I also know Kraft and Co don't like players with domestic abuse issues in their past.
With that being said. Mixon is probably my favorite Offensive player in this draft, at least from a standpoint considering need, and draft capital required to acquire. Mixon is such a talent. He does EVERYTHING on a high level, and is just as good of a receiver as he is a RB. He reminds me of Leveon Bell in so many ways, and has the size to last in this league. He's also only had one fumble in his career. Taking a chance on this guy at this point in the draft, especially after having all the picks leading up to this, just makes to much sense to me if he checks out pre draft. With the rest of talent we have on the Offensive side of the ball, this guy would just be pure icing one the cake.

I haven't done much research on the later players yet, but this is my first mock. Fantasy? Reality? Who knows. However, if we did come out of this draft with these player WATCH the **** OUT. We would be loaded for years. Brady would be in a great potation to end his career for another 4 years, and even another decent QB could do good things with this roster if something were to happen to him.

Last edited:
I'm not really sire what the pats view as their biggest needs, but I really like the idea of going after a pass rusher eary

I'm not really sire what the pats view as their biggest needs, but I really like the idea of going after a pass rusher eary

A team can never have enough pass rushers but I think it likely that Sheard is either re-signed or we sign a FA pass rusher. Unless Harmon is re-signed (doubtful) then I think safety is the position with the biggest need. The three safety package has been successful for us.

Not disagreeing with you, I'm absolutely fine with a pass rusher in the first.

We've been through this enough to know the Patriots will ...

1)Look at their guys first and who they want to keep.

2) See what's out there in FA. There's actually some nice additions out there that could really help us.

3) Look at the team and decide where they can improve

4) Draft

5) Look at all the pieces. Put the puzzle together and move forward.

A team can never have enough pass rushers but I think it likely that Sheard is either re-signed or we sign a FA pass rusher. Unless Harmon is re-signed (doubtful) then I think safety is the position with the biggest need. The three safety package has been successful for us.

Not disagreeing with you, I'm absolutely fine with a pass rusher in the first.
I agree that Safety could also be where they look but I partly wonder what contributions they expect from Jordan Richards next year, will he play in Harmons role and they draft a depth guy or are they going to be looking for a replacement.

I agree that Safety could also be where they look but I partly wonder what contributions they expect from Jordan Richards next year, will he play in Harmons role and they draft a depth guy or are they going to be looking for a replacement.

I'm not sure Richards has the range to play in Harmon's role. I've always pegged him as a Chung backup.

Richard's has shown almost 0 besides s/t's. Just an awful pick so far.

Only hope he has is as close to ball as possible. I want him nowhere in deep coverage.

Up early and can't sleep, so I'm going to give one of these a shot.

Just because, as a Patriots fan, we never get to really dream (and scout) about potentially having a lower half (top 15) draft pick, along with multiple seconds (or 3rd's.) Im going to go with a mock where we propose a trade for Jimmy.
I would love nothing more then getting a top 4 pick and using it to draft Johathan Allen, but I'm going to use a proposed cleaved trade because in all honesty, with them having the number 1 pick, and getting Myles Garett, and also having two second round picks, (and also multiple later round picks, this year and next) it puts them in a great position to turn the team around for years to come despite giving up a 1st and 2nd. Do I think it happens, I'm not holding my breath, but just day dreaming since we rarely get to do that as fans of this team.

With the 12th pick Rd.1 (from Browns) : Derek Barnett, DE, Tennessee

I doubt he falls to 12th, and I'm not sure if there's another player in this range id find worthy of the pick (besides Ruben Foster) so if he's not there, a trade down to later in the 1st and another 2nd would be a great option.

With the 32nd pick Rd.1 (our pick) : Jared Davis LB Florida

Like I mentioned I love Ruben Foster (LB Alabama) , and I also really like Zach Cunningham, (LB, Vanderbilt) but I also really like Jared Davis and think he would be great on this team. What ever he currently lack, I think Bill could make up for in a year or two with his stellar LB coaching. Having him for 5 years makes it worth the pick.

With the 52 pick Rd.2 (from Browns) : Jourdan Lewis, CB, Michigan

Im am absolutely in love with Lewis. He is my current binkey. I think come draft time, this pick would put him right in line with where he is going to be drafted. I have never seen a player in college besides Revis who plays such sticky coverage. He does it without much grabbing either. Losing Ryan in FA could be covered up with Rowe being on the roster, and I think lewis could instantly become a great slot corner, giving him the time to gain some weight over the year, and thus giving Cyrus Jones time to get ready for a departure of Rowe the falling year.

With the 64th pick Rd.2 : Im having a hard time slotting in just which player id take here. However Im hoping a good DT falls to this point, and Id really like a better pass rushing DT. So...
Carlos Watkins, DT, Clemson

Not completely sold on the pick, but it makes sense. Adding Barnett and Watkins, along with the current talent we have would be amazing to watch.

Ps. If Budda Baker somehow fell this far, Id pull the trigger in a heartbeat. I even like him with the 52nd pick I mocked, but I think CB need outweighs Safety at the moment, and i just love lewis that much.

With the 96th pick Rd.3 : Eddie Jackson, S Alabama

I think Jackson is a tremendous player at safety. He would be a great steal here and with the added picks we received earlier, I'm willing to take chances with some of these later picks. If he falls this far, Id pull the trigger real quick.He's to versatile of a player, and comes from Alabama. Whats not to like? Also a good replacement for Duron Harmon.

With the Rd.3 Comp (From Cleaved for the Collins trade) : Jake Butt, TE Michigan

Weather we resign Bennett or not, I think we need to take a tight end in this draft. Butt is arguably the top TE in this class, but the poor guy tore his ACL in the bowl game (so late in the season, so he will probably miss most of next season.) That along with the deep TE class, this could push him into this draft territory. Giving him a year to heal, and letting him sit behind Gronk and Bennett (hopefully) could be a great way to start his career, along with having solid depth for years to come.

Rd.4 pick (from Seattle) : Joe Mixon, RB Arkansas

I know, I know. Mixon comes with a lot of baggage, and whichever team that decides (if any) to take a shot on him will be certain to come under fire. I also know Kraft and Co don't like players with domestic abuse issues in their past.
With that being said. Mixon is probably my favorite Offensive player in this draft, at least from a standpoint considering need, and draft capital required to acquire. Mixon is such a talent. He does EVERYTHING on a high level, and is just as good of a receiver as he is a RB. He reminds me of Leveon Bell in so many ways, and has the size to last in this league. He's also only had one fumble in his career. Taking a chance on this guy at this point in the draft, especially after having all the picks leading up to this, just makes to much sense to me if he checks out pre draft. With the rest of talent we have on the Offensive side of the ball, this guy would just be pure icing one the cake.

I haven't done much research on the later players yet, but this is my first mock. Fantasy? Reality? Who knows. However, if we did come out of this draft with these player WATCH the **** OUT. We would be loaded for years. Brady would be in a great potation to end his career for another 4 years, and even another decent QB could do good things with this roster if something were to happen to him.

This is a very nice mock. The first six picks are really solid and would love to have them.

The only change I would make is to take out mixon. I doubt he is on the pats board.

Richard's has shown almost 0 besides s/t's. Just an awful pick so far.

Only hope he has is as close to ball as possible. I want him nowhere in deep coverage.
Has he really done much of anything on special teams? He barely played this year

I was thinking through some draft options and I'm quite intrigued by a sort of 2012 redux.

This assumes we don't resign Bennett but do re-sign Ryan.

Trade Jimmy G for 34 + 2018 1st. I just want to temper my own excitement about a high first rounder this year.

Round One - Trade Clevelands 3rd plus our first for a mid 20s pick. Pick OJ Howard. Legitimate receiving threat and an excellent blocker.

Round One - Trade our 3rd plus 34 for a later 20s pick. Pick Taco Charlton. I'm sold on his ability to bend at 270lb plus.

Round Two - Forrest Lamp.

Round Four - Xavier Woods, Safety, La Tech.

Whilst I hope we still re-sign Bennett and this was just a scenario I was thinking through, I'd be very happy with this considering we'd have a 2018 first on top. My only doubt is whether Howard would fall that far.

Unless someone unexpected drops to #32, I expect bb to trade out of the first and try to get second and third round picks.

I was thinking through some draft options and I'm quite intrigued by a sort of 2012 redux.

Trade Jimmy G for 34 + 2018 1st. I just want to temper my own excitement about a high first rounder this year.

Round One - Trade Clevelands 3rd plus our first for a mid 20s pick. Pick OJ Howard. Legitimate receiving threat and an excellent blocker.

Round One - Trade our 3rd plus 34 for a later 20s pick. Pick Taco Charlton. I'm sold on his ability to bend at 270lb plus.

Whilst I hope we still re-sign Bennett and this was just a scenario I was thinking through, I'd be very happy with this considering we'd have a 2018 first on top. My only doubt is whether Howard would fall that far.

You do like your wet dreams ..

For the moment Id prefer to see mocks with the picks Pats actually own (+-). Or at least some mocks.
Of course anything you throw out is interesting ..
_

TE could turn to be the only real need going into draft even if they do sign Marty. Gronk would be the only player returning to the game after three disk surgeries so even in best case scenario he will be uncertainty. Behind them there's nothing in receiving part of the TE game. And there will not be much in FA. With trading of Derby TE prospect is a legitimate need short and long-term. Esp. since BB wants to have 2TE game. So Id like to hear more about TE prospects . as deep as possible down the chart since I feel TEs will rise and Howard will not fall to #32 and its reasonable to believe BB will not go higher for a TE.

Another position to consider is OT. Everybody's complaining about draft offer this year and with so many teams in need to improve OL - plus weak FA offer again - this guys should rise and rise. So Lamp at #64 could be wishful thinking as we speak. Some are connecting Bisnowaty to NE.

Bisnowaty lacks strength and doesn't get movement in the ground game, but sources feel that while he is limited athletically, he is football player who finds a way to make up for it and be effective. Bisnowaty will need at least one "redshirt" year in the NFL to get stronger in a strength and conditioning program. The teams that like him have compared him to the Ravens' Ricky Wagner.

Pats have time and Dante.

Last edited:
You do like your wet dreams ..

For the moment Id prefer to see mocks with the picks Pats actually own (+-). Or at least some mocks.
Of course anything you throw out is interesting ..
_

TE could turn to be the only real need going into draft even if they do sign Marty. Gronk would be the only player returning to the game after three disk surgeries so even in best case scenario he will be uncertainty. Behind them there's nothing in receiving part of the TE game. And there will not be much in FA. With trading of Derby TE prospect is a legitimate need short and long-term. Esp. since BB wants to have 2TE game. So Id like to hear more about TE prospects . as deep as possible down the chart since I feel TEs will rise and Howard will not fall to #32 and its reasonable to believe BB will not go higher for a TE.

Another position to consider is OT. Everybody's complaining about draft offer this year and with so many teams in need to improve OL - plus weak FA offer again - this guys should rise and rise. So Lamp at #64 could be wishful thinking as we speak. Some are connecting Bisnowaty to NE.

Bisnowaty lacks strength and doesn't get movement in the ground game, but sources feel that while he is limited athletically, he is football player who finds a way to make up for it and be effective. Bisnowaty will need at least one "redshirt" year in the NFL to get stronger in a strength and conditioning program. The teams that like him have compared him to the Ravens' Ricky Wagner.

Pats have time and Dante.

One thing I will say about drafting an OT is it could be a bit like RB last year, it may be better to hold off because the 2018 class could be exceptional. I said in another thread, if Connor Williams from Texas continues his ascension he could be the best LT prospect since Joe Thomas. Mitch Hyatt from Clemson looks like another elite LT. Mike McGlinchy would have likely been a 1st round pick if he declared this year and there are a bunch of other really interesting guys that could go high such as Martez Ivey, Brock Ruble and Orlando Brown. I would look to shift some draft capital to 2018 to try and find a replacement for Solder.

There are really only two offensive tackles I could see bb being interested. Wheeler and McDermott.

I would be really happy if we took either in the third round.

I like Taco Charlton too. I wouldn't write off Arizona as a landing spot for Jimmy G. Great game in their building and would be dealing him out of conference. I think we'll lose Ryan. I'm hoping for a de and cb. Looking for Julien Davenport as a possible LT of the future at 64. Would love to get a rb and Butt in 3rd.

New computer. I'll be posting more. Looking forward to the draft. It's in Philly. I am debating on going to it. About a 2 1/2 hour drive for me. If we have two firsts, will prob go to opening night

I like Taco Charlton too. I wouldn't write off Arizona as a landing spot for Jimmy G. Great game in their building and would be dealing him out of conference. I think we'll lose Ryan. I'm hoping for a de and cb. Looking for Julien Davenport as a possible LT of the future at 64. Would love to get a rb and Butt in 3rd.

New computer. I'll be posting more. Looking forward to the draft. It's in Philly. I am debating on going to it. About a 2 1/2 hour drive for me. If we have two firsts, will prob go to opening night

I've thought Arizona is a perfect spot forever. Bruce and Jimmy could be a dangerous duo and Cards are def in win now mode.

If Jimmy lives up to the hype Arizona could be powerhouse, esp if they retain Jones.

I've thought Arizona is a perfect spot forever. Bruce and Jimmy could be a dangerous duo and Cards are def in win now mode.

If Jimmy lives up to the hype Arizona could be powerhouse, esp if they retain Jones.

Jones, Collins, Hightower, Ryan, long, and sheard. potentially a lot of patriots defenders on the free agent market.

One thing I will say about drafting an OT is it could be a bit like RB last year, it may be better to hold off because the 2018 class could be exceptional. I said in another thread, if Connor Williams from Texas continues his ascension he could be the best LT prospect since Joe Thomas. Mitch Hyatt from Clemson looks like another elite LT. Mike McGlinchy would have likely been a 1st round pick if he declared this year and there are a bunch of other really interesting guys that could go high such as Martez Ivey, Brock Ruble and Orlando Brown. I would look to shift some draft capital to 2018 to try and find a replacement for Solder.

The problem is how do you get up high enough to get a Connor Williams in a scenario like that?

The problem is how do you get up high enough to get a Connor Williams in a scenario like that?

Trade someone from our team for someone else's 2018 1st rd pick.

That whole Texas line played really well and opened up some real lanes for those backs.

Kid from Clemson didn't give up a sack all year I believe

Trade someone from our team for someone else's 2018 1st rd pick.

Let's just say, for the sake of argument, the Pats trade JG to Cleveland for their first. Won't that likely pull that pick far enough down that it's no longer in range to get a #1 OT?

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back