PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 2015 NFL Combine Thread

One problem is the "Stanford Asterisk" on his numbers -- thanks to their unusal training program, Stanford players tend to put up unrealistically good measurables.
Quite the opposite. Stanford's training program is notorious for emphasizing flexibility and endurance and not for optimizing traditional combine measurable. Stanford players tend to do poorly in most drills.
And there was Shannon Turley, the architect of a training regimen among the most distinct in college sports. He is Stanford’s director of football sports performance, and for years, he felt it necessary to write letters to N.F.L. scouts to explain the Cardinal’s nontraditional approach. He stopped that practice this year in the wake of Stanford’s success.

Although Stanford players may not perform as well in the bench press, or in the 40-yard dash at the N.F.L. combine, they often top the charts on F.M.S. scores. Asked for an example, Turley cited Richard Sherman, a fifth-round pick who became a dominant cornerback for the Seattle Seahawks.

Turley no longer mails those letters, addressed, “Dear N.F.L. Scout.” But he still must justify priorities and defend practices.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/31/s...n-redefines-strength.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Last edited:
So far:

- Bud Dupree at 269#: 4.57 40, 1.60 10-split, 42" VJ, 11'6" BJ
- Jadeveon Clowney at 266#: 4.51 40, 1.59 10-split, 37.5" BJ, 10'4" BJ

Can we stop with this Diggy only jumps high rubbish. I've been a big fan of his since September based upon his tape.

Diggy's tape is damn good.

I know you weren't referring to me. But my take, FWIW, is that he's a top 40 talent who is probably worth a late 1st. His inside/outside versatility, combat skills and explosiveness are terrific. Like every other prospect, there are questions. Mine are his agility in space, his "bendability" around the edge, and his medical. But he's damn good.

4.77 for Gwacham - Disappointing.
4.62 - for Ben Heeney - V good.

Eric Kendricks: 4.66 40. Daniel Jeremiah said he had a 38" VJ and 10'4" BJ.

Think Gwacham may have put on too much weight too fast?

I haven't seen any tape so I don't know what his play speed is. Maybe his athleticism was being exaggerated. Of course he could be like Delaire and is injured.

Paul Dawson 4.95 40. Ouch.

4.90 for Lorenzo Maudlin. 4.78 for Bernardrick McKinney.

Eric Kendricks: 4.66 40. Daniel Jeremiah said he had a 38" VJ and 10'4" BJ.

Kendricks is great. Too rich for us though I'd think. Loved his brother too as I know you did.

Goddamn, the pass rushers as a collective group are raising their already-high stock today. Dupree and Beasley are running away with this.

Mike Mayock WTF!

Shaq Thompson: 4.72 40, 1.78 10 split.

Max Valles: 4.99 40, 1.77 10 split. OUCH. Not good.

Shaq Thompson: 4.72 40, 1.78 10 split.

Max Valles: 4.99 40, 1.77 10 split. OUCH. Not good.

This field seems to slow down at night. Valles chased down Smelter from behind. I can't believe smelters a 5.00 plus guy.

He's been rapping funk.

Shaq Thompson at 4.72. Yuk.

Yeah, that's really bad. I was really intrigued with him, figuring he could be a Deone Bucannon type. But Bucannon ran sub-4.5

This field seems to slow down at night. Valles chased down Smelter from behind. I can't believe smelters a 5.00 plus guy.

I agree. I thought Valles was quite athletic. He played WR and S before switching to DE/OLB. I had guessed at least 4.7.

I'm not sure I'll make any rash judgments, but it's a question mark to address in his evaluation.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back