PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 2014 Mock draft Thread.

That is something that goes widely unremembered is that Cassell struggled in a new offense in 2009 after being traded but was very good in 2010. I think it was a combination of three OCs in 3 seasons, a horrific OL, injuries, and of course his own fans cheering him being down that led to Cassell never panning out.

For what it’s worth, the Chiefs got the best of the Cassell trade, we ended up with Pat Chung, I would rather have a solid NFL QB like Cassell than a depth safety any day of the week.

You're missing a critical element in the equation -- Cost. Cassel had a great year in the last year of his contract. Belichick franchised him to get some value for him other than a comp pick when some other team signed him to starter's money.

Given the choice between one year of Cassel as a backup for a top 5 QB salary or Patrick Chung on a rookie deal, I'd take Chung. It's easy now to forget how good Chung's rookie year was and how glowingly people, including us, spoke of his potential. Now he's a backup safety, but I think of Cassel as a backup quarterback, in the sense that the GM should always be actively trying to get someone better.

Best case scenario:

Draft:

- Aaron Donald slips past Chicago and Dallas. Pats trade #29 and 93 to Arizona for #20.
- 20 - Aaron Donald - DT - Pittsburgh. 6'1" 288#.
- 62 - Dominique Easley - DT - Florida St. 6'2" 288#. Bookend dominant 3-techs to run a 5-2 hybrid base or 4-2-5 sub.
- 130 - Trai Turner - OG - LSU. 6'3" 310#. Will plug in immediately at RG allowing Dan Connolly to move to center.
- 140 - Brandon Thomas - OG - Clemson. 6'3" 317#. Bookend guards. Will red shirt for a year and then take over for Logan Mankins.
- 198 - Antone Exum - DB - Virginia Tech (6' 218#) / Dez Southward - DB - Wisconsin (6' 211#). Can play a hybrid CB/S or even a "Stud" LB/S role.
- 206 - Kevin Pierre-Louis - LB/S - Boston College. 6' 232#. Another athletic hybrid space player.
- 244 - Gator Hoskins - FB/H-Back - Marshall. 6'2" 253#. Jack of all trades.

Optional:

- Pats trade Ryan Mallett during the draft. Not likely, but not out of the question. Houston at #65 is the lowest that I would consider.
- Pats trade back and pick up 2 or more of the following players:

- Garrett Gilbert - QB - SMU (3rd/4th round). 6'3" 223#. Big time talent. My favorite QB prospect in the draft.
- CJ Fiedorowicz - TE - Iowa (3rd/4th round). 6'6" 265#.
- Christian Jones - LB - Florida St. (6'3" 240#) / Jordan Tripp - LB - Montana (6'3" 234#) (3rd/4th round). Versatile LBs who can play in space.
- James Wilder - RB - Florida St. (late round). LeGarrette Blount with blocking/receiving capability.

UDFAs:

Load up on as many of these guys as possible, and see who sticks.

- Lonnie Ballentine - DB - Memphis. 6'3" 219#. 4.39 speed, 38" VJ. Another versatile hybrid space player.
- Jonathan Dowling - DB - Western Kentucky. 6'3" 198#. Ditto.
- Terrance Fede - DE - Marist. 6'4" 278#. Developmental DE.
- Zach Moore - DE - Concordia. 6'5" 269#.
- Larry Webster - DE/OLB (TE?) - Bloomsburg. 6'6" 252#.
- Zach Kerr - DT - Delaware. 6'1" 326#. Very athletic and disruptive.
- Beau Allen - DT - Wisconsin 6'3" 333#.
- Lorenzo Taliaferro - RB - Coastal Carolina. 6' 229#. More depth for RBBC.
- Ben Malena - RB - Texas A&M. 5'8" 194#.
- Chris Boyd - WR - Vanderbilt. 6'4" 206#.
- Trey Burton - WR/H-Back - Florida. 6'2" 224#.
- Ted Bolser - TE - Indiana. 6'5" 257#. Developmental TE.
- Blake Annen - TE- Cincinnati. 6'4" 247#. Developmental TE with terrific athleticism.
- Laurent Duvernay-Tardiff - OT - McGill. 6'5" 298#. Developmental swing tackle.
- Jonotthan Harrison - OC - Florida. 6'4" 304#. Developmental center.
- Bryn Renner - QB - North Carolina. 6'3" 228#. Developmental QB.

1 - DL - Stephon Tuitt - I think he can play DE in any defense and DT in 4-3
2 - DL - Dominique Easkey - For Mayoclinic - but I like the pick here anyway
3 - TE - C.J. Fiedorowicz - No choice, later TE made me want to puke
4a - WR - Brandon Coleman - Had to get a Rutgers guy, think we'll draft a WR
4b - C - Jonotthan Harrison - Seems like a Patriots type interior lineman
6a - LB - Jordan Tripp - Fletcher type replacement
6b - QB - Jeff Mathews - We'll take a QB, don't need to take one high just yet
7 - RB - Stephon Houston - Can't get past his workout numbers

I think we'll take a WR higher, this is what I would do not what I think.
That's what I would do. I think I will do a guess at what they will do :

1 - WR - Marquis Lee
2 - TE - Troy Niklas
3 - RB -Bishop Sankey
4a - LB - Telvin Smith
4b - OG - Brandon Thomas
6a - LB - Kevin Pierre-Louis
6b - DL - Jeoffrey Pagan
7 - QB - Kenneth Guiton

I hate to play Johny Cold Water, Brother BillFan, but I should point out that I believe ~ though this is just Speculation on my part, mind you ~ that Vrabel wasn't a "Sweetener", but was at most a "GiveAway."

He was fading rapidly at that point and had a moderately bloated Salary, you see. He was 34 and had but 2 more Sacks in his Future. I got the distinct impression ~ abetted by a rumor that the Falcons had actually offered #33 for Mallett, one Pick better than what we actually got from the Chiefs ~ that it was in fact a "Salary Dump", made with possibly the only potential Trade Partner that could justify retaining Vrabel's disproportionately large Salary, to be a Mentor while they installed their new System.

I'm just speculating about all that, but I'm confident that he wasn't a Sweetener.

And there's no way in Hell that anyone would consider Amendola ~ who anyone could've outbid us for, one more injury-riddled Year ago ~ an enticement to complete a Trade. Quite the opposite. :nono:

Grid: All other things being equal, at this point, I suspect the Patriots would have much rather jettisoned Adalius Thomas than Vrabel. The only problem was that Thomas's bloated contract made him untradeable at that point.

2014 NFL Mock Drafts - Rob Rang - CBSSports.com NFLDraftScout.com

Well I will give Rang credit for really shaking it up.

Patriots take Demarcus Lawrence @29 with Hageman, Jernigan, Ward, Tuitt and others still on the board. ASJ @62 I'm all for it.

Other interesting bits. The Rams trade down from 2 and take Matthews at 5 and then Carlos Hyde at 12 and get Bridgewater in the second round, WOW.

Lots of other really interesting (controversial) picks.

1-29. TRADE to WAS for 2-34 and 4-102

2-34 Kony Ealy, DE, Missouri
7777924.jpg

Behind Jones and Ninko we have little pass rushing at the DE position, Ealy has great quickness and can step right in as the 3rd DE.

2-42 Kyle Van Noy, LB, BYU
kvn_02mp9888.jpg

LB corps has a great starting 3 but no depth, as of right now a 7th rounder from last year is our #4, last year we had Fletcher and Collins in addition to Spikes. Spikes and Fletcher are gone and Collins took the 3rd starting job from Spikes so a quality #4 is needed.

2-62. TRADE to TEN for 2-42

3-93. C.J. Fiedorowicz, TE, Iowa
fiedo.jpg

Prototypical size, blocking and receiving ability, provides Gronk protection and an ability to run 2 TE sets

4-102 TRADE to TEN for 2-42

4-130. Cameron Fleming, OT/OG, Stanford
130821134648-cameron-fleming-single-image-cut.jpg

Depth and potential to upgrade the O-line

4-140. Crockett Gillmore, TE, Colorado State
13001786.jpg

Double dipping at TE makes a lot of sense here, to run a 2 TE set you need 3 TEs, even last year we ran it with JAGs

6-198. Lorenzo Taliaferro, RB, Coastal Carolina
529aba6b448de.image.jpg

Replaces Blount's position on the RB committee, big powerful runner and catches surprisingly well for his size, can also play a hybrid RB/FB in situations.

6-206. Kevin Pierre-Louis, LB, Boston College
1stQuarter122_t607.jpg

Another double dip, also at a position of poor depth, will also contribute of special teams.

7-243. John Urschel, OG, Penn State
131202160716-john-urschel-story-body.jpg

Smart player, played under BOB at Penn State so has a head start of the system.

2014 NFL Mock Drafts - Rob Rang - CBSSports.com NFLDraftScout.com

Well I will give Rang credit for really shaking it up.

Patriots take Demarcus Lawrence @29 with Hageman, Jernigan, Ward, Tuitt and others still on the board. ASJ @62 I'm all for it.

Other interesting bits. The Rams trade down from 2 and take Matthews at 5 and then Carlos Hyde at 12 and get Bridgewater in the second round, WOW.

Lots of other really interesting (controversial) picks.

I would prefer Marqise Lee if the draft played out like that but I wouldn't absolutely hate the pick. I think I prefer Attaochu though. It wouldn't be the first time the Pats took a player most had in the 2nd round in the 1st. Obviously Mankins but also McCourty. Most had him rated as a 2nd round pick.

And there is still plenty of time for Lawrence to rise in the media. At about this time a few years ago Chandler Jones was viewed as a 2nd/3rd round pick. It was only the last few weeks that people started putting him in the 1st.

I would prefer Marqise Lee if the draft played out like that but I wouldn't absolutely hate the pick. I think I prefer Attaochu though. It wouldn't be the first time the Pats took a player most had in the 2nd round in the 1st. Obviously Mankins but also McCourty. Most had him rated as a 2nd round pick.

And there is still plenty of time for Lawrence to rise in the media. At about this time a few years ago Chandler Jones was viewed as a 2nd/3rd round pick. It was only the last few weeks that people started putting him in the 1st.

There's a dozen players on the board I like better at that point. Hageman given who's left would be my pick. I like Lee and would be ok with the Pats taking him but it's such a deep draft for WR I'd just feel they would still get a great player later in the draft where as there isn't another Hageman or even 75 cents on the dollar.

@Avenger.

Really like your mock. I think that Fiedorowicz and Gilmore is a little redundant and I can't comment on Fleming because I haven't studied him but I love the last three picks.

As much as I like Shazier and Hageman there, if Nix is sitting at 29, I'm not sure we pass him up. I'm thinking a massive middle of the 4-3. There was Williams and Williams in Minnesota, Adams and Ngata in Baltimore, and potentially Wilfork and Nix in New England.

In sub, one or both of the Ch Jones brothers comes in for the pass rush.

Likewise, I'm not a huge Ealy fan, but at 61, I find it hard to believe there will be a better player on the board. I understand he's falling as of late...but if Mel's right on this, damn.
If Nix is sitting there thats who i can see BB taking. With these cornerbacks i can see teams trying to run the ball. While a number of people like A Donald, i can't see Belichick taking him even if hes sitting at 29 which is unlikely. To short and to light, he would wear down me thinks

My 1 Round Mock Draft and Patriots 7 round Mock
Round 1
1. Texans- Jadeveon Clowney DE South Carolina
2. Rams- Greg Robinson OT Auburn
*TRADE*- Buccaneers traded #7, #38, #143, 2015 3rd to Jaguars
3. Buccaneers- Sammy Watkins WR Clemson
4. Browns- Khalil Mack OLB Buffalo
5. Raiders- Jake Matthews OT Texas AM
6. Falcons- Taylor Lewan OT Michigan
7.(From Bucs) Jags- Blake Bortles QB UCF
*TRADE* Jets trade #18, #49, #104, #233
8. Jets- Mike Evans WR Texas AM
9. Bills- Eric Ebron TE UNC
10. Lions- Justin Gilbert CB Oklahoma State
11. Titans- Anthony Barr OLB UCLA
12. Giants- Aaron Donald DT Pittsburgh
13. Rams- Hasean Clinton-Dix FS Alabama
14. BEars- Timmy Jernigan DT Florida State
15. Steelers- Darqueze Dennard CB Michigan State
*TRADE* Panthers trade #28, #60, #128
16. Panthers- Odell Beckham WR LSU
17. Ravens- Zack Martin OT Notre Dame
18. (From Jets)Vikings- Johnny Manziel QB Texas AM
19. Dolphins- Xavier Su'a-Filo OG UCLA
20. Cardinals- Calvin Pryor FS Louisville
21. Packers- CJ Mosley ILB Alabama
22. Eagles- Brandin Cooks WR Oregon State
23. Chiefs- Marqise Lee WR USC
24. Bengals- Kyle Fuller CB Virginia Tech
25. Chargers- Bradley Roby CB Ohio State
26. Browns- Teddy Bridgewater QB Louisville
27. Saints- Ryan Shazier OLB Ohio State
28. (From Panthers) Cowboys- Louis Nix DT Notre Dame
*TRADE* Texans trade #33, #141, #177, #216
29. Texans- Derek Carr QB Fresno State
30. 49ers- Jason Verrett CB TCU
31. Broncos- David Yankey OG Stanford
32. Seahawks- Kelvin Benjamin WR Florida State
Patriots Mock...
33. Kony Ealy DE Missouri
I wasnt expecting him to fall this far, I took the best player available and a good player at that.
62. Deone Bucannon SS Washington State
Dont be surprised to see that Patriots take him in the first if they dont trade down.

93. CJ Fiedorowicz TE Iowa
130. Tom Savage QB Pittsburgh
140. (Comp) Bryan Stork OC Florida State
141. Traded to Packers for #156, #191
156. Khairi Fortt OLB Cal
169. Patriots traded #198, #216, 2015 6th. Caraun Reid DT Princeton
177. Storm Johnson RB UCF
191. Chris Watt OG Notre Dame
206. Brandon Coleman WR Rutgers
244. Colt Lyerla TE Oregon

@Avenger.

Really like your mock. I think that Fiedorowicz and Gilmore is a little redundant and I can't comment on Fleming because I haven't studied him but I love the last three picks.

I was torn between a couple O-line prospects at that pick, I like smart players and that's what lead me to penciling in Fleming there, he majored in aeronautics and astronautics while at Stanford and is graduating this spring. I like the redundancy of the TE picks because we've seen what happens when we are down our best TEs.

Patriots Mock...
33. Kony Ealy DE Missouri
I wasnt expecting him to fall this far, I took the best player available and a good player at that.
62. Deone Bucannon SS Washington State
Dont be surprised to see that Patriots take him in the first if they dont trade down.

93. CJ Fiedorowicz TE Iowa
130. Tom Savage QB Pittsburgh
140. (Comp) Bryan Stork OC Florida State
141. Traded to Packers for #156, #191
156. Khairi Fortt OLB Cal
169. Patriots traded #198, #216, 2015 6th. Caraun Reid DT Princeton
177. Storm Johnson RB UCF
191. Chris Watt OG Notre Dame
206. Brandon Coleman WR Rutgers
244. Colt Lyerla TE Oregon

I think Storm Johnson is my favorite pick there. I don't hate the others (although I don't like Reid nearly enough to give three picks for and don't want Lyerla under any circumstances), but I don't love them either.

Grid: All other things being equal, at this point, I suspect the Patriots would have much rather jettisoned Adalius Thomas than Vrabel. The only problem was that Thomas's bloated contract made him untradeable at that point.

Sure, of course: Thomas was a Cancer.

Vrabel, on the other hand, we could find a Trading Partner for.

Barely.

You need a Trading Partner to make a Trade, after all. :cool:

For example: I'd love to dump Amendola on someone, but even Washington and Oakland aren't that stupid.

1-29. TRADE to WAS for 2-34 and 4-102

2-34 Kony Ealy, DE, Missouri
7777924.jpg

Behind Jones and Ninko we have little pass rushing at the DE position, Ealy has great quickness and can step right in as the 3rd DE.

2-42 Kyle Van Noy, LB, BYU
kvn_02mp9888.jpg

LB corps has a great starting 3 but no depth, as of right now a 7th rounder from last year is our #4, last year we had Fletcher and Collins in addition to Spikes. Spikes and Fletcher are gone and Collins took the 3rd starting job from Spikes so a quality #4 is needed.

2-62. TRADE to TEN for 2-42

3-93. C.J. Fiedorowicz, TE, Iowa
fiedo.jpg

Prototypical size, blocking and receiving ability, provides Gronk protection and an ability to run 2 TE sets

4-102 TRADE to TEN for 2-42

4-130. Cameron Fleming, OT/OG, Stanford
130821134648-cameron-fleming-single-image-cut.jpg

Depth and potential to upgrade the O-line

4-140. Crockett Gillmore, TE, Colorado State
13001786.jpg

Double dipping at TE makes a lot of sense here, to run a 2 TE set you need 3 TEs, even last year we ran it with JAGs

6-198. Lorenzo Taliaferro, RB, Coastal Carolina
529aba6b448de.image.jpg

Replaces Blount's position on the RB committee, big powerful runner and catches surprisingly well for his size, can also play a hybrid RB/FB in situations.

6-206. Kevin Pierre-Louis, LB, Boston College
1stQuarter122_t607.jpg

Another double dip, also at a position of poor depth, will also contribute of special teams.

7-243. John Urschel, OG, Penn State
131202160716-john-urschel-story-body.jpg

Smart player, played under BOB at Penn State so has a head start of the system.

Hmmn, A draft without a single projected starter beyond a 4th round possibility in Fleming, Way to Go!

Last year at draft time we didn't have many if any projected starters from that class, and look at our #1 pick Collins, wasn't projected to start but came in strong when injuries hit and is now a starter.

This is my first attempt at a mock draft and with me living in the UK I don't find out much about college football so I was just wondering how far off the ball I am? Any thoughts and comments would be greatly appreciated.

1(HOU)-Jadeveon Clowney
2(STL)-Trade to MIN-Sammy Watkins
3(JAX)-Johnny Manziel
4(CLE)-Teddy Bridgewater
5(OAK)-Mike Evans
6(ATL)-Kahlil Mack
7(TBB)-Eric Ebron
8(MIN)-Trade to STL-Greg Robinson
9(BUF)-Ha Ha Clinton Dix
10(DET)-Justin Gilbert
11(TEN)-Jake Matthews
12(NYG)-Taylor Lewan
13(STL)- Trade to GB-Calvin Pryor
14(CHI)-Aaron Donald
15(PIT)-Darqueze Dennard
16(DAL)- Dee Ford
17(BAL)-Marquise Lee
18(NYJ)-Odell Beckham
19(MIA)-Cyris Koundalindjo
20(ARZ)-Anthony Barr
21(GB)-Trade to STL-Timmy Jernigan
22(PHI)-CJ Mosley
23(KC)-Kelvin Benjamin
24(CIN)-Kyle Fuller
25(SD)-Jason Verrett
26(CLE)-David Yankey
27(NO)-Trade to WSH-Zach Martin
28(CAR)-Brandon Cooks
*29(NE)-Trade to HOU- Blake Bortles*
30(SF)- Kony Ealy
*31(DEN)-Trade to NE-Ryan Shazier*
32(SEA)-Trade to OAK-Zach Mettenberger

Trades don't make sense, the Patriots trading back only to trade back up two spots higher is the most glaring question.

#29 - TRADE - #36 #100 #175

#36 - Ealy (or Tuitt) - DE
#62 - Niklas - TE
#93 -Tripp - OLB
#100 - Trai Turner - OL
#130 - Hubbard - OLB/DE
#140 - Exum - SS

-TRADE- Next years 5th and this years #192

#155 - Brandon Thomas - OL
#175 - Jake Murphy - TE
#208 - Marion Grice - RB
#244 - Cornelius Lucas - OL

#29. Traded to Redskins for #34, #142, #178, 2015 5th
#34. Traded to Jaguars for #39, #144, #205, 2015 6th
#39. Kony Ealy DE Missouri
#62. Deone Bucannon SS Washington State
#93. CJ Fiedorowicz TE Iowa
#111. Patriots traded #130, #144 to Lions. Selected..Jordan Trip OLB Montana
#140. (Comp) Crockett Gilmore TE Colorado State
#142. Tom Savage QB Pittsburgh
#178. Storm Johnson RB UCF
#205. Tyler Larsen OC Utah State
#206. Brandon Thomas OG Clemson(value pick)
#244. Aaron Colvin CB Oklahoma

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back