PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Texas A&M says Colts ignoring calls to stop use of '12th Man'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now here's a good place to use the word KARMA.

Someone once told me the Texas A&M Corps of Cadets "combines the worst aspects of the military, Greek life, and the South into one horrible cesspool of ****." I think that about describes it.

Anyone watched Star Trek: The Next Generation and followed Worf?

The actor that played Worf is from Lufkin, Texas - Aggieland. His catch phrase of DUTY, HONOR, tradition, military....I swear he was just acting like the Aggie Corps.

Cheaters never win, *4-5.

4103.jpeg

colts sound like they're run by a bunch of tsips.

Please explain how A&M is being stupid? A&M already pummeled the Seahawks in court over this.

The phrase has been in common usage pretty much forever and they are exploiting the law for gain that they don't deserve. They filed for a trademark in 1989 for this phrase which has been on public record since at least 1900 (look it up on wikipedia).

About as classy as trying to trademark happy birthday to you.
Who owns Happy Birthday? Class action lawsuit argues all of us

Litigious American ********. Just because you can sue, or trademark a common phrase, doesn't mean you should, or that you haven't lost honor by doing so.

Last edited:
Please explain how A&M is being stupid? A&M already pummeled the Seahawks in court over this.

They're not. Rather, intellectual property law is horribly stupid.

The phrase has been in common usage pretty much forever and they are exploiting the law for gain that they don't deserve. They filed for a trademark in 1989 for this phrase which has been on public record since at least 1900 (look it up on wikipedia).

About as classy as trying to trademark happy birthday to you.
Who owns Happy Birthday? Class action lawsuit argues all of us

Litigious American ********. Just because you can sue, or trademark a common phrase, doesn't mean you should, or that you haven't lost honor by doing so.

The phrase has not been "in common usage" for forever. You're wrong and the courts would have sided with the Seahawks except they decided that settling out of court would be better. BTW, since you are behind the times, SCOTUS ruled that the lyrics to Happy Birthday are public domain.

Your claim that they are "exploiting the law for gain they don't deserve" is BS. Hell, who are you to say what they do and don't deserve? Self-Righteous much?

BTW, did you ever, EVER stop to think that maybe they filed the trademark in 1989 because other others were profiting from using the phrase? Furthermore, were you out slamming Kraft for trademarking "19-0"?

The phrase has not been "in common usage" for forever. You're wrong and the courts would have sided with the Seahawks [sic] except they decided that settling out of court would be better. BTW, since you are behind the times, SCOTUS ruled that the lyrics to Happy Birthday are public domain.

Thank you, Mr Pedant, I knew that. My point was that it was stupid that Happy Birthday was even an issue in 2015. America is silly with things like this, forces common sense out the window and lets us trot way too much through trademark, so that even singing happy birthday could cost you a royalty unless the courts happen to have a moment of lucidity.

Similarly, the phrase 'the 12th man' has been in use in press since 1900 in American Football. In football years, that's pretty much forever. If you want to be pedantic and get into a semantic quibble about the word "forever", as if that is even important here, then you are a lawyer or worse who has lost all common sense in ordinary conversation and are not worth talking to.

Now let's consider the actual history because you have ignored it:
The first recorded use of the term "twelfth man" was a magazine published by the University of Minnesota in September, 1900, that referred to "the mysterious influence of the twelfth man on the team, the rooter."[1] Later, in the November 1912 edition of The Iowa Alumnus, an alumni publication of the University of Iowa (then known as State University of Iowa), E.A. McGowan described the 1903 game between Iowa and the University of Illinois. In his article, titled "The Twelfth Player" McGowan wrote: "The eleven men had done their best; but the twelfth man on the team (the loyal spirited Iowa rooter) had won the game for old S.U.I."[2]

And it goes on. So we don't actually know if the courts would have sided with the college, because it hasn't gone to court. My point is that '12th man' is an expression that has been in use for over 115 years. Hell we used it at my alma mater before 1989. It seems to have been used commonly.

The point is, this expression was out there in the football zeitgeist well before 1989. Just because some opportunistic ass can come along and trademark it, exploiting a stupid American trademark system, doesn't make them righteous. It actually makes them a ****. It makes them a **** for taking the Seahawks to court; it makes them a **** for taking the Colts to court; and it makes them make you a **** for defending them. o_O

The moral of the story is, don't be a freakin' ****.

Last edited:
Can this get moved to the practice squad?

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

BTW, did you ever, EVER stop to think that maybe they filed the trademark in 1989 because other others were profiting from using the phrase? Furthermore, were you out slamming Kraft for trademarking "19-0"?

Did you stop to think that people simply used the phrase, without regard to profit,since 1900, and that the type of people that try to turn such a common phrases into commodities that they literally own the rights to, are ****s? Hey Bruinz, you should trademark the expression "I love you."

And I definitely was unhappy that Kraft trademarked 19-0. That was stupid. Not only because of the karmic angle, but because it was douchey, hubristic, presumptuous. I guess I should turn that around, were you the Patriot fan that actually liked that he did that? Thought that was a good idea, did you?

:rolleyes:

Keep lining 'em up for me Bruinz....

Last edited:
I think you're right that legally they aren't doing anything wrong but, it was a pretty weak phrase to trademark from the get go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back