PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Terrelle Pryor thought he’d be a Patriot in 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

crownontherocks

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Terrelle Pryor thought he’d be a Patriot in 2015

Next Sunday, the Patriots travel to Cleveland. When they do, coach Bill Belichick will get a close look at a guy in whom Belichick was very interested a year ago.

I really thought I was going to be a Patriot,” receiver Terrelle Pryor told Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer. “I know Bill Belichick really liked me. I had a great workout for them and everything went really well. I really thought he was going to sign me.”

Pryor said the transaction didn’t happen due to concerns about a lingering hamstring injury.

The workout occurred during the period after the Browns had cut Pryor and before they brought him back on December 1. The Patriots realized after the fact that they should have signed Pryor.

“We blew it,” former Patriots front-office executive Mike Lombardi recently said repeatedly on the Bill Simmons podcast, via Cabot. “The league often gives you a chance to be great and if you don’t talk advantage of it, it’s your own fault and that was one of those times we didn’t take advantage of it in New England, clearly.”

Pryor has blossomed as a receiver with the Browns, supplementing 144 yards receiving in Week Three with rushing yards and passing yards and even some time at safety. (Maybe he can kick field goals, too.)

Next Sunday, Belichick will get a close look at what may have been. Fortunately for the Patriots, the Browns don’t consist of 11 Terrelle Pryors on each side of the ball.​

Interesting. The talent was clearly there, but the attitude was certainly questionable.

He's looking good this year though, no doubt.

Lets not blow it again and sign Josh Gordon when they release him.

Really wanted us to sign him. I knew with his talent it was only a matter of time before he turned into a good receiver.

Lets not blow it again and sign Josh Gordon when they release him.
Vastly different situation... Gordon is clearly talented too but he has way more issues.

That said, he's got elite-level talent and he actually does strike me as a decent person who just needs to clean up his act... Kind of like Moss but in a different way.

Interesting. The talent was clearly there, but the attitude was certainly questionable.

He's looking good this year though, no doubt.

I'm not aware of any questionable attitude with Pryor. If anything, the question was whether he could transition to a position he had never played. I don't remember too many people being sad we didn't sign him last year. In retrospect, it would have been preferable to keeping Chris Harper lying around.

When the Patriots worked Pryor out there are two things to remember.

First off, Pryor was just starting to make his transition from quarterback to wide receiver.

Second (and more importantly), the Pats worked him out in mid-September. They were looking for an immediate upgrade/depth at the position. As it turned out they waived Chris Harper and traded for Keshawn Martin.

Had the tryout happened early in the off-season, then you are looking at a 90-man roster and months to work with him and get a better idea of how the transition was progressing before making a decision, without injury concerns.

Here's a link to the original article:

How Browns' Terrelle Pryor 'really thought Bill Belichick was going to sign me' last season and why he didn't

In the fall of 2015, Terrelle Pryor spent about four days working out for and visiting with the Patriots, and thought he had found a home.

"I really thought I was going to be a Patriot,'' he told cleveland.com on Thursday. "I know Bill Belichick really liked me. I had a great workout for them and everything went really well. I really thought he was going to sign me.''

Actually, Pryor, who had drawn some previous interest from the Patriots, said he felt his prolonged visit and workout there were "phenomenal."

Pryor, who will face the Patriots next week at FirstEnergy Stadium, said ultimately Belichick opted not to sign him "because he just wasn't sure my hamstring was 100 percent healed.''

Pryor, who showed flashes in Browns off-season workouts and the first few days of training camp in 2015, pulled a hamstring on the fourth day of camp and missed the first three preseason games. He then aggravated the muscle in joint practices against the Bills before the second preseason game, and was never really able to show just how far he had come as a receiver in a short period of time​

I'm not aware of any questionable attitude with Pryor. If anything, the question was whether he could transition to a position he had never played. I don't remember too many people being sad we didn't sign him last year. In retrospect, it would have been preferable to keeping Chris Harper lying around.
I could be mis-remembering (it wouldn't be the first time) but I thought he was known to be a be a bit of a nuisance. Maybe I got him mixed up with someone else.

Definitely would've wanted him regardless though!

Doug Kyed said they actually tried to trade for him later in the season last year also

Last edited:
It sucks that we didn't go and grab him, but I'm more than happy with what we have right now.

I could be mis-remembering (it wouldn't be the first time) but I thought he was known to be a be a bit of a nuisance. Maybe I got him mixed up with someone else.

Definitely would've wanted him regardless though!
Pryor was knocked for the OSU jersey and tat scandal, other than that I can't think of anything he did to consider him a nuisance.

It sucks that we didn't go and grab him, but I'm more than happy with what we have right now.

Amendola is 32, and Jules is 31. We should be looking for their eventual replacements. Hogan is a great start so far, but if we can pull off a trade for Pryor, we should definitely do it.

Pryor was knocked for the OSU jersey and tat scandal, other than that I can't think of anything he did to consider him a nuisance.

Yeah, and that was silly. I support college kids getting paid, so never thought anything of it.

Do you think Pryor would do kick or punt returns too? Although if they thought he could do it then they may have signed him.

Belichick is genius, who needs backup QB's when all your WR's can play QB? The all back up QB offense!

Tyrod Taylor thought he'd be a Patriot, too..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe