PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tek Has Surgery

HAMMERMILL

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
TEK has surgery on his knee,sounds like season ending.
For TEK and the sox

I think saying season ending could be a little early, cause there hasn't been any word just yet.
Link

And hey, we could always pick up an extra catcher at the trading deadline... oh, wait, no we can't. Great timing.

Justice said:
I think saying season ending could be a little early, cause there hasn't been any word just yet.
Link

And hey, we could always pick up an extra catcher at the trading deadline... oh, wait, no we can't. Great timing.

Hope your right but knee surgeries and catchers are a bad combination:(

This is awful. No team deserves to have Mirabelli starting, with Ken Huckaby on the bench.

I almost threw up upon hearing this during the game last night. . .

Torn meniscuses can be repaired laparoscopically, but it's harder on a catcher than any other position in baseball.

But yes, **** that this happened just HOURS after the trade deadline.

It's not even his offense that the team will miss, because he wasn't having great year with the bat. I'm more worried about Mirabelli calling the games behind the plate. I'm sure that he does his homework as well, but you always hear (the young guys like Papelbon especially) say "I'm just going to throw whatever 'tek tells me to." I just wonder if they'll have the same confidence with Doug back there.

I get more optimistic as the day goes on. . .maybe I'm just tired. My bro tore his meniscus pretty badly in HS (he was a catcher, too), and he was back playing pretty soon after they operated. Of course, the injuries may not even be comparable, but I'm trying to look on the bright side.

Justice, you're right about Mirabelli. . .but I'd like to think that after so many years of being with Varitek day-to-day, he'd have incorporated some of Tek's meticulous preparation into his routines. Tek is really what makes the team tick, so it hurts to lose him for any amount of time.

Sh!tty timeing. If Tek gets hurt the day before they could have picked up Javy Lopez or Lieberthal from the Phillies. Mirabelli looks a little heavier than he has in the past (a few weeks behind the plate in August should heal that), I sure that he will get back to a robust .250 batting average soon. The guy they called up is basically Bob Uecker up to and including the .200 batting average in AAA. They say that the knee has been hurting him, which would explain his hitting woes.

I wonder if Javy could make it threw waivers, maybe we'll take advantage of our one day in second place to make a deal without the Yankees having the ability to block it.

Either way, the Sox are in trouble withot Tek, especially if it is more than four weeks.

Sounds like a month, according to most reports; maybe a little longer. If he's back for the stretch run the Sox should be ok.

I can't imagine any teams out in the NL West letting Lopez get through waivers, they all need help. The Globe had a few options for backup catcher, but none that make me too excited. The thing to remember is that we only need a guy who will fill in for 4 or 5 weeks and then, unless he can catch the knuckleball better than Doug, we can sit or send down to Pawtucket. I doubt Lopez, at his pricetag, is a month long rent-a-player.

EDIT: Just heard on EEI (Rob Bradford) that a couple catcher have been placed on waivers: Javy Lopez, Benji Molina and Jason LaRue were the names he threw out there. Also, a couple other names like Andruw Jones has been placed on waivers. If no one claims any of them, they can start working out trades as of 2 pm tommorrow.

Last edited:
Justice said:
It's not even his offense that the team will miss, because he wasn't having great year with the bat.
Trust me, they'll miss his offense. Varitek was starting to swing the bat better, and it's a huge drop from .243/.331/.411 to .182/.259/.314.

Johnny Mac said:
Trust me, they'll miss his offense. Varitek was starting to swing the bat better, and it's a huge drop from .243/.331/.411 to .182/.259/.314.
I'm not saying that Mirabelli can duplicate Tek's offense, but with guys like Ramirez, Papi, Lowell, Loretta, and now Pena, this team has firepower. It's not like he was the main cog of the offense. They'll still score runs.

Apparently the Sox have acquired Javy Lopez. He ain't great, but I'll take it.

Justice said:
I can't imagine any teams out in the NL West letting Lopez get through waivers, they all need help. The Globe had a few options for backup catcher, but none that make me too excited. The thing to remember is that we only need a guy who will fill in for 4 or 5 weeks and then, unless he can catch the knuckleball better than Doug, we can sit or send down to Pawtucket. I doubt Lopez, at his pricetag, is a month long rent-a-player.
wow, I look whicked smaht.
Just further proof why I should never, under any curcimstances, run the Red Sox.

Hmm, well, ESPNews has changed their headline to "Red Sox interested in Javy Lopez." We'll see.

according to gordon edes its a done deal .details friday.

The piece in the Globe to day said that in return, we were sending them someone from the 40 man roster, but Sean McAdams said it was a mid-level prospect. I'm guessing it'll be a pitcher, maybe David Pauly or Edgar Martinez. Of course, they could always take Jason Johnson off our hands...

Last edited:
I believe it's Adam Stern we're sending them.

A team was award a waiver claim for Andruw Jones. There's a possibility it's the Red Sox, as they were interested in him before the deadline. However, the report said a number of teams put in a claim, so I doubt the Red Sox were awarded the claim even if they did put one in.

Even if they were, there's almost no chance they'd get a deal done. Atlanta wanted major league talent. They asked for Lester, Hansen, and Crisp. I doubt any of those guys would make it through waivers, let alone 2, which is at least what it would take to get a deal done.

And now Javy sees action in his first game with the Sox as Mirabelli goes down with a bum ankle. Wonder if they are gonna carry 3 catchers for the playoffs...

Last edited by a moderator:

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back