PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ted Larsen, rookie starter for Bucs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a misunderstanding, apparently -- some folks mistook the original post for caustic sarcasm, probably because of the reference to good players "squirting through Belichick's fingers."

Sincerity is such a rare bird on messageboards, people don't know what to make of it when they see it. :)

I've been flamed multiple times recently for criticizing the team when I actually wasn't. Lots of knee-jerking around here.

Last edited:
I apologize if someone already said this but wasn't he drafted to convert to a center?

I was surprised he was cut because I remember Dante went special to work him out himself and really liked him.

Last edited:
I apologize if someone already said this but wasn't he drafted to convert to a center?

I was surprised he was cut because I remember Dante went special to work him out himself and really liked him.

I believe he was a center in college but projected as a guard?

The OP mistakenly thought he was cut in favor of Ohrenberger. The fact was, thanks to the cattle rustler, we had a real need for experienced guards all of a sudden, so projects like Larsen didn't have a chance of sticking and we hoped to get him to the PS. It was a surprise Larsen was picked, after all with comp picks and such he was quite available before.

Even if Mankins hadn't held out, they certainly had other positions more immediately important. That's just the breaks. It's quite possible the guy needed a team that could develop him and will be hurt from being forced in.

Apology accepted. You went Jersey Shore based on too small a sample size in a thread specifically about Ted Larsen and our deep draft class.

I migrated over to the Planet after Mayo Clinic left, then back to boston.com, then back here for draft talk, without first re-affirming my vows to BB.

This draft class could be considered one of the best drafts ever, and the one coming up could could match it, as could the next...

What a great New Year for the Pats, looking back, right now, and going forward.

The Patriots will probably win some "best franchise in sports" award this year.

You'll get your chance to call me an idiot for suggesting we draft Von Miller. As we approach the draft. He's not the right size..yaya...yada yada. I think guys like Drew Brees, Danny Woodhead and Elvis Dumervil have proven you don't have to fit into the mold to be a player.

I believe he was a center in college but projected as a guard?

To add to what others have mentioned, BB was once asked this in a presser and he stated that Ohrnberger was being moved to center (after having been a college guard) and Larsen projected to be an NFL guard (after having been a college center).

I searched for the specific press conference but I only got this patriots.com article which has the quote:

Bill Belichick by way of Andy Hart said:
“He [Larsen] has some position flexibility, but he hasn’t played a lot of guard, but that’s certainly a position where we’ll work him at,” Belichick continued.” He’s kind of the reverse of Ohrnberger. Rich was kind of a guard that we worked at center. Ted’s more of a center that we will work at guard, so ultimately, hopefully, those guys will be able to play all three positions to some degree. I mean, we’ll see how that goes, but that will be the expectation that we at least try there and see what happens.”
Meet the Rookies - OL Ted Larsen

Last edited:
Still waiting for a response, fellazzz.

The sun is down so you must be back from that stroll on the beach;)

I'm guessing the negativity resulted from the erroneous statement that we kept Ohernberger over Larsen - when in fact we cut both of them. An error not deserving of the type of response it got perhaps. But I won't speak for the posters who posted it.

As for Larsen, it's way too early to make conclusions about his career. I wouldn't say it was a great draft pick by BB. After all, he didn't make it through TC.

As for Larsen, it's way too early to make conclusions about his career. I wouldn't say it was a great draft pick by BB. After all, he didn't make it through TC.

If he's starting next year, it is a great draft pick, given the draft position. The % of players drafted that late that stick to a roster in the league is tiny. To be starting is an aberration.

Honestly... Sometimes this site...just seems....lame. Some posters on here are devoid of humor. I picture just angry middle aged men smelling of stale cigarettes looking to pick fights on this board. Read the first post...it was a compliment. But since some of you think everything is a slight, the OP gets put down by Rocks and the other posters who also appear to lack reading comprehension give him a pat on the back to for putting down the op who actually was complimenting the same team you guys protect with you lives. Its ok guys. Take a deep breath, read slowly, and dont try to boycott every writer, website, newspaper that doesnt have the pats winning by 50.

Happy New Year

If he's starting next year, it is a great draft pick, given the draft position. The % of players drafted that late that stick to a roster in the league is tiny. To be starting is an aberration.

Form a Patriots' perspective, if he's not on your roster, you can't really count it as a good pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes