PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tape Vs Measurables

Username

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
What's everyone's opinion on the importance of tape vs measurables?

Personally, I put a lot more stock in the tape than the measurables, but of course there are exceptions, such as Tank Dell this year.

If I was to pull a ratio out of my ass, with no actual mathematical logic to it whatsoever, I would say I'm generally 80:20 in favour of tape. Interested to hear others opinions though....

Trust the tape but verify and confirm through athletic testing. There is no ratio imo. You look for "traits that translate" on tape. Along with other NFL qualities - system they're tasked with and how they're accomplishing it, what do their coaches say or don't say about them. What's their effort like when they're down by 10 in the 4th? I always look for good and bad games if I can. Then athletic testing is for thresholds and speaks towards their ceiling.

I used to grade solely on film for my first couple years but it's foolish not to include athletic testing. 75-80% of the league is made up by special athletes. Like multi-sport, highly highly sought after athletes. So testing is important but not the end all be all as we see every year.

Tape + traits that's translate + production + athletic testing usually = good results. Obviously assuming his head is on straight and he's a hard worker.

That needs to be a banner on this sub forum.
I need my own section :)

Tape (ideally 5-6 games where you see good, bad, adversity, different circumstances)

+ traits that's translate (For example WR - does a WR round his routes - if he does he might be taught that to not lose momentum (Riley) is efficient on the line & at the top of his route, does he lose speed adjusting, does he show late hands or advertise a a rec)

+ production (production absolutely matters. so does context but you cant replace production - esp at a early age. Most dominant prospects are "names" by 19, much sooner by HS if we're being honest. Its more important for some positions but its always nice to see. Also obv better against the best comp)

+ athletic testing (You want thresholds on some but its important you see standouts from your "top tier" guys. NFL is an all-star league that weeds out the physically and mentally weak among the best in the world. Its very important you have an edge somewhere. Nowadays you really need a good eye on what to look for. You cant fake a 40. Thats why its still useful. People ask why we have and it might leave when we see GPS for everyone but it shows effort and fight wheres its easier to "learn" or be taught shuttles, 3C etc It just sucks they wait until the end after having them there all week. Anyway agility drills are more important - specifically 3C/20 shuttle, 10 yard split, vert) usually = good results. Obviously assuming his head is on straight and he's a hard worker.

This guy’s athletic measurements probably outpaced his production. If Matthew Slater weren’t coming back, he’d be a ST gunner possibility in a latter round.

And I believe his 40 was 4.40, not 4.45.

I agree tape is probably 80% the most important. I’ll give you an example, look at Zay Jones, he ran a 4.42, but if you saw the tape beforehand, you would swear he is a 4.3 guy, because he looks so damned fast. And maybe he can run a 4.3, and just had a bad day running the 40. I go all the way back to Jerry Rice, his official time was 4.7 I believe, but the 49ers tested him at around 4.5. Then watch the tape pre draft, you can tell he was faster than a true 4.7.

This guy’s athletic measurements probably outpaced his production. If Matthew Slater weren’t coming back, he’d be a ST gunner possibility in a latter round.

And I believe his 40 was 4.40, not 4.45.

Nothing wrong with still signing him as a UDFA and letting him compete...

The Test Case version of traits vs tape will almost certainly be drafted tonight, mostly on traits: LT Blake Freeland... and it could be by Us.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back