PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Surprise trade/pickup

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Peyton Manning would fit in well here as a backup.

The Lamont Jordon pickup is the answer ... if Brady goes down the Patriots offense will be a running game and a good one at that.

that's if our line remembers how to block

that's if our line remembers how to block

I think O-Line will see some new and potentially awesome players before we get too deep into the season. I believe BB even hinted in that direction in one of his post-TC press junkets.

so do you think:

1. Pats carry 4 QBs

2. O'Connell goes to the practice squad.

3. One of them gets dumped

They all get dumped and NE goes with 2 QB's with the backup being a Llama herder from Bolivia.

I think Peyton Manning would fit in well here as a backup.

Well, acquiring Peyton Manning to be Brady's back up is about as realistic as the Pats acquiring Brett Favre.

Favre isn't coming out of retirement to someone's back up even Brady's. Why would Favre leave his lush life in Mississippi because he misses playing football to hold a clipboard for Brady? Really.

I'm guessing if Favre's only choices are to be a back up anywhere even for the Pats or take the Packers' $20 million and go home and retire, he chooses the money.

PatsWickedPissah:

"Say NO to drugs.
Really."

Actually judging by his comment he must have some really good ones so share them with me.

I am wholly surprised that no one questions the obvious weakness on this loaded team, now that they have signed Lamont Jordan.

There is not an established reserve QB.

BB/SP never let things like that happen, if they have the room to do something about it.

Yep, that lack of a veteran journeyman backup QB really screwed the Pats last year. Once it was obvious that Brady was unable to rollout against the Giants' pass rush, it was very obvious that BB was screwed without the option of Kelly Holcomb. And now this year, if the Pats can't land Byron Leftwich or Gus Frerotte, what will happen next?

Wait, it's too deep into the season with minicamps being finished. I say the Pats should bring back Doug Flutie and Vinny Testaverde, play each of them for a half in each of the pre season games, and announce the winner at the grand opening of the newest Shaw's supermarket in a neighborhood near you.

Or, maybe, just maybe, the management of this Patriots' organization has figured out that they are better off with the quarterbacks that have been working within the organization rather than those that have been released by multiple organizations that lose more games than they win.

Yeah, I second guess decisions - it's part of being a fan. But after emotions subside, I accept that BB and SP know a whole lot more about the players than I do - without me having to take one single sip of the Kool Aid. And I am sure that they have both considered how the team would proceed if Brady were to be injured and a backup would need to take over.

If Brett was willing to be a backup, he'd stay in GB. The whole point is that he isn't. Fail.

I am wholly surprised that no one questions the obvious weakness on this loaded team, now that they have signed Lamont Jordan.

There is not an established reserve QB.

BB/SP never let things like that happen, if they have the room to do something about it. Who do they pickup and sign when he's cut by Pack.

TA DA... Bret Favre for a Total Surprise. He ends his career sitting behind Tom Brady. Pack sends him to AFC, long ways from Vikes and Bears. And the only team where he can't mess up the club.

JC! This again. Why do you think the Patriots drafted O'Connell? Obviously to create some competition among the backup QB's and decide who could actually step in and run what already is a very good offense without Brady(God forbid..knocks on wood 500 times). Favre isn't going through all of this crap to sit on the bench or go to a lousy team like the Jets.

Let me start this once again for the slow learners.

BB/SP ANTCIPATE as much as possible. Sometimes for various reasons, they have to cross their fingers and have to hope, because they can't do anything about it.

They have skirted the abyss for several years as Brady has stayed healthy. But... How many starting QBs played all season, without getting dinged? Not many. How many years in a row do you roll nothing but sevens?

Why sign Lamont Jordon as a fifth RB backup unless he is A) available and B) they can afford to do so?

Why sign Ross and Clement as potential backups on the OL ? They have 8 or 9 adequate or better players, valid NFL O-linemen ? Good enough to get them to a SB last year. Until Neal went down early in the game, along with Faulk. The team then scored 13 points.

The answer: A) they were available B) they had the CAP money to do something about it.

Why didn't they do that last year?

A) They were A) not Available B) They DID NOT have the CAP Room to bring anybody else in.

As to why they went with Cassel with a years less experience?

A) They had NO CAP ROOM. B) They had NO CAP ROOM.

What is so hard to grasp? Situations change.

Cassel may be fine. At last, he has enough time in the system to legitimately know the plays. Can he execute then ? Perhaps. Meanwhile O'Connell is somebody for 2010-11. Gutierrez for 2009-10, maybe.

Who are the likely starters if Brady goes down ?
A) Cassel, or
B) a pickup veteran ex-starter; eg Favre
C) Testaverde ( from Shadow Roster)
D a cast of thousands and it doesn't matter. Wait 'til next year...

I continue to ask the question, where is Favre going to go, and assume the starting QB position for a SB "contendah"? Are the Vikes, Jets, Ravens, Browns, Bears only a QB away from a "contendah" or just mere "pretendahs"? He has said he ONLY wants to go to a "contendah"; so he will have to sit.

Only a "pretendah" might have a starting opening available. I would think the Bears are more seriously a potential winner then the Vikes. The Bears got deep into the playoffs recently, the vikes haven't, although it was a fluke. Neither is really more then a mid-level "pretendah" though.

Actually I would prefer that Pats pick up a ex-starter vet with some brains, to run a safe Offense. That ain't Bret. I really used him as an example. Let the weapons win for him, is the kind of QB that BB would want. I concur.

Let me start this once again for the slow learners.
That was a really long post and I can't imagine it's helpful for slow learners. Let me say something much more straightforward: there is NO WAY IN HELL BRETT FAVRE ENDS UP ON THIS TEAM.

Aside from most of the factors (and there are many) The biggest one would be $$$$$$$$$$

I can certainly understand the concern after watching Cassell against Miami last season. And I'll admit I too would be more comfortable with the traditional starter - experienced vet (Vinny, Flutie) backup - young QB (O'Connell) for the future. I guess BB/SP either like the current backup QB's better than the free agents that are available, and/or the price of others was not a good value (free agent asking for too much, another team asking for too much in a trade.)

As far as I know, these are the quarterbacks with some experience that are available free agents.

Daunte Culpepper
Tim Hasselbeck
Kelly Holcomb
Byron Leftwich
Jamie Martin
Tim Rattay
Chris Weinke

I would have thought that the Pats would have brought in at least one of these guys for a look, perhaps over the summer, but I have to think that they must consider none of them to be an upgrade over Cassell or Gutierrez.

do you really believe that Lord Favre would take a massive, massive paycut just to play backup for a Superbowl favorite?

it makes no sense and goes against everything we've seen from Lord Favre over the years.

and he's a massive jagoff on top of all that.

Oh wow. I had thought this was merely an ANNOYING thread - that someone didn't have the foresight to think, "Hey, the title of this thread may lead some folks to get psyched that we had MADE a surprise trade or pick-up."

But no. In addition to that, you're being completely serious? REALLY? That the Patriots are going to waste a draft pick TRADING for Brett Favre? Good grief. Get real.

I can certainly understand the concern after watching Cassell against Miami last season.

If the Pats were that concerned about Cassel's INT against Miami, why did they put him in before Gutierrez against the Redskins?

You'd think if he were truly in BB's doghouse, they'd have sent him a message by putting Gutierrez in during that fourth-quarter blowout.

If the Pats were that concerned about Cassel's INT against Miami, why did they put him in before Gutierrez against the Redskins?

You'd think if he were truly in BB's doghouse, they'd have sent him a message by putting Gutierrez in during that fourth-quarter blowout.

I think that it is the fans, and not BB, that have concerns about Cassell. If Belichick had his doubts, he wouldn't waste a TC roster spot on him and somebody else would have already taken his place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News