PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Supplemental draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Supplemental draft.

http://patriots.scout.com/a.z?s=121&p=2&c=658045

"At one time rumored to be selected by the New England Patriots in the initial three rounds, sources have told us they would be shocked if New England selects Oliver as they've shown no interest in him to date."

The bench reps isn't necessarily a complete negative. 6'9" means long, long arms (~7' wingspan). Big guys do more work per rep, although a man of his size would be expected to pump them out. May sound like a cop-out, but it usually rings true. He could prolly do 500+ a few times, but tire quickly at reduced weights. I imagine an NFL coach could maximize that.

7.20 cone drill is at the tail end of some DBs this year. Phenomenal.
He's quite an athlete, but reportedly he's also got an attitude.
http://www.gbnreport.com/suppdraft.html
Based on pure physical potential, Gaither may be the best supplemental draft prospect since Bernie Kosar was taken with what turned out to be a #1 pick overall back in the late 1980s, but is a real wild card because of concerns about his level of maturity and work ethic.

Oliver had given serious consideration in applying for the 2007 regular phase of the draft as an underclassman, as the NFL advisory committee labeled him a second round draft choice, but he decided to return to school. On May 17th, the school announced that he was ineligible to play for the upcoming season. Despite his lackluster workout, sources indicate that both New England and San Diego are interested in using a second round choice in their quest to improve their cornerback depth.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/news/i...ll&id=1184022688&archive=&start_from=&ucat=2&

First of all, please understand that the reason I had Oliver rated as 4th rounder at best is nothing personal. It is merely calculation of the risks compared to the benefits. Oliver did not show enough to offset the risks of taking him with a 1st day pick. If his workouts had been outstanding and he had measured out bigger or sturdier than he might have been worth a higher selection, but did not and he was not. You on the other hand relied on some outdated scouting report and had already made up your mind that Oliver would be a star. I'm sorry to say that I do not share your optimism.

No one could sell you on anything because you refuse to do any research for yourself.

Finally, thank you for your long winded response. However in the end, NFL GMs agreed with me and the only one willing to risk a pick for him risked no more than... a 4th round pick. Wow. What a surprise. :cool:

Last edited:

First of all, please understand that the reason I had Oliver rated as 4th rounder at best is nothing personal. It is merely calculation of the risks compared to the benefits. Oliver did not show enough to offset the risks of taking him with a 1st day pick. If his workouts had been outstanding and he had measured out bigger or sturdier than he might have been worth a higher selection, but did not and he was not. You on the other hand relied on some outdated scouting report and had already made up your mind that Oliver would be a star. I'm sorry to say that I do not share your optimism.

BLAH. BLAH. BLAH. Some old unsupported BS from you. Too bad you were WRONG about the Patriots having no interest in him..

All your claims are friggin bogus garbage. Some of the best CBs in the league are the SAME SIZE as Oliver.

I wasn't relying on outdated anything. I was relying on reality. OH, and just because he wasn't taken until the 4th round doesn't mean he's going to stink of anything. But, you don't bother with facts. You ignore the fact that he helped to shut down Calvin Johnson and Sydney Rice and you make up excuses about the QBs.

Finally, thank you for your long winded response. However in the end, NFL GMs agreed with me and the only one willing to risk a pick for him risked no more than... a 4th round pick. Wow. What a surprise. :cool:

Its about value and who blinks first. As for NFL Gms agreeing with you. Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in a while.

http://patriots.scout.com/a.z?s=121&p=2&c=658045

"At one time rumored to be selected by the New England Patriots in the initial three rounds, sources have told us they would be shocked if New England selects Oliver as they've shown no interest in him to date."

They've shown no interest? That's funny because Reiss said that they had Oliver in for a private workout.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2007/07/15/timing_pattern_misfired/?page=4

Mike Reiss said:
The Patriots might have been at odds with agent Jason Chayut during negotiations with receiver Deion Branch last year, but those hard feelings didn't affect the team's scouting of Oliver. Oliver is represented by Chayut, and when the Patriots did not attend Oliver's Pro Day workout but decided to hold their own workout for him, the sides came together to make it happen.

BLAH. BLAH. BLAH. Some old unsupported BS from you. Too bad you were WRONG about the Patriots having no interest in him..

Except that I never claimed that the Pats had NO interest, only that he was worth no more than a 4th round pick. Try looking before you leap my man. :D

All your claims are friggin bogus garbage. Some of the best CBs in the league are the SAME SIZE as Oliver.

I wasn't relying on outdated anything. I was relying on reality. OH, and just because he wasn't taken until the 4th round doesn't mean he's going to stink of anything. But, you don't bother with facts. You ignore the fact that he helped to shut down Calvin Johnson and Sydney Rice and you make up excuses about the QBs.

Its about value and who blinks first. As for NFL Gms agreeing with you. Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in a while.

Bitter much? :cool:

GBN reports Patrick has signed with the Giants. Not a bad move for him, certainly the team with the weakest LT situation going into Training Camp.

Jared Gaither. OT is a top 5 tackle includeing juniors. next year. has talked about going into the sup draft.

The Ravens just keep on drafting, they may get a starting left tackle for a 5th round pick. He would look pretty good as the RT of the future for the Pats.

Last year the Bengals got a starting middle LB (Ahmad Brooks) for a 3rd round pick.

Rant starting ---> I am so pissed at the Patriots last couple of drafts. They need to really evaluate their scouts. <-- Rant over

From Peter King

"9. I think the most amazing story of the preseason -- even more amazing than Leftwich getting whacked -- is that a man bigger than Jonathan Ogden is getting ready to be the heir to Ogden in Baltimore, and it could happen in September. Not that the Ravens are pushing Ogden out the door; they're not. But if he's not healthy enough to play a full season, the Ravens will likely use their fifth-round supplemental-draft pick, 6-9, 345-pound Jared Gaither at the crucial left tackle spot. It's crucial because Steve McNair has grown increasingly immobile late in his career, and Ogden always sealed that left side."
http://si.printthis.clickability.co...r_king/09/02/tucker/index.html&partnerID=2356

Last edited:

Rant starting ---> I am so pissed at the Patriots last couple of drafts. They need to really evaluate their scouts. <-- Rant over

Why? Because they missed the same players (e.g., Marques Colston) that 30 other teams missed? Because they couldn't foresee freak injuries?

Honestly, is there any team that can say they would've drafted exactly the same way if they could do things over? I know the Pats aren't one of them. [Heck, Belichick has already said that he regrets overlooking--albeit justifiably--Wes Welker.]

The Ravens just keep on drafting, they may get a starting left tackle for a 5th round pick. He would look pretty good as the RT of the future for the Pats.

Last year the Bengals got a starting middle LB (Ahmad Brooks) for a 3rd round pick.

From Peter King

"9. I think the most amazing story of the preseason -- even more amazing than Leftwich getting whacked -- is that a man bigger than Jonathan Ogden is getting ready to be the heir to Ogden in Baltimore, and it could happen in September. Not that the Ravens are pushing Ogden out the door; they're not. But if he's not healthy enough to play a full season, the Ravens will likely use their fifth-round supplemental-draft pick, 6-9, 345-pound Jared Gaither at the crucial left tackle spot. It's crucial because Steve McNair has grown increasingly immobile late in his career, and Ogden always sealed that left side."
http://si.printthis.clickability.co...r_king/09/02/tucker/index.html&partnerID=2356
http://www.gbnreport.com/suppdraft.html
Jared Gaither, LT, Maryland… 6-9, 325, JR, 5.15… Entered the 2007 summer supplemental draft when he was declared academically ineligible for the upcoming season; technically would only have been a true junior this fall, but is eligible to jump to the pros because he attended a prep school for a year after high school. Imposing physical presence with the potential to be a shut down LT at the next level; indeed, may be about the closest thing to current Baltimore Pro Bowler Jonathan Ogden to come along in a while, but is still just starting to scratch the surface of his talent; relative newcomer to football who was a basketball player in high school and actually originally signed to play hoops with South Carolina before switching to football; played only one year of prep football and that at DT; tall player with a huge wingspan; naturally strong with good athletic skills including a 36-inch vertical leap which would have been three inches more than the highest figure at this year’s combine; runs well for a big man and is very nimble on his feet; slides around the pocket with ease and can change directions; has excellent balance and can change directions; athletic knee bender, but needs to concentrate on keeping his pads low all the time; not exactly a road grader but is a solid enough run blocker who gets good position and locks on with long arms; did not allow a sack in 2005 when he started every game at LT for the Terps replacing an injured Stephon Heyer; maturity came into question last fall, though, when he reportedly sulked and got into the coaches’ doghouse after being moved to RT when Heyer was granted another year of eligibility; was suspended briefly at camp last fall and was later suspended from last year's bowl game for violating team rules, although it likely related to missing classes; also battled some nagging injuries late last season… Based on pure physical potential, Gaither may be the best supplemental draft prospect since Bernie Kosar was taken with what turned out to be a #1 pick overall back in the late 1980s, but is a real wild card because of concerns about his level of maturity and work ethic. Complicating the decision for many teams will be the fact that the 2008 draft looks like it will be relatively deep at OT. Teams that use a supplemental pick will, of course, lose their selection in that round at the 2008 draft and teams thinking about bidding on Gaither with an early supplemental choice will have to try and project where they will pick next April and which OTs are likely to be available at that time.
Assuming BB still wants people who consider football rather important it seems a little late in the day to be grumping about a kid who has a questionable track record in areas BB considers important.

Time for a mea culpa, I thought Brooks could have been a nice addition and potential starter.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/notebook?page=sundaycountdown07
From ESPN.com 'Players they expected to fill key roles (Ahmad Brooks at middle linebacker, Tab Perry as the third wide receiver) have underachieved'

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News