PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sullivan to play DE?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Patriots | Belichick asking Sullivan to start over
Thu, 15 Jun 2006 19:46:53 -0700

Jerome Solomon and Mike Reiss, of the Boston Globe, report New England Patriots head coach Bill Belichick has asked DT Johnathan Sullivan to forget about his last three seasons and start over with the Patriots, "A lot of things that are done in some schemes aren't done in others." Belichick thinks Sullivan can lineup at end in the 3-4 scheme and some 4-3 alignments. Belichick also addressed Sullivan's weight, "I think it's June. I doubt any player is in top condition at this point."

Will be interesting to see how he does rushing the passer...

I think it's interesting that they would have him play DE..Sure, I think it would be good if he could, but who is backing up Big Daddy Vince?? To me, I would think JS would be a good candidate.. and closer to that than a DE.

He was playing inside with Wilfork when the Pats played the 4-3 during the minicamp.

He's a NT in the 3-4.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

In terms of the defense, the Patriots mixed in some 4-3 and 3-4 alignments during both practices. One 4-3 combination had four first-round picks -- Richard Seymour and Ty Warren at end, and Johnathan Sullivan and Vince Wilfork at tackle. Intriguing.

Last edited:
It would be nice if Le Kevin Smith looked good there, too. A linemen group of:

Seymour/Warren/Green/Hill and Wilfork/Sullivan/LeKevin Smith would be solid.

I think they probably look at him like a poor man's Seymour. Able to play inside and out, probably more inside, but able to play end in the 3-4. I bet they keep a heavy rotation on the big bodies to keep them fresh this year, looks to be good depth.

Just because BB has Sullivan working at 4-3 DE doesn't mean he won't be backing up Wilfork at NT. Remember how much BB values position flexibility.

patsox23 said:
It would be nice if Le Kevin Smith looked good there, too. A linemen group of:

Seymour/Warren/Green/Hill and Wilfork/Sullivan/LeKevin Smith would be solid.
I'd have to ask T-shirt or PNut, but this line-up seems loose.

PromisedLand said:
Just because BB has Sullivan working at 4-3 DE doesn't mean he won't be backing up Wilfork at NT. Remember how much BB values position flexibility.

It also says that Belichick thinks he can line up at 3-4 DE. When we signed him, I really didn't see him as a NT but more of a DE. That's why I really couldn't understand the trade in the first place.

Wasn't he in a 4-3 in college and playing DT next to Seymour?

Box_O_Rocks said:
I'd have to ask T-shirt or PNut, but this line-up seems loose.

No bro, you should be asking me! If you look at my past threads, I'm the originator of bringing the word "tightness" to this messegeboard.

THEARCHIVES said:
No bro, you should be asking me! If you look at my past threads, I'm the originator of bringing the word "tightness" to this messegeboard.
I had been aware of your creative talents, still, I'm partial to the old masters when it comes to great art, or in this case great fertilizer. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes