PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Steroid scandal to hit NFL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patsmaniac

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
I was just watching Fox news and a personal trainer in Dallas who worked with Atlanta Falcons and Cowboys players is going to come forward and name names of players he gave roids to. I dont know all the details but it seemed as though he was a big steroid dealer. It could get very ugly. Im sure it will be all over the news soon.

Hopefully there are no Patriots.

This story could have legs if it turns out the classiness of these franchises was chemically enhanced.

Maybe he gave some to Mike Vanderjerk during his brief stint with the Cowboys.

It'll be interesting to see if the same overly righteous people who are ok with sign stealing but have a big problem with videotaping signs wind up getting bitten by this one.

I think its pretty well accepted and documented that there've been issues with steroids in the NFL... because the nature of the sport is so different than baseball it will likely never be the same type of scandal though.

Sure players are bigger - but whereas baseball performance of batters is measured in homeruns - i.e. where a 5% boost in individual performance makes all the difference in the world to a player and a team - as opposed to the NFL where, no matter how big you are, you're still just a chess piece in a team sport - its just not going to generate the same type of outrage - nor should it.

Regardless there are countless former players out there who have "shrunk" considerably, many of whom have become well respected television analysts who's smaller stature is on display every week.

And yes, I do have my suspicions about certain former Patriots players as well.

This is one scandal I hope does come out, and comes out big; any denial people may be in needs to be blown away. People need to realise the extent of the use before anything long term can be done about it. IMO it's one of those needs to get ugly before it gets better scenarios.

This is a league full of players on steroids and HGH. I think everyone just turns a blind eye to it though...No one seems to care about it when it comes to the NFL, but everyone is up in arms when it's baseball players.

you can also check the story out on sports illustrated.com now.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

POSTED 4:38 p.m. EST; UPDATED 5:05 p.m. EST, November 13, 2007
TRAINER WITH NFL CONNECTIONS PLEADS GUILTY TO STEROIDS CHARGES

A North Texas personal trainer with supposed connections to members of the Cowboys and the Falcons has pleaded guilty to charges of possessing anabolic steroids, with intent to distribute.

Under the deal, David Jacobs will receive a sentence of three years' probation in exchange for spilling the beans to prosecutors about the distribution of illegal steroids.

In October 2005, federal agents seized 10,000 units of steroids from Jacobs' house. Jacobs has admitted to distributing 40,000 units of steroids and several thousand units of Human Growth Hormone.

Cowboys spokesman Rich Dalrymple told KTVT-TV that no players have worked with Jacobs, and that the organization had no knowledge of the charges. The Falcons said the same thing.

Jacobs claims on the web site of his supplement company that he has offered guidance to members of the Cowboys and the Falcons.

Oh God, please let one of them be Michael Vick.

bwahahahah

I gotta say, the smugness the NFL has shown in relation to baseball ("well, we tackled this problem years ago and instituted a very vigorous testing regime") has always really bugged me. The league is quite obviously rife with steroids and HGH, and the testing regime is for PR more than anything else. And sacrificial lambs like Rodney Harrison get thrown to the wolves once in a while to make the league look tough. Rodney took his punishment like a man, though. He knows what's what.

To keep in mind:
what Rodney used - Human Growth Hormone -
is NOT a "steroid".

HGH is a natural product of the human body.
Also banned by the NFL, of course, but
not a steroid.

I gotta say, the smugness the NFL has shown in relation to baseball ("well, we tackled this problem years ago and instituted a very vigorous testing regime") has always really bugged me. The league is quite obviously rife with steroids and HGH, and the testing regime is for PR more than anything else. And sacrificial lambs like Rodney Harrison get thrown to the wolves once in a while to make the league look tough. Rodney took his punishment like a man, though. He knows what's what.

I love Rodney, but the reason he got caught is because he was stupid and careless about it, and not because he was any type of sacrificial lamb for the league. He wasn't caught because of the NFL testing. Actually it seems the only way to get caught is to be careless, and if the players are careful and stealthy enough, they can bypass the testing pretty easily (for steroids that is...for HGH since there is no reliable testing, you really have to be dumb about it to get caught).

But yes, it was refreshing not to hear a lame excuse and instead an apology from a player.

Last edited:
To keep in mind:
what Rodney used - Human Growth Hormone -
is NOT a "steroid".

HGH is a natural product of the human body.
Also banned by the NFL, of course, but
not a steroid.
It's definitely a performance enhancing drug though and an unfair competitive advantage.

I love Rodney, but the reason he got caught is because he was stupid and careless about it, and not because he was any type of sacrificial lamb for the league. He wasn't caught because of the NFL testing. Actually it seems the only way to get caught is to be careless, and if the players are careful and stealthy enough, they can bypass the testing pretty easily.

But yes, it was refreshing not to hear a lame excuse and instead an apology from a player.
Oh, I know that. My point is that the guys who get caught generally do something stupid that gets them caught, but they are necessary for the league so the league can run around pointing at them as examples of how tough they are on "cheaters." The fact that Rodney wasn't caught by the testing regime was a bit awkward for the league, no doubt, but generally people ignored that part of the story for whatever reason. The fact the media folks ignores stuff like that but made such a huge deal out of some stupid videotaping of signals has been one of my biggest annoyances in the whole thing.

The self-righteousness of the whole smarmy lot of them is just so aggravating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News