PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Steroid scandal to hit NFL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rodney got caught because he used his credit card to purchase it

Not trying to cause trouble or anything, just trying to get a feel for whether or not there's any way this heads towards Pats territory: Are there any ties between NE and Dallas/Atlanta that could cause problems? Was this guy operating when Woicik was a coach in Dallas?

Like I said, not an accusation, just wondering if there's any potential for fallout up here.

It'll be interesting to see if the same overly righteous people who are ok with sign stealing but have a big problem with videotaping signs wind up getting bitten by this one.

I think its pretty well accepted and documented that there've been issues with steroids in the NFL... because the nature of the sport is so different than baseball it will likely never be the same type of scandal though.

Sure players are bigger - but whereas baseball performance of batters is measured in homeruns - i.e. where a 5% boost in individual performance makes all the difference in the world to a player and a team - as opposed to the NFL where, no matter how big you are, you're still just a chess piece in a team sport - its just not going to generate the same type of outrage - nor should it.

Regardless there are countless former players out there who have "shrunk" considerably, many of whom have become well respected television analysts who's smaller stature is on display every week.

And yes, I do have my suspicions about certain former Patriots players as well.

Mark Shlereth really "shrinky-dinked..."

POSTED 4:53 p.m. EST, November 14, 2007

STEROIDS DISTRIBUTOR SNITCHES ON COWBOYS

The Dallas Morning News reports that the man who pleaded guilty on Tuesday to possession of steroids with intent to distribute has provided to federal investigators the names of former -- and current -- members of the Dallas Cowboys to whom he provided steroids.

David Jacobs, 35, pleaded guilty and agreed to cooperate with prosecutors in identifying the persons to whom steroids were distributed.

It's an unusual move; usually, prosecutors start with the folks on the bottom of the operation and work upstream. In this case, however, the high profile of Jacobs' customers is prompting authorities to move in the other direction. Celebrities and other well-known people make for desirable targets of such prosecutions because the chilling effect is much more pronounced, due to the media coverage of the situation.

The names of the players in question have not yet been released publicly.

Since the Cowboys/Falcons may be implicated, my #1 candidate for steroid use is Marion Barber.

It would be interesting to see what a non Patriot will get for a fine/suspension....I also have to wonder how much this will effect their run to the Superbowl...

Oh please, oh please, oh please be Patrick Crayton and Terrell Owens.

PUH-lease. Roids? Like anybody on this board doesn't think that every team has somebody doing them?

If the world was smart, which it isn't, it would have regulated an educational system about steroid use, not a legal system.

Now we're trapped into a system of crime and punishment, and calls of "cheaters" and all that crap. Now we have a system that is going to bite us in the ass by branding large numbers of players as cheats, and throwing everything into chaos, when we already KNOW they're doing it.

PUH-lease. Roids? Like anybody on this board doesn't think that every team has somebody doing them?

If the world was smart, which it isn't, it would have regulated an educational system about steroid use, not a legal system.

Now we're trapped into a system of crime and punishment, and calls of "cheaters" and all that crap. Now we have a system that is going to bite us in the ass by branding large numbers of players as cheats, and throwing everything into chaos, when we already KNOW they're doing it.

How many Dallas fans, and for that matter, fans of other teams have been whining about asterisks and spygate for the last ten weeks? Yeah, I'm sure tons of athletes use them, just like tons of coaches record signs. We'll see how other fanbases respond when their team is singled out.

I can name one player that doesn't use roids.
Wes Welker.
In last week's "Patriots All Access" they had their usual post game locker room shot and Welker is such a girly mon. No muscle definition at all. I was surprised particularly because the only slightly larger Troy Brown is really buffed. I think I'll go kick sand in Welker's face at the beach.

Rodney got caught because he used his credit card to purchase it

One the Steelers team physicians was caught purchasing $160,000 worth of HGH using his personal credit card during the same sting. He was quietly fired by the Steelers and the NFL/media just let it go.:eek: Amazing.

One the Steelers team physicians was caught purchasing $160,000 worth of HGH using his personal credit card during the same sting. He was quietly fired by the Steelers and the NFL/media just let it go.:eek: Amazing.

I hear he is now playing center for the Houston Rockets.

Was I the only one thinking this thread was about Ricky W. returning to the NFL ? :D

I can name one player that doesn't use roids.
Wes Welker.
In last week's "Patriots All Access" they had their usual post game locker room shot and Welker is such a girly mon. No muscle definition at all. I was surprised particularly because the only slightly larger Troy Brown is really buffed. I think I'll go kick sand in Welker's face at the beach.

Hey! Keep recreational coastal thuggery out of it!

:singing:

Whats amazing is that someone has a credit card with a $160,000 limit :)

I remember when Terry Glenn was here ... the subject of diet and working out came up. Glenn liked hjis McDonalds, soda, candy ... most junk food. I thought it was pretty funny at the time and it explains alot really.

You have guys like Glenn, Moss to name a few that are overloaded with talent. Other guys want to be that so bad they sell their soul to the devil. Then we cheer them on because we have no idea who is using and who is not. But the insiders know ... to me they are just as guilty as the users. The owners, agents, trainers, coaches ... they should suffer some consequences also.

Oh please, oh please, oh please be Patrick Crayton and Terrell Owens.
If it was TO I'd find that very funny. If it was Crayton I'd love it just to see the jerk shut up. But most likely neither.

Getting Healthy

It's definitely a performance enhancing drug though and an unfair competitive advantage.

Before you joined we had quite a go-round here about that.
Most posters took the prohibitionist viewpoint.

I, and a few others, tried to explain that it is a healing agent.
It enhances performance the same way
an operation ... or a whirlpool ... or a flak jacket does.
It lets you return to the field faster. That's all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots