PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Stephen Neal to Reserve/PUP, O'Callaghan to IR, Webster, Eckel, and Wendell released

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Stephen Neal to Reserve/PUP, O'Callaghan to IR, Webster, Eckel, and Wendell relea

We should have figured this out when they signed Flynn.. but then it is what we do on Pats Fans.com

Last edited:
Re: Stephen Neal to Reserve/PUP, O'Callaghan to IR, Webster, Eckel, and Wendell relea

We should have figured this out when they signed Flynn.. but then it is what we do on Pats Fans.com

Flynn has been a starter his whole career, I'm confident he can hold the fort through week 6.

Within all this subterfuge and not having a injury report after the super bowl...does ANYONE know what really happened to Neal? My initial guess was a ACL-type knee, makes sense. But to all those who gave Jackson a free pass last year because of a knee injury in the playoffs the previous year.....are we really looking for ANY contribution from Neal this year? When he comes back will he start or be a backup til he is fully healed?

Flynn has been a starter his whole career, I'm confident he can hold the fort through week 6.

6 years as a Center only 2 at RG - We will see soon enough if he has IT or not

Not necessarily, though Welbourne looks to have a shot. I think they may risk SOME lack of depth (based partly on Neal's return) to keep someone like Slater or Ventrone around longer.

No they won't. The Pats need to have at least 8 O-linemen and 4 of those 8 need to be able to play OT. My bet is that Welbourn and Flynn end up making the team and someone like Yates (who's been horrible) or Hochstein (who's been horrible) gets cut.

I'd think Mike Flynn may stick since he plays both positions occupied by O'Callaghan and Neal.

To the best of my knowledge, O'Callaghan was only an OT while Neal was only a RG (though he might have been and emergency OT).

Flynn is a C/G
Welborn is a G/T.

The next 22 moves are going to be a doozy.

I see 12 easy cuts: Stephen Sene, Jimmy Martin, Jonathan Stupar, Tyson DeVree, C.J. Jones, Matt Cassel, BenJarvus Green-Ellis, Titus Adams, Vince Redd, Bo Ruud, Jeff Shoate, Mark Dillard.

After that, who knows. However, these 15 shouldn't stray too far away this weekend: Chad Jackson, Sam Aiken, Ray Ventrone, Matthew Slater, Mike Flynn, Russ Hochstein, Stephen Spach, Kenny Smith, Steve Fifita, Santonio Thomas, Victor Hobson, Eric Alexander, Lewis Sanders, Mike Richardson, Jonathan Wilhite.

(I actually think two of these four receivers will make it, as will one of the three CBs on this list.)

To the best of my knowledge, O'Callaghan was only an OT while Neal was only a RG (though he might have been and emergency OT).

Flynn is a C/G
Welborn is a G/T.

Then Welborn gets the job.

Within all this subterfuge and not having a injury report after the super bowl...does ANYONE know what really happened to Neal? My initial guess was a ACL-type knee, makes sense. But to all those who gave Jackson a free pass last year because of a knee injury in the playoffs the previous year.....are we really looking for ANY contribution from Neal this year? When he comes back will he start or be a backup til he is fully healed?

Neal's injury was his shoulder. Its the same injury that he missed games during the season with. He wasn't 100% when he came back for the play-offs. And the pounding the O-line took led to him re-injuring his shoulder.

I don't know if shoulder injuries take as long to heal as an ACL. The pats not drafting a guard was the only thing that surprised me in this past draft. However, I like the players they did pick up.

The next 22 moves are going to be a doozy.

I see 12 easy cuts: Stephen Sene, Jimmy Martin, Jonathan Stupar, Tyson DeVree, C.J. Jones, Matt Cassel, BenJarvus Green-Ellis, Titus Adams, Vince Redd, Bo Ruud, Jeff Shoate, Mark Dillard.

After that, who knows. However, these 15 shouldn't stray too far away this weekend: Chad Jackson, Sam Aiken, Ray Ventrone, Matthew Slater, Mike Flynn, Russ Hochstein, Stephen Spach, Kenny Smith, Steve Fifita, Santonio Thomas, Victor Hobson, Eric Alexander, Lewis Sanders, Mike Richardson, Jonathan Wilhite.

(I actually think two of these four receivers will make it, as will one of the three CBs on this list.)

I would not characterize Matt Cassel to be an "easy cut" by any stretch.

No they won't. The Pats need to have at least 8 O-linemen and 4 of those 8 need to be able to play OT. My bet is that Welbourn and Flynn end up making the team and someone like Yates (who's been horrible) or Hochstein (who's been horrible) gets cut.

There's no way Hochstein gets cut, and very little chance Yates gets cut.

So it looks like 5 RB's..

If you ask around here, he is. However I know what you mean. I was hesitant to put him as an easy cut. I get the feeling he sticks around another year, or until we find an adequate vet, and O'Connell or Gutierrez make the practice squad.

Last edited:

Eight..and that is if all but one are ready to play...SO if Light isn't ready...I think they may need 9..

If you ask around here, he is. However I know what you mean. I was hesitant to put him as an easy cut. I get the feeling he sticks around another year, or until we find an adequate vet, and O'Connell or Gutierrez make the practice squad.

No way O'Connell would survive on practice squad.

Regardless, it's Cassel or Guttierrez, all the same when it comes to finalizing 53 that includes 3 QBs.

I agree with those cuts and then would say from the list provided that these seven are likely gone:

Ray Ventrone
Stephen Spach
Kenny Smith
Steve Fifita
Santonio Thomas,
Lewis Sanders
Mike Richardson

Last edited by a moderator:

There's no way Hochstein gets cut, and very little chance Yates gets cut.

Pats1 -
Hochstein has been atrocious since the end of last season. And Yates is making Hochstein look like he's playing good.

I don't think either of them are safe. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Pats watching the waiver wire and potentially bring in someone else who gets let go.

Pats1 -
Hochstein has been atrocious since the end of last season. And Yates is making Hochstein look like he's playing good.

I don't think either of them are safe. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Pats watching the waiver wire and potentially bring in someone else who gets let go.

Like Mike Richardson?

(sorry, sorry...)

But seriously, Hochstein has been a staple on this offensive line for years, and has been able to start in a pinch, and has performed at a reasonable level. They won't cut him for a few perceived screw-ups lately, especially given his track record and the current state of the OL. No way. He's as safe as Light, Mankins, and Koppen.

Right. The first order of business would be to trim the fat from the bottom of the roster (DeVree, Stupar, Dillard, Adams, etc.), and I certainly wouldn't consider Cassel to be in that group.

Pats1 -

Hochstein is Koppen's back-up at center,they won't cut him.He's also worked at center with Tom Brady.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST